The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #176
PatsFanWilly

Re: What I can afford, when I can afford it... 70 Chevy LWB

Just checked out your build for the first time. Gonna be a pretty sweet ride. Congrats on the baby girl from western Kansas.
PatsFanWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #177
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFanWilly View Post
Just checked out your build for the first time. Gonna be a pretty sweet ride. Congrats on the baby girl from western Kansas.
Thanks Willy I appreciate you checking out my progress, nice to meet another Kansan on the board. Thanks for the comments on the truck if I end up with what I want of this build, it'll looks clean, mostly stock, safe for the family, could be a daily driver if it had to be, and something that can still be put to work when I need a truck. Thanks for the baby congrats. The kiddo is 4 weeks old now, Time is flying by! Heading out now to get the garage warmed up and hopefully accomplish something today.

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #178
sduckworth13

Your truck really is looking awesome, your doing a great job.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #179
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Your truck really is looking awesome, your doing a great job.
Thanks Scott! Just trying to keep at it when I can. Maybe it'll be ready for a little cruising this summer.

I got I got a couple things done today, manifolds painted and bolted on. With a stock grey.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #180
KSWes

Snail's pace would be a good way to describe my progress. Only been working on the weekends, takes a while to heat up the garage and going out in the evenings on weeknights hasn't been on the agenda. But I am still moving forward. Got an under bed tank installed last weekend. It's the new tank LMC is selling. Basically a blazer tank with fill tube welded in the top and not the side. It's a new option they just started selling about 6 months ago. Same price as the side mount. Having the filler in the bed wasn't my first choice but I didn't really want to cut a hole in the side of the bed either. So in my mind its the lesser of two evils.

Ordered everything to run new 3/8" steel gas line and that's my goal for the weekend to connect the tank to the pump, regulator, filter, and carb. I also ordered wiring accessories to get started on that. I decided on convoluted tubing and heat shrink to route the new wiring harness. They have a newer style woven wiring loom that looks really good also but for the extra price I decided to go this route. It's what manufacturers use and it's easy to install because it's spilt down the middle. It makes a nice and clean install if you use the heat shrink and T fittings they make for it. Hopefully I'll have a lot more pictures to share by the end of the weekend we have snow and ice headed or way so I am hopeful I'll be able to just tinker in the garage all weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #181
Bomp

Sounds like a plan.
You say you're moving at a snails pace, way faster than me. lol 64 hour work week last week for me and no shop time. Your flyin !
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #182
Low Elco

Hey, enjoy that baby! It'll be there. Looks like good progress to me!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #183
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hey, enjoy that baby! It'll be there. Looks like good progress to me!
Thanks Chip! Definitely enjoying the baby, she sleeps a lot so I can sneak out and get some truck time in on the weekends. I really am looking forward to it being a little warmer. I'll bring her out in the garage in her bouncy chair and she can keep me company.

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.
You say you're moving at a snails pace, way faster than me. lol 64 hour work week last week for me and no shop time. Your flyin !
You know what they say about all Work and no play, hope you're getting some sweet overtime checks. I did get a couple things accomplished. New fuel hard lines from the tank to the fuel pump,

And to the fuel filter:

then from the frame rail to the fuel feed tube on the engine, to the regulator and carb.

Should be ready to start installing the wiring harness this weekend if I have time to work on her.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #184
Low Elco

Good lookin' tube work. Man, that green stuff is a lot easier to deal with.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #185
KSWes

Quote:
Good lookin' tube work. Man, that green stuff is a lot easier to deal with.
Really nice to bend up the green stuff, just used one of those springy looking tube benders mostly used for copper. I kinked a couple pieces and had to start over on a few things but over all I'm happy with it and it should last another 40 years.

Question for you Chip, I know you got with Bruce on the fuel tank vent system and wondering what you ended up doing for your vent set up? This blazer tank only has one vent port on the side. And if I use one of these unvented caps in the bed, I'm assuming I'll have to run a evap charcoal cannister. What do you think?

Old 03-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #186
Low Elco

Man, I dunno. Look up "II much fab fuel vent" and see what's up. Looks like the best plan to me! I never got to start.

http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/fuelvent2.html
Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #187
KSWes

Quote:
Man, I dunno. Look up "II much fab fuel vent" and see what's up. Looks like the best plan to me! I never got to start.

http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/fuelvent2.html
That's a pretty sweet product. I'll have to see if I can squeeze it into the budget. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #188
mcbassin
Still Learning

This is a great project. I'm glad I found it. Love all the work you have done so far. Have to admit I'm jealous I'm not to that point myself. Keep up the good work! subscribed...
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #189
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
This is a great project. I'm glad I found it. Love all the work you have done so far. Have to admit I'm jealous I'm not to that point myself. Keep up the good work! subscribed...
Thanks Mike I appreciate it!

I have a punch list I've been marking a lot off lately. However, my wife mentioned getting the camper out for a 4th of July lake trip. (Baby's first vacation I guess) The last time we used the camper, the truck was running and pulled it there and back. I could borrow a truck if I had to, but I don't like that option at all. And as much as I've enjoyed working on it I always enjoyed driving it a lot more. So the clock has been ticking a lot louder in my head lately to get it done.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #190
KSWes

Been busy on electrical over the last couple of weeks, and getting the interior a little more buttoned up. Dropped off a seat at the upholsterer on Monday and they've already got it done, picking it up today. Pictures of the new seat coming this evening. Should have the base painted and the seat ready to install this weekend. Some pics of the work so far.

I am using this on the rear frame rail as a junction box for trailer wiring and also the rear tail/running lights I used one to rewire a trailer a couple years ago and really like the way it keeps things looking clean so I decided to eliminate the factory rubber plugs in the back.

Got my wire boots installed in my door jams. And also got door pins installed since it didn't have them from the factory so that will control the dome lights and also be a door trigger for the alarm system.

Next I had to figure out a way to get wires from the middle of my upper windshield to under the dash. And to my knowledge there is no really easy way to do this. I couldn't find a hole from the A pillar to above the sun visor hole. I know that trucks with clearance light must have them. but they must only have drilled the hole if that option was used. I would have thought it would have been uniform between all cabs and it may be. But I couldn't find it. So I had to figure out another way. three evening of fishing and I finally got it done.

It was the wife's idea to use weed eater string to fish with, and it was the best out of all the options I had so credit to her for that one.

The compass/temp/auto dimming mirror was the reason for all the effort. I looked all over the board to see if anyone had an easy way. And many had tucked it under the windshield rubber and it looks fine but wiring is what I enjoy most and wasn't willing to accept that there wasn't another way.

So it wasn't easy but it's done now. I had to fish wires from the mirror to the sun visor hole. Then I fished the wires up the rear pillar and forward under the drivers side drip rail but it's a tight fit and it's not all open in there so you have to be patient and if you're lucky enough to have a small hole where the two peices of metal come together (rear inside steel to headliner steel above right shoulder) you can use that hole to help guide your fish string. I tried to pull the 4 wire bundle through, but it was too big to go. so I had to fish one at a time.

Very tedious, and at times maddening but in my mind worth it.

Also passenger door is all back together wires connected to the door lock actuators so all the door wiring is complete.

Next on the list is gauges I ended up going to Ryan Hubbard (Board Member) to get one of his aluminum gauge panels. And he's a busy guy so I had to wait a bit to get mine but it was worth the wait. I painted the center parts with black Wrinkle paint to make it look factory. The outside ring is getting painted silver tonight so other than the gauges going in it. For Krylon paint I'm pretty happy with the wrinkle finish.

More wiring this weekend, battery box going back in and radiator also. I want to hear it run.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #191
KSWes

Got the seat back this afternoon. Came back looking exactly like I had hoped.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #192
VA72C10
VA72C10

Everything looks great!
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #193
sduckworth13

That's a great looking seat, really like the design.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #194
Bomp

Seat and bezel look great.
Hats off to ya for pulling all them wires.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #195
KSWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Everything looks great!
Appreciate it!

Quote:
That's a great looking seat, really like the design.
Thanks Scott. Interior shop in Downtown KC fair price and great work. A basic black vinyl I'm ready for some seared legs this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Seat and bezel look great.
Hats off to ya for pulling all them wires.
Thanks Bomp, eventually it became a personal challenge and I wasn't going to let it beat me.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #196
KSWes

Didn't get too far over the weekend a little painting done on some stuff that needed to be shot black. Seat Base, battery box, charcoal canister bracket. radiator hold down's that's about it. Wasn't a very efficient worker this weekend.

I had some aluminum pieces bent to use to mount some stuff under the dash. Worked pretty good and just used a tap to thread the holes so I wouldn't have to mess with putting a nut on the back side, in case I need to remove anything once it's mounted permanently.

This next picture shows where it will be permanently mounted directly behind the gauge cluster.

There is another piece of Aluminum mounted on the left side that goes up to the fire wall, that is where I'll be mounting the fuse block.

Got the seat mounted to the base that I painted. I think it looks pretty good in there. I'm gong to have to drill new holes for this seat base. They don't quite match up to the factory holes. Will have to make some reinforcement plates also to go on the bottom side of the cab. Don't really want the bolts coming through. I still have a little panel adhesive left over from doing my door skins, so I'm going to use that instead of welding on the plates since the cab is already painted.

Carpet, and seat belts on the way. Should have the seat ready to bolt in by the time that get's here. Mounting the fuse block and getting down to business with terminating all the wiring so I'll be a little closer to fire up.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #197
sduckworth13

Wes, that's cool. I had the Interior Shop do some buddy buckets for me a couple years ago.
I don't know how they stay in business, they are super cheap and do outstanding work.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #198
Low Elco

Good lookin' work! Getting close to the first fire-up?

PS-You got a baby, no baby pics? This is BS, Man.... We need some baby 'round here!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #199
KSWes

Quote:
Wes, that's cool. I had the Interior Shop do some buddy buckets for me a couple years ago.
I don't know how they stay in business, they are super cheap and do outstanding work.
Had never been in there before, but had driven by it a dozen times and had it in the back of my mind to stop by and talk to them when I was ready to have the seat done. And I knew I couldn't beat the price when I finally did stop by so I just left it there and they had it done in 3 days, I'm not sure if that's their usual turn around time or if it's just a slow time for them. But still super fast and great work. I only wish I had taken a before picture cause it was rough. Had been hanging in a barn under a tarp for about 7 years, the foam was in great shape though which saved me a bit, other than the normal spot on the drivers side bottom cushion that always gets trashed.

Quote:
Good lookin' work! Getting close to the first fire-up?

PS-You got a baby, no baby pics? This is BS, Man.... We need some baby 'round here!
Thanks Chip! just tinkering a little at a time. Was working on getting the gauge cluster assembled last night but forgot to take a couple pictures, decided to just work on that in the house so I could hang out with Mama and baby.

My goal is to have the wiring and the interior wrapped up sometime in April, and should be 97% ready to fire up once the wiring is done. Then ready for the exhaust, alignment and back under a cover when that's done until the rest of the paint is done. (front fenders, hood, cowl panel, and bed bed parts still need paint)

And PS

My wife brought baby Stella by my office for her first visit to dad's work. We were waiting until she'd gotten the majority of her vaccinations. It was fun getting to show her off... She's growing a lot, already put on a couple of pounds and a few ounces. Starting to get more expressive and getting more of a personality. I can't wait for it to finally get a little warmer so she can spend more time outside, really looking forward to some windows and doors open a little more often.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #200
KSWes

A little progress over the weekend. Interior a little more together.

Carpet in.

I set the seat in and got it lined up where I wanted it to go, and then had to make some mounting plates to stick on the bottom of the cab and I should've took a couple pictures as I was working. But for me I always forget to take a few shots during the progress, I only take pictures when I'm done for the day. Oh well.

Got some of the plastic kick panels from LMC and I think they turned out looking good with a little extra help from me, there was no specific way of mounting it to the metal (other than what fits under the weather strip) and there was no padding on the back. So I had to get crafty and I went to Hancock Fabric and got some cushion foam and cut it to fit the back of the panels and then used some spray adhesive for foam. Then drilled some holes and used some finishing washers with some countersunk sheet metal screw from home depot to make it look like it was supposed to be there in addition to the lip of it fitting under the weather strip around the door. The last thing I wanted to do was create rattles with these things and if I had just put them on there without the foam as is. it would have been a rattling mother.

Stainless Steel door guards that have been waiting their turn since Christmas Thank you sister in law and grandmother in law.

Pretty much it for the weekend, I got all the air conditioner vents put back in but forgot to shoot a pick of that. I'll have some more pictures in a few days.

I'm probably going to order the AC system this week from Old Air Products. It's a big chunk of money. Been putting off ordering it and I know going without AC in the summer in KS is not a very comfortable option, especially if I want the wife and baby to ride along and it's not just my truck it's a family vehicle so it needs to be comfortable for all of us.