The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #176
trac209

Re: Mr. Hyde's Ride

Coming along nice
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #177
Mr.Hyde

I have to admit seeing how easily these can be turned into flat beds I was tempted but I'd hate to lose that over all shape and something about a flat deck on a half ton is just wrong :/

Member of tailgate association of manitoba
Mr.Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #178
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
I have to admit seeing how easily these can be turned into flat beds I was tempted but I'd hate to lose that over all shape and something about a flat deck on a half ton is just wrong :/
My buddy did a flat deck with removable rails but it was a work truck he used on the farm. Looked fine but would I cruise around the city with it no.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #179
Mr.Hyde

haha ya me and the girlfriend are talking about a road trip down to california once the truck is done to check out the car scene.

Anyways here is my update for the project, I fitted the bod panels for test fit i can see where i need some shims and what needs to be massaged.

still have to slowly put the motor together get ready for the first fire up hopefully mid summer holding off till almost everything is done to do the interior its just not a priority compared to mechanical and paint. i only really have a few months with weather decent enough to paint and thats not even accounting for rain days. also found a cool coolant overflow tank.

since i want this to be a welding shop truck the girlfriend and i made some knobs with a bit of inspiration.

whats up next for the list of what i need to do is finish the cross sills for the bed drill a few dozen holes there, put motor together slowly, and the biggest thing you will be seeing over the next few months is the paint job.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:13 AM   #180
Mr.Hyde

managed to get a fair amount done today, after stripping the body i didnt really find anything that was a huge concern or surprise, all my rust was pretty much just out in the open. i say that now... anyways heres some picture of the progress this weekend.. cab is stripped seam sealed and roughed up in bondo ready to get a good sanding and skim coat. then hopefully in a couple weeks it will be time to prime.

seems like i may get an extra day this weekend to work in the shop so i will be aiming to get it ready for paint almost as soon as i walk in the following weekend. the goal this summer is just to get everything painted and looking like a truck again

Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #181
Mr.Hyde

no work done today but was out and about looking at options for how to do the bed.

I ended up deciding i will be using a flat bar 1"x1/4"x97" for the retaining straps for the wood painted flat black to match the truck, then counter sunk bolts to give it a clean flat look. great, cost 70$

now my big issue here is i dont know what kind of wood to use i dont want to throw oak or a nice hard wood in but i want something that will withstand some abuse, so i was looking at pine any advice on this? I am just looking to make this a nice truck to use and work with as a daily driver. even the idea of a ply wood with grooves routed in for the straps to give it that wood look for cheap has come up. has anyone taken a cheap route with the wood beds?

edit: also as a side note if i should choose to hit the mounting bolts from cross sill to frame should i be worried about the boards wandering out of position at all are their any concerns about doing it this way instead of the stock bed? i want to just to a 1/2 inch by long 1/4 inch groove each side of the boards as a hold down..

Last edited by Mr.Hyde; 04-25-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: save from double post
Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #182
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice progress on the Cab. Looking forward to next update.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #183
Mr.Hyde

So it has been awhile since I've posted anything I think it's time for an update!

kept blocking and bondo-ing the cab just about done, I've been told that I'm being a bit obsessive about the body work... personally thats what i want to hear. Went to a swap meet and picked up a lot of interesting things!

I picked up a steering wheel was told out of a 70-80 thought hmm for 2$ Why not! ill let you judge the fit.

heres another of the steering wheel but i also picked up these mirrors for 12$ for both which i didnt think was too bad seemed to match the body lines of the c10

Now for the good stuff! i ended up meeting up with a fellow member picked up a bench seat in amazing condition!

another awesome find for 80$ which is an aircleaner i wanted to originally put on but couldnt justify spending the 200-400$ on something that looks cool also note i picked up an hei distributor for 30$

This weekend i have more bondo planned maybe finish stripping some of the front end panels to start on those or finish up sanding the rest of the paint off and start planning some upholstery. i want to refurbish the door panels make a dash pad and refurbish my gauge cluster.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #184
trac209

Nice additions
Old 05-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #185
Mr.Hyde

Hey all, been working on the truck all weekend so far and took some time away from doing bondo work to do a bit of mechanical and fit up. Ended up buying an alternator, wires, master cylinder and distributor hold down bracket just so I could cross a few things off the ol' list. I figure as long as I cross at least 1 thing off a weekend I'm doing pretty good.

Did the cluster, I was given two one in terrible condition that sat in the truck but face plate was fine, and another that had a smashe face plate but internals were spotless.

It was a nice warm day so i decided I would go through all my small parts and paint anything that needed it with some tremclad just to sharpen it up.

now I have a 283 w/ 305 heads I'm not too sure if I have this mounted correctly I'll post multiple pictures and angles of the alternator.

Here i have the bed cross sills all lined up ready to go i think all I'm going to do with those it give them a good coat of rustoleum or tremclad next weekend to offer up some protection.

I would like to get in there today and do some bondo work finish stripping the cab and start on the outter fenders. The plan is to do the body work on the body panel strip it down and prep it for paint the best i can bolt it on and make sure it fits. i was told to do my bondo the way i would be looking at it. but thats my big issue is i dont know what i can to for paint.. should i rattle can the primer and just paint the inside of the panels then send the whole thing to a paint shop put together or should i do each panel individual and rent a generator to run my compressor and have a mediocre paint booth?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #186
Mr.Hyde

so I've been thinking about the whole paint situation and how to get it done without wrecking all the prep work and everything. And tell me if I'm crazy but what i want to do is do all the bondo work and primer. spray the insides of the fenders where they wont be able to reach, the door jams etc and then when everything is said and done hit the body shop get the paint and glass done all in one go. and just have the bed on 3/4" spacers for the time being.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #187
trac209

If your going to a body shop why not just have them paint and primer the insides of the panels. If they are going to paint they will want to paint over primer they applied for best results and doesn't lead to an issue later. I'd just have them do it If I were you,no reason to risk a reaction when they paint stuff. Just my two cents
Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #188
Mr.Hyde

because they would have to pull all the panels and the bed off too paint the seams and inbetween panels.. id assume.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #189
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice score on all the new parts. I kinda dig that style of steering wheel. I have had a few of the square bodies. Always loved their wheels better than the 67-72
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #190
Mr.Hyde

I was kind of picturing things on the truck as i was shopping for them i figured that it would good with the steering wheel and those mirrors. they almost share the same shape as the body. I'm just kind of stuck with doing the paint in a way i can keep working on the truck and not be stuck in paint jail for too long.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #191
Mr.Hyde

So been plugging away on the truck and have stripped it some more using paint thinner to get those hard to reach areas. Painted the inner fenders today, the rock shield and the back of the cab. Was planning to do more then it started to thunder a bit and get too humid so I'll have to keep going another day. I'm aiming to finish painting the cab forward end of July I'll have to rent a generator to power my compressor due to my power restrictions. I'll see if I can post pictures from my phone if not should be up shortly. also ran out of the rocker rubberized paint

Last edited by Mr.Hyde; 06-28-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: fix pictures
Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #192
Mr.Hyde

Picked up more paint today, decided to do a test. I painted my dash with tremclad industrial and tremclad primer. Went on super smooth, dry times are pretty long and I've done other small parts with tremclad ind. and it is tough as nails. So I'm thinking of doing the whole interior in this so I can keep going. Dash was stripped down to bare the primer, after that multiple good coats of semi gloss. Still wet it the picture but will go down to a nice satin sheen. I'm leaving the exterior for now I noticed some air pockets in my bondo that basically peeled off so I will have to go over the cab make sure there aren't more. I plan on doing the exterior with an epoxy primer and most likely a single stage ename something like sem hotrod black with white on the roof. I'm leaving the dash till Tuesday to let it dry completely sand and imperfections and do another coat. Did my whole floor kickers and rear of the cab in rubberized paint it will act as a nice sound deadener. I'm wondering if I will need a dynomat under the carpet aswell. How far do you guys go up the fire wall? Did you replace the old insulated panels with just dynomat?
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #193
Rusbuilt

You're moving right along! Nice job!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #194
Mr.Hyde

Just a quick little update picture.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #195
Mr.Hyde

Made some assembly progress, hopefully I'll be able to finish painting the interior this week and some of the engine compartment. It will give me lots to work on over the winter if I can't get around to doing my paint this summer. I had to take a break from bondo it was just driving me crazy and I don't have any patients for it. Ontop of that it started to bubble in a few small places so I have to sand that down to bare metal again. I have some pictures to post as soon as I get to my computer and I have tons of questions I'll be doing searches on. This is how I spend my Canada day because mosquito bites and fire works don't impress me.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #196
Mr.Hyde

Ok, so here are the pictures and questions I have

-is this the correct linkage for a quardajet 17082222? I did notice that there is a stud for the linkage. Am I able to drill this out or do I have to find a linkage with this stud? also where does the return spring go? Is this correct or does it matter?

- do the pedal line up like this? or am i missing something i have noticed studs on the floors are these for springs or are they for a bump stop?

- the window wiper assembly what does the center portion look like that connects the two mechanisms?

-does the z bar look correct in this picture?

-for some reason the shift linkage doesnt fit properly i dont know if this is due to the arms being incorrect or what and info on this?

- wondering what exactly fills this hole? I recall something about a choke? but is this carb not electric choke?

here is a bright side the dash is put more together.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #197
swamp rat

I don't have a standard so not too much help, but i believe the pedals should be pretty close to each other, don't know if you have an aftermarket brake master and booster or stock. There should be some adjustment bolts up under the dash.

I believe the intake may be for an EGR model, just fab an aluminum plate and bolt it on with a gasket. The hole for the Bi-Metalic choke spring on a Rochester resides right at the middle of the carb body.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #198
Mr.Hyde

It's just a master cylinder from napa I need a booster still. Facing a plate will be easy, you are referring to the 2 holes with 2 bolts?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #199
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
It's just a master cylinder from napa I need a booster still. Facing a plate will be easy, you are referring to the 2 holes with 2 bolts?
Yes with the triangular gasket. Just use a piece of aluminum 3/16 plate and cut one.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #200
Mr.Hyde

Well since I'm posting I'm going to throw up a picture of the interior freshly painted I think this weekend I'm going to do the peel and seal and carpet then I can re install the seat. Paint the inside of the panels so I can do a full nice paint job when the time comes. Having the interior done is nice because it gives me plenty of assembly time and lets me see progress.

Has anyone made a wood dash "pad"?

Hopefully this weekend the truck will be ready for either bondo or dtm primer. I will be taking plenty of pictures. Pushing to have paint done by the end of this month! oh and to add next time i buy a project I'm buying one thats put together!
Attached Images