The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #1976
focusedontheprize

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Congrats Mechanixman

This past weekend I put the windshield in and painted my split exhaust manifolds from Tom Langdon. Was a bit under the weather, so this weekend I have to pick up a lot of the slack.

Goal is to order the rims and tires this week and start figuring out about the exhaust. I want this thing moving!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #1977
la hi

I painted the interior of the 57 red. Then I installed (or in the process of installing) the navy blue headliner from truck shop.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #1978
sqrlnts

Spent 6 hours installing drivers side retractable 3 point seat belt in my 57. Safety sucks
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #1979
Dan in Pasadena

Sqrlnts, Where did you source your seat belts? I've been watching Craigslist for trucks/SUV's being parted out but so far no luck. Yes, I've looked at Juliano's and others but I'd really like to avoid spending $200.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #1980
Denee007

Seat belts are downright pricey! When I bought the Tahoe seat, I also bought the seat belts from the same vehicle, I think was 50 bucks per side, and one isn't working very well! Dan, dear, the ONLY safety feature we're going to have are safety belt/s. With geek butts out ther on their cell phones texting and probably giving no regard to old trucks, 200 doesn't sound so bad not to mention the metal dashes in our trucks, I'd hate to kiss my dash under dire circumstances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Sqrlnts, Where did you source your seat belts? I've been watching Craigslist for trucks/SUV's being parted out but so far no luck. Yes, I've looked at Juliano's and others but I'd really like to avoid spending $200.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #1981
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
... Dan, dear, the ONLY safety feature we're going to have are safety belts...
Ha ha, translation: "Quit being a dumbschit/cheapskate and spend the money to keep your face from bouncing off the metal dash!"

Of course you're right, Denee. I agree completely that $200; given what we spend on everything else on these trucks, is not that much. I'm also aware that if I go to my local wrecking yard there's a great liklihood I will find a few very new vehicles with seat belts in perfect condition for a fraction of the cost.

Ok, ok, stop yelling at me. It's looking like I can get off work early today, I'll head over to the wrecking yard TODAY!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #1982
dubie

i thought about putting seat belts in my truck, but then it wouldn't have the authentic look I'm going for. I checked with government laws in my province and they state that if the vehicle didn't come with it from the factory, it'll pass through the inspection without it. But just in case I do need them, I robbed a color matched set from an 89 Silverado for $50 from the local wrecker

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #1983
sqrlnts

I paid $50 for two 3pt belts from this guy on Ebay.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #1984
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
i thought about putting seat belts in my truck, but then it wouldn't have the authentic look I'm going for. I checked with government laws in my province and they state that if the vehicle didn't come with it from the factory, it'll pass through the inspection without it. But just in case I do need them, I robbed a color matched set from an 89 Silverado for $50 from the local wrecker
Aren't you kind of missing the point? Your face vs. a rigid steering column AND a metal dash with metal knobs = GORE.

Yeah, you're not going to drive it that much, yada yada. Unless it's going to Pebble Beach and be a 100 point show car I very much doubt anyone would have the slightest problem with the presence of seat belts. For the same reason I intend to take my gas tank out of the cab, install a double pot master cylinder and reconnect the emergency brake.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #1985
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan in pasadena View Post
aren't you kind of missing the point? Your face vs. A rigid steering column and a metal dash with metal knobs = gore.

Yeah, you're not going to drive it that much, yada yada. Unless it's going to pebble beach and be a 100 point show car i very much doubt anyone would have the slightest problem with the presence of seat belts. For the same reason i intend to take my gas tank out of the cab, install a double pot master cylinder and reconnect the emergency brake.
x2

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #1986
sqrlnts

To each their own, last I checked dubie pays his own insurance. To be perfectly honest in any kind of hard crash your head will still slam against the side of the metal cab, which in my case now has a massive 1/2" bolt head and large metal seat belt hanger. Yes it will prevent me from impaling myself on the column and hopefully keep me in the cab. **** while we are at it I hope the damn seat stays attached to the cab and I also hope the cab stays attached to the frame.......
Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #1987
Daze57

''kiss my dash''

very good denee !!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #1988
dubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Aren't you kind of missing the point? Your face vs. a rigid steering column AND a metal dash with metal knobs = GORE.

Yeah, you're not going to drive it that much, yada yada. Unless it's going to Pebble Beach and be a 100 point show car I very much doubt anyone would have the slightest problem with the presence of seat belts. For the same reason I intend to take my gas tank out of the cab, install a double pot master cylinder and reconnect the emergency brake.
I also kept the fuel tank inside the cab of my truck old school baby!!!

In all seriousness guys, this truck won't be driven on the highway except for the occasional cruise to neighboring towns to support their car shows and locally, we only have 6000 people that live here. That makes 5999 potential careless drivers but I really won't be driving this truck very often.

I've installed other necessary safety option like power disc brakes to give me better response for stopping power, but as far as seat belts go, I'm going to get this thing on the road first and then see what it's like. I wear a seat belt in my daily driver, no matter where I go, so it may seem foreign to not be wearing one. If that's the case, I have a set on stand by

Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #1989
Dan in Pasadena

Sorry dubie,
Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #1990
dubie

no worries man, I appreciate you thinking about my safety

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #1991
mknittle

When I was driving a 80,000# truck it was like a video game avoiding Idiots on their cell phones etc. If they aren't smart enough the avoid a vehicle that out weighs them by 30times, A pickup truck that only out weighs them by a couple thousand #s is nothing to them.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #1992
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
no worries man, I appreciate you thinking about my safety
Thanks for taking the high road.

Truthfully/ We're ALL a little - why else would be be pouring money into 60 year old rusty trucks? (But I LOVE it!)

Ok, so all you other nutjobs - be safe out there. Like the bumper sticker says, "I drive just as bad as YOU do!"
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #1993
OrrieG

Seatbelts $200. Facial reconstructin surgery just so you can breath and eat $50K, add 20K or so if you want to look nice again. I got third row Yukon seats with outboard 3 point belts and center lap belt built in. Also check the head restraint, had a daughter that had 6 months of misery and over 20K in medical (paid by other persons insurance) when she was rear ended. Stastically most "accidents" happen at under 30 mph and within 5 miles of your house.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #1994
mechanixman

The only reason I will put seat belts in my truck is because of the other drivers.
No one on this forum ever wrecks their vehicle on purpose, it almost always is the other drivers fault. Someone driving while under the influence, someone running a redlight. It seems like we're a cautious bunch.
Besides, even if I did rear end someone (god forbid), my bumper weighs 60lbs, and is mounted straight to the frame. Their bumper is plastic, with a foam crunch piece, then a flimsy metal bumper core that has shear bolts connecting it to the frame. I'll just slow to a stop. Nothing too bad..

But in all seriousness, how does the steering column get pushed up through the dash?
I've seen some nasty pictures of an AD column where the driver's chest SHOULD be, but I don't understand what would make it shoot up. It seems like the frame would need to seriously crunch to do it.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #1995
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
The only reason I will put seat belts in my truck is because of the other drivers.
No one on this forum ever wrecks their vehicle on purpose, it almost always is the other drivers...
That's what everyone thinks. That's why they're called "accidents".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
..,But in all seriousness, how does the steering column get pushed up through the (driver).., It seems like the frame would need to seriously crunch to do it.
That's EXACTLY what happens.

There aren't collapsible steering columns, 3 pt. seat belts, airbags, padded dashboards, yada yada yada for nothing. And if you're gonna spout off about the government and the general litigious nature of people "nowadays" well they didn't get that way for no reason. There've been lawyers a long long time. Someone finally just figured out the collective "we" weren't being very smart (or doing much at all) to prevent injuries and deaths.

I love me the old cars and trucks but I'd never argue that new vehicles aren't safer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #1996
Dan in Pasadena

Back to trucks and not being everyone else's mother! (Yes, I participated)

I actually did a LITTLE bit of work on the truck. Not too exciting though. R&R'd the tail lights, painted the housings, polished the lenses w/Mother's Plastic Polish (stuff works great) and sanded/painted the area around that I half-assed when I rattle canned my truck a few weeks ago. Rust already started to get a toehold on my chrome taillight brackets. 000 steel wool and Gibbs oil made fast work of it though.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #1997
Denee007

This one made me laugh! The part about the seat staying and the cab staying attached in case of a crash! omg, this is a horrible thought! I'd better put a tie down strap around my entire cab!

ps: Dan, I can just about make you out in your bumper! I never get to see anyone on here! btw, looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrlnts View Post
To each their own, last I checked dubie pays his own insurance. To be perfectly honest in any kind of hard crash your head will still slam against the side of the metal cab, which in my case now has a massive 1/2" bolt head and large metal seat belt hanger. Yes it will prevent me from impaling myself on the column and hopefully keep me in the cab. **** while we are at it I hope the damn seat stays attached to the cab and I also hope the cab stays attached to the frame.......
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com

Last edited by Denee007; 04-16-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: comment
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #1998
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, you can see my dirty jeans - I dug out a big stump and planted a climbing rose today - and my belly sorta looks like it's sticking out - which I SUPPOSE it does but not as bad as the rounded bumper seems to show...at least I don't THINK it does
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #1999
G&R's57GMC

This is for you Denee, Look near the bolt head.
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #2000
G&R's57GMC

Entered it in a show & shine.
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
Closed Thread