The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #2051
Bennett68C10

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Haven't had many updates lately but I'm starting to accumulate what I need to start bodywork on this truck. Today my SPI Epoxy Primer came in. My plan is to get all the panels in Epoxy and then start slinging some mud. I still need to get some stuff before I actually start to primer. Mostly I need to get some spray guns. I'm also probably going to pull the cab back off before I start.

What would you guys suggest for spray guns? Please keep in mind I'm looking for something budget minded as I don't have $400-500 to spend on spray guns. I was thinking about trying the Devilbliss Starting line kit. Summit racing has a 2 gun kit for $150.00 and it comes with 1.3, 1.5 & 1.8 tips.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #2052
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post

What would you guys suggest for spray guns?
Have you considered looking for a used SATA or IWATA?
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #2053
Rochlow

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/

Reference points.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #2054
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Have you considered looking for a used SATA or IWATA?
No I haven't. I wouldn't even know what to look for and knowing my crappy luck I would buy something used and it wouldn't work or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
Thanks I have checked TCP Global, just wanted to know if anybody had any experience or could recommend a budget priced gun that sprays decent. I'm only really concerned with a primer gun at this point as it will be a while before I get to basecoat, if I ever do.

66 Suburban

Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #2055
Rochlow

From talking with friends that own body shops and working in a family collision shop, Sata and Iwata are the best guns you can buy. I know most guy will only use them as a dedicated base or clear gun.

I've used my gramps old Binks no. 7 gun for primers and implement paints for years. I know that guys don't like a suction feed because of excessive overspray and spraying at a higher psi. But it's sentimental and still works well for me.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #2056
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
What would you guys suggest for spray guns? Please keep in mind I'm looking for something budget minded as I don't have $400-500 to spend on spray guns. I was thinking about trying the Devilbliss Starting line kit. Summit racing has a 2 gun kit for $150.00 and it comes with 1.3, 1.5 & 1.8 tips.
Here's my take on this, as you know I just went through this whole process. I highly recommend you buying a couple of those throw away purple paint guns from harbor freight and those Devilbiss guns are great. I used a Finishline for all my base and clear LINK. I think it was cheapest on amazon. LINK LINK They have the kit you are looking at too.
Kyle also loaned me one of his Iwata touch up guns to do the lower areas.(that thing was super nice!) For the record, he offered me use of all his guns but I really didn't want to screw them up. I'm kinda hard on equipment...Plus I know he spent a ton of cash on those guns.
The harbor freight guns work great for epoxy and that hod rod black. They can shoot bc/cc in a pinch too. For $12 when they run them on sale it's hard to beat. I use the heck of one that I have. When they crap out throw away and grab another.

The high end guns are worth the money for guys that use them every day because they atomize the material so much better there is minimal waste. Since I don't plan on doing production painting the Devilbiss gun worked out great. Just factor in plenty of waste. Another thing I learned, I waste a lot of material just from inexperience in the booth. This is something that can't learn in one long day.
Nice score on the epoxy BTW. I have read a lot of positive about the spi stuff.

Last edited by mcbassin; 04-30-2014 at 11:36 PM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #2057
TexasLS1

I've followed your build for some time now, I shoulda subscribed a long time ago... Nice work, love all the insight.
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #2058
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Here's my take on this, as you know I just went through this whole process. I highly recommend you buying a couple of those throw away purple paint guns from harbor freight and those Devilbiss guns are great. I used a Finishline for all my base and clear LINK. I think it was cheapest on amazon. LINK They have the kit you are looking at too.
Kyle also loaned me one of his Iwata touch up guns to do the lower areas.(that thing was super nice!) For the record, he offered me use of all his guns but I really didn't want to screw them up. I'm kinda hard on equipment...Plus I know he spent a ton of cash on those guns.
The harbor freight guns work great for epoxy and that hod rod black. They can shoot bc/cc in a pinch too. For $12 when they run them on sale it's hard to beat. I use the heck of one that I have. When they crap out throw away and grab another.

The high end guns are worth the money for guys that use them every day because they atomize the material so much better there is minimal waste. Since I don't plan on doing production painting the Devilbiss gun worked out great. Just factor in plenty of waste. Another thing I learned, I waste a lot of material just from inexperience in the booth. This is something that can't learn in one long day.
Nice score on the epoxy BTW. I have read a lot of positive about the spi stuff.
I was hoping you would respond Mike as I know you just got done with your truck and I wanted to see what you used. It is great news to me that you used those guns with success. I actually already have the harbor freight spray gun but was afraid to use it. I think instead of worrying about buying a spray gun right this second, I'll use my harbor freight for all the primer and then look into the devilbliss finish line gun that you used, the price is really decent. I don't plan on ever painting anything again so I feel it is useless to spend a ton of money on a spray gun for one time use. If my paint job turns out anywhere near yours I will be a very happy man. I certainly don't expect perfection I just want it to look good.

I did a lot of research on SPI and everything I read is very positive. All their stuff is budget friendly for me and I can use there primers under my PPG Basecoat and I'm going to use their Universal Clear as well. The epoxy cost me right around $180.00 with free shipping. It mixes 1:1 so I will get 2 sprayable gallons out of it and it is supposed to be some of the best in the industry.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #2059
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
I've followed your build for some time now, I shoulda subscribed a long time ago... Nice work, love all the insight.
Thanks for checking out my build, things are about to get interesting as I attempt my first ever paint job

66 Suburban

Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #2060
SeTx67

Looking forward to seeing another awesome red truck here soon
Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #2061
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
I was hoping you would respond Mike as I know you just got done with your truck and I wanted to see what you used. It is great news to me that you used those guns with success. I actually already have the harbor freight spray gun but was afraid to use it. I think instead of worrying about buying a spray gun right this second, I'll use my harbor freight for all the primer and then look into the devilbliss finish line gun that you used, the price is really decent. I don't plan on ever painting anything again so I feel it is useless to spend a ton of money on a spray gun for one time use. If my paint job turns out anywhere near yours I will be a very happy man. I certainly don't expect perfection I just want it to look good.

I did a lot of research on SPI and everything I read is very positive. All their stuff is budget friendly for me and I can use there primers under my PPG Basecoat and I'm going to use their Universal Clear as well. The epoxy cost me right around $180.00 with free shipping. It mixes 1:1 so I will get 2 sprayable gallons out of it and it is supposed to be some of the best in the industry.
Hey, don't sweat using the cheap guns. They will put the material on there for you. There are some really high end paint jobs done with HF guns. Check out YouTube. Just remember to get a decent water remover/desiccant filter to get rid of water in your line.

Another secret to a nice paint job is really good quality clear coat. It's probably more important than anything else other than bodywork/prep. No matter what gun you use if you don't use a good clear it won't end up like you want. Or it may look good but have problems down the road. Some clears delaminate or discolor over time. I used PPG 2021 LINK. I'm pretty happy with the finish I have on my panels.
I only wish I would have bought another Qt. or two.

This info is just from my experience. Kyle can probably tell you more about his experiences with different products. Good luck
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #2062
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeTx67 View Post
Looking forward to seeing another awesome red truck here soon
Thanks, let's just hope I don't get swayed too much by the look of the SPI black epoxy as it can be used as a top coat because it has UV inhibitors in it. SPI told me that on a garage kept vehicle the epoxy will last 6-8 years before any signs of fading. If I like it to much it may stay for a while until I can afford to have a professional paint the truck instead of an amateur like me

Quote:
Hey, don't sweat using the cheap guns. They will put the material on there for you. There are some really high end paint jobs done with HF guns. Check out YouTube. Just remember to get a decent water remover/desiccant filter to get rid of water in your line.

Another secret to a nice paint job is really good quality clear coat. It's probably more important than anything else other than bodywork/prep. No matter what gun you use if you don't use a good clear it won't end up like you want. Or it may look good but have problems down the road. Some clears delaminate or discolor over time. I used PPG 2021 LINK. I'm pretty happy with the finish I have on my panels.
I only wish I would have bought another Qt. or two.

This info is just from my experience. Kyle can probably tell you more about his experiences with different products. Good luck
Yeah the water/desiccant filter is on my list of things to get before I start shooting any epoxy. I have been researching them the past couple of days for a good one without breaking the bank. I came across this website that has a lot of good information on it.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...AirFilters.htm

I have looked into the ppg 2021 clear and your truck does look amazing but the SPI universal is supposed to be on par with the PPG in quality but is a little cheaper and from what I read sprays better. Of course I have no real world experience with either so I could be wrong Maybe somebody that has used both can chime in and give a verdict.

66 Suburban

Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #2063
jlsanborn

I've been using that same HF two piece kit for all my primer and at this point I don't see why I couldn't use them for the bc/cc too. Actually, I've yet to use the little guy. The only thing I've found to be sort of cheesey is the vent cap in the cup. It's not too difficult to drip a little onto your work. I make sure and clean the gun out really well each time I use it. I've been using the throw-away inline desiccant filters. I also use a small regulator at the gun so I can run full pressure on the line.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #2064
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
I've been using that same HF two piece kit for all my primer and at this point I don't see why I couldn't use them for the bc/cc too. Actually, I've yet to use the little guy. The only thing I've found to be sort of cheesey is the vent cap in the cup. It's not too difficult to drip a little onto your work. I make sure and clean the gun out really well each time I use it. I've been using the throw-away inline desiccant filters. I also use a small regulator at the gun so I can run full pressure on the line.
Thanks, I'm going to try it out for my primer too. I've had these guns for like 2 years cause I was delusional and thought I would have actually needed them then

66 Suburban

Old 05-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #2065
Bennett68C10

Got a little time in on the truck today. Grinded down about 8-10 holes we welded up on the bottom of the dash from the previous owner. He had all types of cheap gauges and switches bolted to the bottom. Then I decided to get the new bumpers out of the boxes and bolt them up. I'm almost about ready to tear this truck back apart to do the bodywork and paint. Just need to mock up my side trim and fender emblems and I'll be ready.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #2066
Bhelton

Very nice!!!
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #2067
jeh

Looking good Keith, won't be long till we see some red paint!!!!
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #2068
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Looking good!

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #2069
67ctener

I envy your progress. Really looks great all assembled
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #2070
mx289

Looking good Keith.

Now,the fun is about to begin..

You will be posting red pics in no time.

71 K2500
71 K5 Jimmy
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #2071
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #2072
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Very nice!!!
Thanks Ben, it looks really good with the bumpers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Looking good Keith, won't be long till we see some red paint!!!!
Thanks Jason, I'm hoping so. I just hope I don't get overwhelmed with it and can actually paint it myself. I know it's not going to be perfect with not having access to a booth or even a professional painter instead of me, just hoping it's decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Looking good!
Thanks Kyle, wish I had half your ability with paint and body. I certainly wouldn't be sweating it like I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
I envy your progress. Really looks great all assembled
Thanks, it kills me to see it together and have to pull it all back apart. Hopefully the paint and bodywork doesn't kill any momentum I currently have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx289 View Post
Looking good Keith.

Now,the fun is about to begin..

You will be posting red pics in no time.
Thanks Tom, I am dreading this bodywork and paint. The funny thing is besides the cab I really don't have much bodywork to do. Everything else will just need some blocking. My problem is, I just haven't painted before and I keep panicking about it and psyching myself out. I can't wait to try to spray the primer so I can see how I really am at spraying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good!
Thanks, it will be back to looking like a pile of parts soon.

66 Suburban

Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #2073
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looking good Keith! let the bodywork begin....
Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #2074
sduckworth13

Quote:
Looking good Keith! let the bodywork begin....
X2, I'm rooting for you Keith, you can do it.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #2075
mikeleeshields

Keith it is looking pretty sick with the more parts you continue to bolt on. Its gotta feel good to see it coming together.

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote