The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #2151
jeh

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Looks good as always Keith, it's almost REDdy.
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #2152
1stchevy

The trim looks great on the truck. I used to like the smooth look also but the trim adds to these trucks and I love the original look on this body style.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #2153
jlsanborn

Nice job on the trim! Looks fantastic!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #2154
mx289

Looking good Keith.

Trim looks great.

71 K2500
71 K5 Jimmy
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #2155
Hart_Rod

Great progress, looks good Keith.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #2156
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
come on down bro!! Maybe we can go to a game together!
Thanks Rus, I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Probably won't be until the 2015 season as I need to put all my time and money into getting this truck on the road this year. Hopefully the Vols can finally put together a winning season this year and take a big step back to where they use to be.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #2157
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
The trim looks great Keith. About time to start slinging some mud now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Very clean, like the trim!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Looks awesome Keith, hope to start mine soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Looks good as always Keith, it's almost REDdy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stchevy View Post
The trim looks great on the truck. I used to like the smooth look also but the trim adds to these trucks and I love the original look on this body style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Nice job on the trim! Looks fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx289 View Post
Looking good Keith.

Trim looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Great progress, looks good Keith.
Thanks everyone, I'm going to start pulling the body back apart next weekend and start spraying some epoxy on the front clip and the cab. Then the fun begins, I have a couple sections on the cab that I need to use a stud puller on and then do my filler work. Should be a good time

66 Suburban

Old 05-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #2158
Bennett68C10

I also had a long conversation with my wife about the truck today. As some of you may know, this truck has been a father/son project for my father and I. Over the past 1 1/2 years my father really hasn't been able to help me much on the truck due to his health. He has congestive heart failure with arrhythmia. He has had several surgeries and his heart function is still low, and now I just found out that the doctors are looking to go back in for surgery to repair his arrhythmia. He did have a few months at the beginning of this year where he felt good enough to help me out a little but lately he has not been feeling good. On top of this, my mother has been battling breast cancer and several other minor issues. It seems like both of them are going down hill fast and they are too young for this being that they are in their early 60's.

This leads me to the conversation I had with my wife. Basically I have decided to forget about shiney nice paint for now. My main concern is getting the body as straight as I can and spraying everything with the SPI Black Epoxy. Then I will put the truck together and drive it for a few years until I can save enough to have a professional shop paint it. The SPI black epoxy has UV inhibitors added to it and I was told by SPI that it should last 5-7 years since the truck is garage kept before it starts to fade.

Now some people will probably question me and ask why would I want to do this. I have several reasons. I want to enjoy this truck with my parents and be able to park it next to my fathers 40 Chevy Pickup at a cruise or car show while he is still here and able to enjoy it. It would mean the world to him to see this truck on the road. My father is also a big fan of the satin black look and so am I. He tells me every time he sees a picture if it, that the black repop panels look really good. Also, for my own sanity I would like to just drive it. I have been working on it for 4 plus years and have never drive it, I just want to hear that big block rumble. I hope you guys stick with me on the build. One day it will have nice shiney RED paint.

66 Suburban

Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #2159
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
I also had a long conversation with my wife about the truck today. As some of you may know, this truck has been a father/son project for my father and I. Over the past 1 1/2 years my father really hasn't been able to help me much on the truck due to his health. He has congestive heart failure with arrhythmia. He has had several surgeries and his heart function is still low, and now I just found out that the doctors are looking to go back in for surgery to repair his arrhythmia. He did have a few months at the beginning of this year where he felt good enough to help me out a little but lately he has not been feeling good. On top of this, my mother has been battling breast cancer and several other minor issues. It seems like both of them are going down hill fast and they are too young for this being that they are in their early 60's.

This leads me to the conversation I had with my wife. Basically I have decided to forget about shiney nice paint for now. My main concern is getting the body as straight as I can and spraying everything with the SPI Black Epoxy. Then I will put the truck together and drive it for a few years until I can save enough to have a professional shop paint it. The SPI black epoxy has UV inhibitors added to it and I was told by SPI that it should last 5-7 years since the truck is garage kept before it starts to fade.

Now some people will probably question me and ask why would I want to do this. I have several reasons. I want to enjoy this truck with my parents and be able to park it next to my fathers 40 Chevy Pickup at a cruise or car show while he is still here and able to enjoy it. It would mean the world to him to see this truck on the road. My father is also a big fan of the satin black look and so am I. He tells me every time he sees a picture if it, that the black repop panels look really good. Also, for my own sanity I would like to just drive it. I have been working on it for 4 plus years and have never drive it, I just want to hear that big block rumble. I hope you guys stick with me on the build. One day it will have nice shiney RED paint.
I say crank that sucker up and go for a ride!!! It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's your truck and your decision. Enjoy it!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #2160
rwade

Sound of the big block and a goo primmer. Let it rip, tater chip! My dad passed away 2.5 years ago at 65. He and I worked on my 72, he was as proud of it as I am. Good call on your part. Take care

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #2161
Low68

I like your plan and I would do the same thing. You should enjoy your truck. If that means priming it now and painting later to get the most enjoyment out of it, by all means do that. Good luck and I wish your parents the best!
Low68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #2162
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
I say crank that sucker up and go for a ride!!! It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's your truck and your decision. Enjoy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwade View Post
Sound of the big block and a goo primmer. Let it rip, tater chip! My dad passed away 2.5 years ago at 65. He and I worked on my 72, he was as proud of it as I am. Good call on your part. Take care

Wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low68 View Post
I like your plan and I would do the same thing. You should enjoy your truck. If that means priming it now and painting later to get the most enjoyment out of it, by all means do that. Good luck and I wish your parents the best!
Thanks guys I really appreciate it. My wife really put it in perspective yesterday when she asked me what matters more, my ego or enjoying the truck with my father. She was completely right.

66 Suburban

Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #2163
bodydropped68

Quote:

100% enjoy what you have Keith
bodydropped68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #2164
c10Dream'n

sorry to hear about your parents condition. im here for the remainder of the build. best wishes and prayers to you and your family for a COMPLETE recovery. take care.

v/r,
Rick
c10Dream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #2165
knomadd

It sounds like you've got your priorities right. I'd do the same thing if I was in your shoes. Get it to a point where you can drive it and enjoy it with your parents, while they're still here on earth. Paint can wait. Memories can only be made once, but a truck can be painted many times.

Your parents and family will be in my prayers.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #2166
Lattimer

Go for it. Nothing wrong with flat black.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #2167
SamsAutoParts73-87

That sounds like a great idea, I'm also a fan of satin/flat black paint jobs.

I lost my Dad back in 2007 and agree it is more important to spend some quality time with your father while you can, over having a show quality paint job.

-Sam
1981 Chevy K30 350/Th400/NP205
1986 Chevy K30 CUCV 6.2L/TH400/NP208
SamsAutoParts73-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #2168
coggonobrien

who were you ordering your aftermarket sheetmetal from? will be needing a bunch ofr my 68
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #2169
tune_1

I am sorry to hear about your Mom and your Dad. The time spent with you Dad is way more important. You will have no regrets when you put him first and finish the truck later. Can he spend time with you as your putting it together, even if it is just to sit and watch and make suggestions?

Dwight
tune_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #2170
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydropped68 View Post
100% enjoy what you have Keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by c10Dream'n View Post
sorry to hear about your parents condition. im here for the remainder of the build. best wishes and prayers to you and your family for a COMPLETE recovery. take care.

v/r,
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
It sounds like you've got your priorities right. I'd do the same thing if I was in your shoes. Get it to a point where you can drive it and enjoy it with your parents, while they're still here on earth. Paint can wait. Memories can only be made once, but a truck can be painted many times.

Your parents and family will be in my prayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Go for it. Nothing wrong with flat black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsAutoParts73-87 View Post
That sounds like a great idea, I'm also a fan of satin/flat black paint jobs.

I lost my Dad back in 2007 and agree it is more important to spend some quality time with your father while you can, over having a show quality paint job.

-Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune_1 View Post
I am sorry to hear about your Mom and your Dad. The time spent with you Dad is way more important. You will have no regrets when you put him first and finish the truck later. Can he spend time with you as your putting it together, even if it is just to sit and watch and make suggestions?

Dwight
Thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it. I think it is definitely the right decision at this point. My father can help out a little here and there and I'm definitely going to need him to help me with all the finishing touches to put the truck together. I'm going to let him rest while I do the bodywork and priming. He is really good at getting the sheet metal aligned so I'm going to bother him with that when the time comes goal is to have the truck wired up and driving under its own power by the end if the summer. We will see how it works out.

66 Suburban

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #2171
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
who were you ordering your aftermarket sheetmetal from? will be needing a bunch ofr my 68
I got the front fenders and tailgate from Auto Metal Direct and the hood off of craigslist. The bed I bought from GMC Paul's but was supplied from Southern Kentucky Classics.

66 Suburban

Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #2172
Bennett68C10

Some pics of how the SPI epoxy looks as a top coat, I think it looks great and should look awesome against the chrome bumpers, bright trim and billet wheels.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #2173
Bennett68C10

Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #2174
mcbassin
Still Learning

Sounds like a plan Keith. You wouldn't want to get bogged down in self inflicted paint prison like mine has been for nearly 2 years/.....
Ready for you to be posting up a nice burnout
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #2175
c10Dream'n

Quote:
Some pics of how the SPI epoxy looks as a top coat, I think it looks great and should look awesome against the chrome bumpers, bright trim and billet wheels.
you got that right, the SPI epoxy is going to look pretty cool with your setup. Those wheels and trim will make it pop and hold you over until you do decide to paint it red. you just might end up leaving it alone, who knows, best of luck. the finish line is near
c10Dream'n is offline   Reply With Quote