The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
sumran

Gator Squared

Hello all. I have enjoyed reading the forum for the last few weeks. I am new to the site and have just started a new project. It is a 1984 GMC Sierra 2WD, 1500. It has the 292 engine, X47,000 miles and an unknown history.

The truck is generally solid. Rusted through on the driver's side rocker and the driver's side cab corner. One damaged fender and other minor stuff, but much more good than bad. Interior is trashed. It runs well (once it is warm) and shifts well. It has a 350 automatic. I really wanted a manual tranny and it may have one before I'm done. I have owned many trucks through the years, but they have never been anything more than functional work vehicles. I expect to have some fun with this one.

I am currently getting the brakes, suspension and steering in good order so I can drive it safely. The front bearings were improperly installed, so they are getting replaced. Front shocks were bad and one of the upper shock pins was so loose it was about to fall out. I will get that back together and see how much the handling is improved. I may have to do some additional front end work before it gets on the road. Once it is roadworthy, I will sell the much newer Dodge to finance the excessive spending on this truck.

This will eventually be a mildly modified restoration with a stock stance, custom paint and custom interior and above average stereo. It will have work weekends on occasion, but will mostly be for fun. The interior and exterior will have a strong Florida Gator flavor.

I will try to get some pictures posted tonight. Not much to see yet. Just endless bland white, including the camper top. It would be invisible in a snowstorm.

Last edited by sumran; 04-06-2011 at 01:53 PM.
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote