The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #201
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

Re: 67 C-10 project.

thanks for the kind words! i don't have a drill chuck...i may pull the wheel off and see how much it would cost to get a new one made of the correct material.
today, we attempted to get the front crossmember completely bolted in and the steering lined out. i was able to get 1/2 of the bolts in. i think once they are cinched up tight the rest of the holes would line up. the steering was a nightmare, and i failed to get it hooked up. the power steering pump that came from the 74 won't fit my frame quite right, so untill i can look into it more i thought i'd just use the manual steering box that was on it. but i'm having a heck of a time getting the tie rod end hooked up to the steering rod. i think it's a combination of things after fighting with it for two hours...one is the front end is completely unloaded..no weight on it. the angles are not quite right on everything. So i'm wondering if i need to loosen up all of the joints and connections to get it all to line up. same thing on the passenged side...there is a arm/connector that bolts with two bolts onto the frame and i have got the top bolt in but i can't get the arm to go high enough to get the bottom bolt in... So i gave up that for a while and moved to more paint and bondo removal. had my son and friend of his both wanted in on the action! Sweet!
Attached Images

'06 KIA SPORTAGE EX - My Commuter

"All of this crap better make a truck!" - my wife Sue.

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!

Last edited by JasonBird; 02-13-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling correction
JasonBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #202
67chevy1series

haha ya it must be cool when your kids wanna help!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #203
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

heck yeah! i wish i had 10 kids! lol

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #204
67chevy1series

haha if i lived closer you would have somthin just as good as 10 kids.... i would be over there everyday helpin you
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #205
makman1297

I have the same stud gun and the slide hammer is a piece, what I did was bought a pair of vice grips and welded a nut on it on the adjuster knob. I then threaded the nut on the slide hammer stud. Works very well and is really cheap. I think I used a pair of HF vice gripes so it was only about $8 to fix the slide hammer up.
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #206
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

heck, that'd be so cool Rick! you'd be the best help ever!

Makman!! that is a great idea! i think i can do that....will give me an excuse to try the welder....oh boy.

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #207
67chevy1series

i enjoy workin on these trucks it would be fun!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #208
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

Makman your idea was great...i didn't have a nut large enough to thread onto the slide hammer rod, so i welded another bolt onto the end of it and the nut onto the vice grips. worked great...i had to re-weld the bolt and the nut each one time. after i cranked up the voltage on the welder that seemed to have fixed that! yay! got one small dent near the brake light pulled out. still working on the other dent on the side. this metal is tough stuff! and this dent is huge! i'll try the 4mm studs tomorrow and see if i have better luck. oh and a mental note to myself! keep fingers out of the way of the slide hammer....i have a nice blood blister on my pinky now!! OUCH!

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!

Last edited by JasonBird; 02-14-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #209
67chevy1series

Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #210
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

picture for you blood hounds!!

Attached Images

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #211
67chevy1series

you think thats funny and hurts try grinding on metal for about 5 minutes and then touching it right after .... my dad did that today like 4 times ! hilarious!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #212
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

tonight i'd hoped to pound out a couple dents....but i'm too tired. probably tomorrow. i'm taking a vacation day from work on thursday, so i'll have a nice long four day weekend and i plan on working on the truck the whole time. i'd sure like to get the crossmember buttoned up, get the 350 put in there and then get all of my steering linkage hooked up. possibly running? who knows...a guy can dream right! LOL

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #213
67chevy1series

i dream alot!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #214
makman1297

Glad it worked for you; I found that the smaller studs work the best. You need to use a lot of them and slowly work out the dents moving from stud to stud. Don’t try to pull it out with one stud and a couple of hard slams it will just give you a bump in your dent. Good luck.
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #215
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

yeah, thanks for the tips makman, i'll keep at it. i think it's moved out a little. i worked on some dents in the lower section where i can get to them, and it is looking better. last night i finally got all but one of the bolts in for my crossmember. i was short one bolt to start with, so i'll try and round up another one. i thought i was going to be good on my motor mount perches, but they are too tall...i measured the frame they came off of, and it's 1/2" taller than my 67 frame. So more research is needed there.. i need to order an adapter kit from GMC Pauls for my power steering gear box. today i'll try and get the proportioning valve mounted to the rear of the crossmember on the frame and get the brake lines all situated. Does anybody know if i can just replace the master brake cylinder from a 74 in place of my 67 one? So i can have manual disc brakes? Pics to follow...time go get dirty! Whoop Whoop!

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #216
67chevy1series

lucky over here it is rainin bad! well i think you should just use the set up from the 74 so you can have power disc brakes i like how the pedal is lower and more comfortabe....
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #217
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

well, today i started off by getting baby some new shoes! two new BF Goodrich Radial t/a 245 60/r15's. YA! He's mobile again...then i pushed it out into the driveway and used some simple green on the engine bay and started degreasing it as best as i could. i removed my brake master cylinder, and the remains of the brake lines. Then i looked at mounting the prop valve down on the crossmember on the frame. but i didn't get it mounted. I guess i'm still undecided on what to do there. i did find that the brake rod that goes through the firewall is long...or i guess i should say the indent in the master cylinder from the 79 is too shallow? anyone know if i take that circlip out, can i swap thos peices that the brake rod goes into?i'm not sure they are the same size. So, anyways, i didn't get very far on the brakes. So then i tackled the steering. i have my manual steering box mounted to the frame, and after some trial and error and a couple hours, i finally got the steering linkage and everything all hooked up. just temporarily so i can steer it untill i get my kit from GMC Pauls. then i dinked around and cleaned up the shop and tried to better organize things...it was a fun day! Looking forward to tomorrow!

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #218
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBird View Post
well, today i started off by getting baby some new shoes! two new BF Goodrich Radial t/a 245 60/r15's. YA! He's mobile again...then i pushed it out into the driveway and used some simple green on the engine bay and started degreasing it as best as i could. i removed my brake master cylinder, and the remains of the brake lines. Then i looked at mounting the prop valve down on the crossmember on the frame. but i didn't get it mounted. I guess i'm still undecided on what to do there. i did find that the brake rod that goes through the firewall is long...or i guess i should say the indent in the master cylinder from the 79 is too shallow? anyone know if i take that circlip out, can i swap thos peices that the brake rod goes into?i'm not sure they are the same size. So, anyways, i didn't get very far on the brakes. So then i tackled the steering. i have my manual steering box mounted to the frame, and after some trial and error and a couple hours, i finally got the steering linkage and everything all hooked up. just temporarily so i can steer it untill i get my kit from GMC Pauls. then i dinked around and cleaned up the shop and tried to better organize things...it was a fun day! Looking forward to tomorrow!
sounds awsome i can wait for tommorow either today i tried workin in the garage not very fun but did get some things accomplished
Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #219
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

well, today i thought for sure i'd get my motor perches figured out but nope, not yet. i guess that there is not a combination that will just bolt on with out some kind of modifications. so i'll have to do some research and see which route to go. if i use the 74 perches and motor mounts, then it only requires modifying the perches to fit to the top of the frame. if i use the the 67 perches then i think i have to drill a hole in the crossmember for the bottom crew, and then get some differnt motor mounts unless the ones on the L6 block will work, but it seems like the bolt pattern is upside down from the ones on the 350 so i'm not sure...i need to look at my 67 327 block and see what it looks like since that is the motor that is going to eventually be in there...grinded on the body some more and removed more paint from the drivers door. And OH, i got my inner door panel off finally after having to drill one srew out. and i found what i was hoping to find! the plate with the three nutplates on it for my drivers door mirror! it was layin inside there. So i cleaned it up, and tapped the threads clean, and then i went to Bowtie Bits and got a new stem, mirror and gaskets. sweet!
Attached Images

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #220
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

more pics
Attached Images

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #221
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

more pictures
Attached Images

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #222
67chevy1series

looks awsome yes it is always good to find things you need in the bottom of the door since there were speaker holes in mine rats got in there and $hit! it stunk so after a nice water hose treat ment i got the **** out
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #223
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

LOL i bet it did! i forgot to mention i also placed and order at GMC Pauls for the power steering adapter kit, and i placed an order through Eastwood for a brake line forming kit. slowly but surely coming together i think...i still wish i could tear completely into pieces and redo it all ....but i don't dare go there! i'll be doing good to get it back together from this point!

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #224
67chevy1series

haha you can alwys work around the cab it is tuffer but you can still do it so clean up the front frame and bed and then work around the cab... it is looking great!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #225
JasonBird
'67 C-10 LWB Driver

Well, today i sanded more paint off the bed. then i painted my left rear tail light area in flat black after i cleaned it al up and put my lights back in there to get an idea of what it looked like black. without trim around there it almost looks kind of out of place...i forgot to take a picture of it. glared at my motor mounts some more and then started cleaning up around the grill and head lights....then i started looking in there and it's quite the mess. then i started counting bolts and it didn't seem like there were very many and surely i'd be able to get it back together...so i started taking the front off. four hours later i had the front trim rings off, the grill and shield from under neath. now i should be able to get it all cleaned up and painted nice! probably will take the grill to somebody and have the back side of it sandblasted. i'd sure like to get the fenders off and inner wheel wells off. we'll see how it goes...
Attached Images

Proud U.S.M.C. Dad!