The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
swamp rat

Re: Meet Homer (the motor home)

Perfect!~

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
Beetle

Came here for a possible camper build then my heart got tore out. These things are getting harder and harder to find. Why not start with a cab and chassis to start with and leave the campers to people who want to restore them?
68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Came here for a possible camper build then my heart got tore out. These things are getting harder and harder to find. Why not start with a cab and chassis to start with and leave the campers to people who want to restore them?
Well, first off this camper was rotted completely. The roof had sunk in where the ac unit sat. As a camper I would not have spent one penny on it or one minute of time.
Second, this is my truck. I will do any d*mm thing I want to my truck. You are free to do the same.
Maybe you should buy these campers and save em. You could start a business doing one after the other. Most get cut up or parted out. It is just how it is.
If I see another one out there for sale would you like me to notify you? I sure as H*ll would never touch another one. I know another guy who bought one, patched the cab, put a flat bed on it, and had to practically give it away. He also will never touch another one.
The guy I bought mine from said he had been trying to sell it for about a year on/off. Once people looked at it they walked away. He was getting ready to part it out.
By my way of thinking "I saved this trucks life".
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Well, first off this camper was rotted completely. The roof had sunk in where the ac unit sat. As a camper I would not have spent one penny on it or one minute of time.
Second, this is my truck. I will do any d*mm thing I want to my truck. You are free to do the same.
Maybe you should buy these campers and save em. You could start a business doing one after the other. Most get cut up or parted out. It is just how it is.
If I see another one out there for sale would you like me to notify you? I sure as H*ll would never touch another one. I know another guy who bought one, patched the cab, put a flat bed on it, and had to practically give it away. He also will never touch another one.
The guy I bought mine from said he had been trying to sell it for about a year on/off. Once people looked at it they walked away. He was getting ready to part it out.
Well said!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #5
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Well said!
Thanks guys. I have often thought that Homer had a cut up cab back & roof, smashed fender, didn't run, was 5 hour drive away, 157" wheelbase, 457 gears, & drum brakes all around. 2 ton of motor home that needed to be cut & hauled off. The list of things that were good was very short as you can imagine but something was calling out to me to SAVE ME.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Well you did it justice, and might I say at the current state the truck is in, it looks killer. Wasn't tryin to come off as a jerk I just hate seeing them cut up. But hey its a wooden box that is what 45 years old? I guess saving it wouldn't have been smart. Keep on keepin on with your truck she looks damn good

Gonna keep watchin to see what you make of it. What is the tire on the front grille for? I see it alot
68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins

Last edited by Beetle; 04-11-2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Subbed
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
cooperhw

Quote:
Well you did it justice, and might I say at the current state the truck is in, it looks killer. Wasn't tryin to come off as a jerk I just hate seeing them cut up. But hey its a wooden box that is what 45 years old? I guess saving it wouldn't have been smart. Keep on keepin on with your truck she looks damn good

Gonna keep watchin to see what you make of it. What is the tire on the front grille for? I see it alot
Thanks Beetle. Like I said before somebody needed to save it. I really appreciate it when I see others "saving" an old truck 2 live again. That's all I'm doin
Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
cooperhw

Quote:

Beetle,
I apologize on not answering you question on the tire in front of the grill. That is tied on so I can push it with my truck. If it needs to go forward I pull it with a chain tied to the truck, back with a push.
I usually work alone and have given up asking the wife to "help me push".
Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
nlped

^^^ Amen!!!

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #10
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

You did Wayne. ..
That thing was scrap waiting to happen.
There is also a thing called supply and demand.
I had a 66 100% rust free GMC long bed.
I had it for sale for 2 years... pulled the 3/4 ton suspension out from under it and put 5 lug... tried selling it for another 8 months.. swapped the frame to a short bed and sold it in a week.
Supply and demand
There is no real demand for those old campers and anyone that wants one only wants to pay a buck for it...
restoration of your would have cost 10 times what anyone would have paid for it.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
flashed

And what a great save it was ,one of my favorite builds here .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
And what a great save it was ,one of my favorite builds here .
Thanks Flashed. It is also one of my favorite builds here. Probably biased though.

Although I lump it together with other builds I have seen here that are being build with used parts. No P.B. stuff (yet) or other really cool parts.
I do plan on building one of those type builds with my 63 GMC S.B. but not with Homer. Just trying to make "chicken salad out of chicken sh*t" kinda.
Believe it or not my biggest motivator to keep pushing forward has been that the dash, gauges, and interior on Homer is cherry. Since I cut the motorhome off and opened up the interior to the elements I have felt it my responsibility to get it closed back up and protected.
I got a deal with Homer going. I "will keep moving forward and he will not fall on me or bite me in the a**". So far, so good.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
flashed

And you are doing it so well ,I cant wait to see whats next .
Old 04-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #14
cooperhw

Well just a small quick update. Didn't get much done this past weekend as I had to go out of town to our cabin so my wife could help pack up her recently passed fathers house. Dropped her off and went and cut the steel floor out of a square body bed I had stashed in the back of my property. I wanted to put a steel floor in so I didn't have to worry about wood and all the headaches that go with it. My long term plans include a "Rhino Line" of the bed once complete and start hauling with it and forget it.
No pics but I am sure you have all seen a steel bed floor before. I will post pics while I am trimming it to fit in case anybody else wants to follow that mod at some point in the future.
Oh yeah, gonna slow down a little bit next weekend too (dang) cause I got another motorhome to cut up (not an old chevy) it's got a 454/turbo 400, 70,000 miles, on a 79 Chevy 1 ton dually chassis.
Yeah, I know,
Old 04-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #15
cooperhw

Well finally got back to working on Homer.
Last week cut the bed floor out of a square body fleetside long bed.
Started out this morning by hauling the bed floor out front near my welder then took a 8 inch sliver out of the middle

Plan is to get it welded into place tomorrow including the inner fleetside tubs.
Then I need to make a couple new perch mounts for the bed supports to sit on. Hopefully have it all done by tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
flashed

Its looking good .
Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #17
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Definately need to stop in at your place for a visit. .
Nice job Wayne. .

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #18
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
Definately need to stop in at your place for a visit. .
Nice job Wayne. .
Thanks Chris, yes, stop on by. I always enjoy your visits. Not that you got anything on your plate at your shop anyways
Old 04-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
cooperhw

Yesterday the floor got narrowed.
Today it got welded into place and the tubs installed.
On the tubs I cut the outside edge away leaving about an inch and a half. Then once the floor was in and happy I cut the tubs to the correct width minus about 1/4" to 3/8" gap. This gap was there so I didn't have to fight the tubs in. Once the tubs were cut and bolted in underneath I installed the trimmed edge piece using it as a ledge for the leading edge of the tub to rest on. Then just welded it up.
Still have to make some new perches for the bed frame crossmembers to rest/bolt onto. Hopefully get it all bolted up tomorrow.
Anyhow, the new floor is in and STRONG. No more wood floor for me.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #20
tommys72

Nice work! Looks great

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #21
nlped

Nice!!!

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #22
bj383ss

Wow what an awesome build! I have read it from the beginning. I thought you had a cool idea. Then I saw the huge hole in the cab and I was like how is he going to fix that. I could just see a warped roof and back cab. You pulled it off. You made it look easy putting the new cab on. Still not sure I would try that myself but its one of those things you don't know until you try.

Before my Father in law passed away he wanted a built in desk and bookshelves on a 10' wall in his study. He asked if I could build it for him. I told him I had never built anything that big and he was a very picky man when it came to things looking right and done right. I gave it shot and low and behold it came out pretty good and I saved him about $6,000. He only spent $1,000. So you never know until you try.

Look forward to the rest of your build.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #23
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
Wow what an awesome build! I have read it from the beginning. I thought you had a cool idea. Then I saw the huge hole in the cab and I was like how is he going to fix that. I could just see a warped roof and back cab. You pulled it off. You made it look easy putting the new cab on. Still not sure I would try that myself but its one of those things you don't know until you try.

Before my Father in law passed away he wanted a built in desk and bookshelves on a 10' wall in his study. He asked if I could build it for him. I told him I had never built anything that big and he was a very picky man when it came to things looking right and done right. I gave it shot and low and behold it came out pretty good and I saved him about $6,000. He only spent $1,000. So you never know until you try.

Look forward to the rest of your build.
Thanks, I appreciate that. It is always cool to hear somebody else that gets it. I feel like I am in good company even though I might not actually ever meet most of you guys.
Made some new perches for the bed to sit on. Still not bolted up but welded up and back in place. Gotta save some for next weekend.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #24
HOT WRECKS

NICELY DONE !!!!!!!!

Perhaps one day we'll meet
On my bucket list is a NASCAR race at Phoenix

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...65#post6274665
HOT WRECKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #25
Average Joe

Seat looks great. I like that their is no headrests blocking the back window.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote