The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #201
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

Sweet! It looks like a car again!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #202
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
keep em comming
Yep. What he said Sam!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #203
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Nice work Sam! I still continue to be amazed at the No Fear attitude you have with your projects.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #204
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Oh man...Have I been on a hiatus or what! Haha, cripes. I guess summer will do that to a guy.

Thanks for all the support guys! It means a lot. And don't be fooled by my "No Fear" attitude. I'm just too dang stubborn to know when to quit.

I've got some updates for you all, so don't worry. Pics will come as soon as I get the camera loaded to the computer.

First off, I graduated college! Talk about a big relief. Wheew. Now that THATS done, I'll have more time to work on my stuff. :p

Second, the passenger side rocker is almost done. I ended up ordering a cheapy re-pro. But, it was cheap, and it'll work well enough for what it is.

Third, I broke down and bought a small block chevy. I know, I know. After all this talk of wedging an unconventional mill between the fenders, I went and bought a belly button motor. . Oh well. It's a '66 283, with God knows how many miles. Bought it from carb to pan for $150. So, not too bad of a deal.

So far everything plastigauges out to being workable with, especially considering my small budget. Assuming the bores check out and there's nothing wrong with the pistons, plans include just a hone and re-ring, and new bearings and gaskets all the way around. Probably put a bit of a lumpy cam in, since it's just as much as a stock one. I'm thinking around .480 lift..something like a CompCams 260 or 280? I have to look into it a bit more. I already have a four barrel intake for it. Headers will be thrown on, after being chopped up and massaged to be fenderwell.

I'm also considering throwing some 305 heads on it, for a bit bigger valves. Allegedly, 305's had 1.84 intake valves, and a 58 CC chamber. A bit of a step up from the 1.72 intakes in my stock "single hump" heads. Now, don't get me wrong. If I can talk someone out of some 1.94 60/64CC heads, you bet I'll be all over that. But, we'll see.

Plan is to just put it together so it's reliable, healthy, and just drive it. The 283 isn't going to win many races, but it should be just a fun, spirited car to drive.

Someone asked what was so special about a 283, compared to a 350. I told them that a 350 is like a chicken in a t-shirt. It does the job, and is damn good at what it does. A 283 is a bantam rooster with a tuxedo, and an attitude problem. A little class, and a whole lot of soul...heart...bravado..what have you.

So, wheew. I'm back in the games. Pics coming soon (promises, promises...) and probably a thread or two in the drivetrain section to get peoples thoughts on the build up of this little sucker.

Alas, that's where she stands at the moment. I think I'm happy with how things are going...for the time being. Let's see if we stay on this road for now, eh?

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #205
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Keep up the good work Sam.....

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #206
Jvsapp

sam,

nothing wrong with a 283. built right they will go to 9K and make 400hp. compression is the key, as are the heads. 305 heads are a waste of time if you asked me. they might have more compression, but the smaller valves won't cut it. i think the 305 has the 1.74 valves. i had a few sets of 1.94 but the 283 i was gonna stab into my nova was just a straight up stocker. nothing special. just a runner. but now that i scored a 350 that put's down 400hp i'm going the cookie cuter route too. a stock 283 will go to 7K no problem where as a 350 will go up to about 6K. i have some nice valve train components on mine so it should go to 6500. roller rockers, stud griddle, hardened push rods. should be nice. and i just got a 750cfm edelbrock so all i need now is time to do it

but a 283 will solve alot of problems. motor mounts, headers etc are alot easier to get than your olds motor would have been. just think of the 283 as a temp until you find a better mill.

keep up the good work.
Jvsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #207
samwise68
FarmBoy.

The 283 should be a healthy mill...or so I hope. I have a crazyidea for running some steep gears and just having fun with it. Fun like 4.56 gears and a trick shifter. You know, just to cruise on backroads and be an old school high winding gear jammed.

I'd like to see it hit 7-8k, but it'll depend on if the heads and valvettain can flow it, and if the bottom end will hold. ARP bolts may find their way in the rods, but as always it will depend on funds as always.

So alas, I think that 300hp is very doable and rather streetable. And in that trim, the car will still be rather quick. If I can find the right components and put t together and make it live though, I think 350 up if not more is possible. Streetable...not so much.haha, but that's ok. It probably won't come down to that anyway.

Depending on the build and money, it will decide if the motor is a dual plane, mild cam nice engine, or of it's a single plane, solid cam screamer. We shall see...

Otherwise, the car is coming along. Floors wil be bent and beads ran and welded in. Then just ordering the quarters, patch some rust, and try to make it fit together. I don't want to rush and half-ass it, but I just reeeaaallllllyyyyy want to drive t and have some fun. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #208
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok guys, as promised so long ago...PICS!

Chop Chop.

The cheap repro. Because it was, ya know, cheap.

And for the most part, burnt in.

I'm not completely happy with it, but it'll work for the time being. I have to remind myself that it IS a car that'll be driven (read: the snot beat out of it) so a few imperfections are completely acceptable. It's all about fun.

And now, the darling of a motor.

I'm still unsure of how many miles are one it, but it looked like it was never apart. It still had the OE plastic timing gear, not to mention that lovely build up in the lift galley. My guess is, someone spray painted it orange, and tried to pawn it off as a "ran when removed" part. Which, honestly, it probably would have.

It's ridge reamed and ready to go, depending on which way it does go.

If I wanted to, I could order a re-ring kit with rings, bearings, and seals, and slap it back together. Or, I can accept that winter is getting mighty close, there's really no need to rush it, and I'll be happier in the end if I do it right. -Sigh-. Being responsible can be a real beotch. Hahah.

So, that's where she sits. I want to finish up the rocker, get the inner rocker slapped in, and get my final rocker to frame rail braces goobered in. From there, well...it's easy. Or something like that.

Let's hear it.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #209
Desperado454

Interesting build so far! Any updates?
Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #210
Jvsapp

hey sam,

the 283 has a forged crank(should have) and should hold up to what ever you throw at it. from the look of the sludge, i'd say it ran penzoil. i've seen that before. that's why i run only castrol. i've found castrol has the highest detergent and keeps the engine insides clean. i wouldn't be surprised if the engine would run as is. it's pretty funny how a SBC can fire with little work after sitting for years even. my bro's 283 sat in a 61 impala 1/2 buried under dirt for 11 years, sat at my house for 4 years and fired up after a good priming and squirting some oil into the cylinders to make sure everything was lubed good.

keep up the good work. you making me inspired to get back on my ride.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #211
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok. It would seem like I've fallen off the face of the earth.

I promise you, I haven't!!

Not to make empty promises. But. Updates coming soon! Within the next few days.

Things have been getting done. It's almost a car again. And we are shooting to drive it this summer.

Things are getting interesting, guys. Reeeeaaaaalllll interesting.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #212
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Since my camera is having a fit about uploading pics...I'll just give you a quick run down.

Basically..

The stock engine is in, along with the stock three speed. This was to allow me to figure out where the tail shaft mount goes, and to putt-putt around with it to make sure everything is center and square with the frame and under-pinnings before we step up to bigger and better things.

With that, the tailshaft crossmember is in, welded, and ready to rock and roll. I also braced up the trailing arm cross member, and got that beasty welded in good. So, that's all set.

The frame rail to rocker braces are completed and welded in. A bit ugly, but plenty strong.

I welded in braces off the frame rails for the front seat to bolt to. So, that's done. The seat actually is IN the car. Holy Cow...I know!

I braced up the rear seat bottom, and notched the frame and a bit of the cushioning to fit around the frame rails. I hadn't considered any of this when I threw it all together so many years ago..sooo...it won't be the comfiest ride in the world back there. But. I won't be the one back there anyway, haha. It should work tho. All I have to do to finish up there should be trim the stock floor pan with those screwy seat hooks, and get that squared up and welded in.

I have about half of the floors done. They're not pretty, but, they'll work. Because of the way the frame rails are positioned and how high they are, I have to tunnel around the rails for the clutch and gas pedal. But, it should all work out. It won't look stock, but I think it'll work. And won't be terribly uncomfortable to drive...? Let's hope.

I'm working on getting the springs squared away underneath the back, with the upper mount. That'll be done shortly.

My biggest accomplishment was the week I took off to work on the straight throw shifter...and it works. It uses an old Van Brunt grain drill adjuster as the shifter itself. I'll post a pic soon to explain it all...but it basically uses a spring loaded detent to determine which shift arm the shifter is hooked to. R is forward, 1st is back, push it straight forward for 2nd, pull back for 3rd. It clicks in pretty neat...and I'm pretty proud of it.

As I said...pics will make it all make sense. haha. But it works, and I think it looks cool as hell.

And that's been about it.

Honestly...the worst is almost over. I still have to do the quarters and trunk pan..wheel tubs, etc. And some other minor rust patching.

But aside from that..it's all mechanical. And that's easy. That's just nuts and bolts and and following instructions. I like that part, haha.

Probably going to have the 283 bored and the crank turned here pretty quick. It'll be about 200 bucks for all that...which isn't terrible. I'll slap together with stock flat tops, and clean up the powerpack heads. I saw a build and a dyno video on YouTube where they did something similar...and with .480 lift cam, they make 312 hp and 320 tq. Respectable numbers. I'll probably over cam it a bit...and hopefully use thin think head gaskets to up the compression.

With that..and some gears under the rear end..this sardine can should boogy! At least...that's the hope.

Dump the clutch, hear it scream to 6 grand, slap 2nd and the tire chirp...and try wiping the smile from my face.

That's where she stands right now...I'm baaaacccccckkkkkkkkk

Quote:
Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #213
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Here's a bit of a break down for the shifter...until I can get pics uploaded...

Quote:
Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #214
Desperado454

Glad to see this project is still alive! Looking forward to see some pics of the progress
Old 04-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #215
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Alrighty. As promised, and not a year and a half later...

The car has made her maiden voyage around the field and the old frontage road. No breaks, and not much of a clutch behind the stock 194. But, the suspension suspends, the shifter shifts, and the frame..well, frames?

It moves under it's own power, and that is HUGE for me right now.

So, here are some pics.

The most complete the frontend has been since I rolled it in the shop so very long ago..

I'm still in love with those hips...

And my quirky little shifter.

At First and Third, it sits in such a position that it will be pleasant to rest ones hand on. Ya know, before you stab the clutch and slam Second.

Here it is in the Neutral position. Note the detent lined up between the guide plate and the R-1 and 2-3 shift plates.

Here's First. To shift from N to 1st, you squeeze the lever on the shifter handle to pull the detent upward into the notch of the R-1 plate, and then pull back on the shifter to make the detent ride on top of the guide plate while pulling the R-1 plate into position.

Here's Second. To hit 2nd, it's simply pushing the shifter straight forward. The detent rides on top of the guide plate, pulling the R-1 shift plate with it. As soon as it hits the Neutral position on the guide plate, the spring pushes the detent down into the 2-3 shift plate, leaving the R-1 plate in it's neutral positon.

And Third. Thats just pulling straight back, and is pretty self explanatory.

Granted, I have a few kinks to iron out and finish it up. But, it was a great distraction and I really dig it.

It'll be that neat coffee table that accents an already interesting room.

Or, may I quote, "The rug really tied the room together, man!"

And hopefully my explanations all made sense. Questions and comments? haha

And the interior mock up with the seats...

So essentially...here's where she sits.

The floors are almost done. I need to pull out my pans and weld in seat belt braces and such before I put the pans in and weld them. I'm not too terribly worried, as that should all fall into place accordingly.

I'll order my partial quarters in the next few weeks as money allows. With those, I'll have lots to do with patching them, and then dealing with my trunk pans and wheel wells.

After that comes the rest of the rust repair, including the front fenders hood nose, and a bit on the c-pillar and interior.

But after that...we're home free...

Maybe.

Let's see how far and fast I can ride this runaway train until the wheels fall off...or we run out of rail. Haha

Let's hear it fellas!

Quote:
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #216
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Man, I just went through and looked over this build thread.

Wow.

Talk about ups and downs and trying out new ideas! Hahah. Jeepers. I've been allll over the place.

Hopefully this time I got it right, eh?

Quote:
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #217
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Wow, there is something after rust!

Nice job Sam. Glad it is getting together. It would be nice if we could ever finish a project on our original thought of a timeline.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #218
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Thanks Bill!

And after a huge delay and hiatus...another update! With more to come...things are falling into place.

Floors are getting there.

I got me a wild hair (go figure) as to make this beasty work under the II..

6 inches off each side should make it fit under there nicely. Also, if I break an axle, I won't lose my wheel. Definitely a plus. Besides, look at that ring gear. 4.56 gears and a car that weighs under 3,000 lbs? Yes, please.

Let's try to snap these suckers, eh?

And a quick video of the shifter clunking along on the test tranny.

Also. Powerplant is decided and just about done. I'm shoving my current 283 under a bench for another day. I got a heck of a deal on a 30 over 283 with camelhumps and looks like it has roller tipped rockers, and my buddy is bringing it back from Georgia this week. Whose excited? This guy.

I'll slap new head gaskets on it after checking out the crank and everything, since the heads are off, and just button it up the best I can with the stock style 4 bbl intake, a Holley 600 cfm, and headers.

Things are falling into place...again. How often have I said that one? Cripes...

I'm determined guys! I'm gonna make it this time around!

Quote:
Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #219
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok.

Finally motor pics!

I am absolutely tickled by the whole thing. For the price...we'll see what it can do before I start screwing with stuff on the inside too much.

As always, more updates are coming...we're cookin' guys!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #220
Jvsapp

progress is good! you're getting more progress than i'm getting.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #221
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Ok.

Floors are wrapped up.
Quarter panels are tacked on, just waiting to be finish welded.

I have the old 283 bare block mocked up to figure out the oil pan notch and motor mounts.

I picked up a set of fenderwell headers for dang cheap, so she'll really talk now.

Pieces to the puzzles, they just keel falling into Place. And I don't object at all.

Pics coming soon!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #222
Desperado454

Shes getting there Sam! There's few things that look meaner than a set of fenderwell headers snaking away from a smallblock on this year of chevy II. Looking forward to some updates
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #223
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Don't worry guys, I haven't given up or forgotten.

Things are falling into place, and the motor is just about ready to fire.

I'll get pics posted as soon as I get a computer and camera to work on the same day, hah.

She's gettin' there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #224
JHT67

Anymore progress?
Posted via Mobile Device
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #225
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Holy Cats! I've been on a bit of a hiatus from the site, to say the least.

But! I haven't given up on this little rust bucket.

So, here's some pics if anyone is still interested in this shoebox.

Quote:

Last edited by samwise68; 10-01-2014 at 10:47 AM.