The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
sumran

Gator Squared

Hello all. I have enjoyed reading the forum for the last few weeks. I am new to the site and have just started a new project. It is a 1984 GMC Sierra 2WD, 1500. It has the 292 engine, X47,000 miles and an unknown history.

The truck is generally solid. Rusted through on the driver's side rocker and the driver's side cab corner. One damaged fender and other minor stuff, but much more good than bad. Interior is trashed. It runs well (once it is warm) and shifts well. It has a 350 automatic. I really wanted a manual tranny and it may have one before I'm done. I have owned many trucks through the years, but they have never been anything more than functional work vehicles. I expect to have some fun with this one.

I am currently getting the brakes, suspension and steering in good order so I can drive it safely. The front bearings were improperly installed, so they are getting replaced. Front shocks were bad and one of the upper shock pins was so loose it was about to fall out. I will get that back together and see how much the handling is improved. I may have to do some additional front end work before it gets on the road. Once it is roadworthy, I will sell the much newer Dodge to finance the excessive spending on this truck.

This will eventually be a mildly modified restoration with a stock stance, custom paint and custom interior and above average stereo. It will have work weekends on occasion, but will mostly be for fun. The interior and exterior will have a strong Florida Gator flavor.

I will try to get some pictures posted tonight. Not much to see yet. Just endless bland white, including the camper top. It would be invisible in a snowstorm.

Last edited by sumran; 04-06-2011 at 01:53 PM.
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: New member, new project.

welcome aboard! cant wait to see pictures and to see the progress you make on your project

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
sumran

Thanks!

Just had a good bit of luck. I found a set of bucket seats and a center console and matching seat belts that should bolt right in. Even in the right color. Price and location are right. Probably can't make the run tonight, with it being Valentine's day and all, but tomorrow after work, I'll be rolling with pulling tools to snag them.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
sumran

Picked up the seats and console last night along with the dash. Hoped to buy some other items, but no such luck.

I plan to finish up the wheel bearings after work. I will get some pictures posted later tonight.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Big Blue

Welcome from eastern Pa.
Stay focused and have fun. I had to smile on your comment about not being able to see your truck because it is white and you will not be able to see it cause of the SNOW, then I noticed your in FL. Up here in PA we get the Snow.

Again Welcome, John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
I had to smile on your comment about not being able to see your truck because it is white and you will not be able to see it cause of the SNOW, then I noticed your in FL.
It was a hypothectical in my case.

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Pop's C-10

welcome
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum sumran. Get some pics so we can share in your excitement.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
SeanPaintsFlames

I was going to build a big mean 292 for mine as well. After spending all that money on the headers, the aluminum 4 barrrel intake, and the Holley 390, it still didn't make much of an improvement. From what I've heard from the inline guys, you have absolutely GOT to rework the head and install the lump ports. All other mods are almost useless until you get the head to breathe better. I would also toss an RV cam in it while you're at it. That, plus the other stuff, should make it a little more fun. I like that it's different!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPaintsFlames View Post
I was going to build a big mean 292 for mine as well. After spending all that money on the headers, the aluminum 4 barrrel intake, and the Holley 390, it still didn't make much of an improvement. From what I've heard from the inline guys, you have absolutely GOT to rework the head and install the lump ports. All other mods are almost useless until you get the head to breathe better. I would also toss an RV cam in it while you're at it. That, plus the other stuff, should make it a little more fun. I like that it's different!
That is not what I hoped to hear but it is valuable information. What manifold and headers did you use? I have been talking with Larry at Clifford. He is selling the parts, so he is not objective, but I have heard good things about their products. I like the 292 engine and having something off the beaten path would make it more fun.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
sumran

I just lost 42 cubic inches! I started noticing that none of the catalogs showed a 1500 2WD truck with a 292 in 1984. I decided to check and was surprised and disappointed to find that my truck has a 250. Glad I didn't order any parts.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
lilpoindexter

DUDE...more pics...
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Welcome Aboard from 37 miles west of ya !

Looks like a nice project and sounds like ya have a good start on it, Wouldn't mind seeing a Gator square around here at our local car shows !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Welcome Aboard from 37 miles west of ya !

Looks like a nice project and sounds like ya have a good start on it, Wouldn't mind seeing a Gator square around here at our local car shows !
I hope to meet you and see your truck soon. Glad to know you are close by. That crate motor thing sounds attractive after last night's discovery. 502 is too much motor for me, but a small block...

I will probably stay with an enhanced version of what I have.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
sumran

Just talked with a client that has a friend that is selling a well-built 327. Very tempting...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumran View Post
502 is too much motor for me, but a small block...
It's really not too much if you don't have a heavy foot but it's a knowing ya have that little extra room under the pedal !!!
97 GMC Ext. Cab

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 02-25-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #17
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

looks good and solid ...and white(good to see/avoid at night)
We lose trucks all the time up here
and yes the wall paper thought i'd seen it before lol
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 02-26-2011 at 09:13 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
DUDE...more pics...
There will be more pics this weekend.

I haven't done anything except talk and think since the last pictures.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #19
SeanPaintsFlames

I've got a 250 as well. That's what my '80 had when I got it, and I swapped it into the 65 GMC. You can get the non-integral heads, but yes, with the time (and money) you would have spent to build it, you'd have just wished you had put in a 350.

The swap-between-trucks is what I'm doing now as well. Good decision, I'd say.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
sumran

The guy with the 2nd truck called me today and said he had decided to sell the truck outright instead of doing the swap we discussed. Even though I had previously told him I would be glad to buy the truck at $650, he told me someone else might be coming to look at it. He told me he would sell it to me for $550 since he wasn't going through with the swap.

I dashed over with the tow dollie and bought the truck. Now I need to get an engine lift. It is going to be a busy weekend!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #21
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
It is going to be a busy weekend!

Ha ! Looks like you've been busy since the truck hit your yard.....

Now you can change the "engine unknown" in your sig !
97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Now you can change the "engine unknown" in your sig !
Soon, soon. It still has enough mystery to qualify as unknown for now.

The donor truck is at a friend's house. I ran out of room at my house. I need to get it stripped and shipped within a week so he doesn't get in the doghouse.

Feel free to stop by if you are driving through Gainesville this weekend.

Last edited by sumran; 03-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #23
sumran

Just got back from getting the truck in position for the upcoming weekend festivities. When we took it off the dollie last night it wouldn't start. No crank, no click. We tried to jump it but still, nothing. It was very dark and we didn't feel like fooling with it at the time, so my friend threw the battery on a charger and I stopped by on my way home from work. When I got there he asked why I didn't tell him it had a push-button starter. It was news to me.

There aren't many parts of the truck that are usable. Engine and exhaust are great, which is why I bought the truck. I will salvage some others for use or sale, but it will mostly be scrap. If I can find some dead appliances to throw in the back I should recover a good percentage of what I spent.

I was excited about the tilt column, but it would need to be completely rebuilt. It felt like it might fall off in my hands at any moment.

I'm not sure what prompted them to invest the money in the engine and exhaust on this one, but I'm the beneficiary, so I won't complain.

Should be lots of new pictures and adventures this weekend.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
It is going to be a busy weekend!
Quote:
Feel free to stop by if you are driving through Gainesville this weekend.

Who meee ???

Your gonna be havin waaay too much fun for me !

Saturday is the first show of the season over in Ft White, And it's my weekend to work....
97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #25
Pop's C-10

That is tha 1st wallpaperd dash i've ever seen & i hope tha last...lol
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote