The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Rat Rod or Hot Rod?? defintion?? what do you call it

Ok I was just posting on another post and this popped into my head so bear with me

My 70 truck has been built out of all those old parts that are to good to throw away but not good enough for that "Kool" projects that I have done in the past ( mostly pre war Hot rods like a 32 and a 34 fords t buckets ect.)

I got to thinking that it's really the way guys where doing it back in the 40's and 50's they took the better parts out of the junk yards cleaned them up tweeked them and made the best they could out of them...they would make 150/200 HP and think it was the balls...reversed wheels to get them to stick out cut the tread off a tire to make a slick or ditch the fenders and hood to keep them cool and make room???or bolting RR track to the back to help transfer weight... I mean not all this stuff was....well ..safe.. but it did the job was free or cheap.... Has the supply of new parts for our old truck taken this old school building and inavaton away?? why is it when someone wants to find a new way they get flak from so many?? maybe they don't have a checkbook to buy new stuff or just want to try something new..but it seems to me like we all love the looks of an old gasser but the realy question is why did they do it?? answer cheap and easy way to make room for a BIG MOTOR...I love to see front disc swaps where guys are using junk yard parts to make there trucks better or Longhorns 500 caddy trans plant is as old school build as you can get (thanx LH) Love the build and Idea that bigger is better has been around since the upgrade to the 39AB block back in the day (some will know what that means)

Maybe this is a rant but Just woundering why? and whats happening these days I mean when was the last time you heard of someone doing lead work?? I guess I just don't want to let traditions or arts like this die.....

try to kep this post civil this is just a food for thought post and my Ahole Opinion

Jeff

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote