The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
rs74

Need opinions on 6.2 diesel

I am thinking about going to look at a truck and need to know what I could be looking for on the starting issue. It has the 6.2 diesel in it and they think it might be fuel related since they can't get it started. This would be my first diesel so I am not familiar with how they are. Is there something I can check to see if it is getting fuel pressure. Shout I try some starting fluid to see if it will fire on that?

I don't have alot of details about it so it could be just about anything but this is what I have been told. Just trying to go somewhat prepared to try a few different things. They have another complete 6.2 with inj pump if I needed to swap parts or something to see what it is.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Idaho64GMC

Re: Need opinions on 6.2 diesel

it should smoke when cranking if it's got fuel, don't crank it for very long at a time or you'll go through starters like crazy. These engines are all cold blooded from my experience so be sure the glow plugs are working and let them cycle 2 or 3 times or if it's been converted to manual glow plugs do 2 or 3 cycles only hold them on for 5-7 seconds then off for 2-3 seconds then back on again. I would advise against starting fluid it can cause more harm than good. if it doesn't smoke or try to run I would suspect fuel filter problem or injection pump problem. if it starts and misses until it gets warmed up a little bit you probably have a glow plug or two not working, if it constantly misses then you have injector problems.
Idaho64GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Idaho64GMC

ask the owner if they just changed fuel filters or if they ran it out of fuel, if they did it probably needs bled
Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Edahall

Loosen each injector line and crank until fuel starts coming out.

Don't use starting fluid. It's a quick way to blow up these engines. Basically, starting fluid and glow plugs don't mix.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
camok10

If it had a block heater try pluging it in for a few hours. It will warm the engine and make starting a lot easier. Pressurize the fuel tank/tanks and see if fuel leaks any were if it dose it is more than likely sucking air there and that will be an issue. On the smoke, if the pump isn't turned up it may not smoke when cranking I've noticed. Instead of going by that loosen an injector line and see if fuel comes out, don't remove it all the way though. If the glow plugs need to be replaced I would recommend the fast start ones. My friends got them. One 10 sec cycle and it fires right up.

Also while cranking it press the pedal about 1/2 way and lift once it fires makes starting much easier. Also replacing the starter when it goes bad with a gear reduction from a 6.5 is a big help in starting

I have used starting fluid many times on these engines, but make sure the glow plugs are not on and will not come on if you do. Also don't spray it untill the engine is cranking and in just small spurts. Generally though unless you are absolutely sure on what your doing with it on a diesel I'd stay away from it. I looked at a 6.5 truck once some either started, it had a cracked block from throwing the starter because they glow plugged it with the either.

Last edited by camok10; 10-23-2013 at 12:34 AM.
camok10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
crashz

Its easy to get these things air-bound, and difficult to bleed the air out. So far, all suggestions are good.

Check to see if all wires are connected to the injection pump (center of engine, in front of air cleaner). The pink one is the fuel shut-off. When you turn the key to run, it should click. If it doesn't, check for power there.

It only takes a few cranks to drain the batteries, so if you try to get it started, bring a battery charger and charge both batteries up. Visually check the fuel lines for leaks and air leaks as well as the filters. As stated before, crack the injector lines loose (not off, just loose) and crank for only a few seconds at a time with a rest of about 30 seconds or more. If she is air bound, you should start seeing fuel pool up at the injectors by the second or third time cranking. Once you have fuel at the ends of the lines, tighten the lines back on, crank again and you should have at least a stumble or two. If no fuel after five or six tries at cranking (any injector) then the air problem is major (opening somewhere) or the ip is done.

Orignal glow plugs typically burn out. The light will work in the cab, but maybe a few or all plugs are dead. Plugging in the engine block heater will help get you going, as the more heat, the better.

Ether is not for a novice, no matter what the can says.

Last edited by crashz; 10-23-2013 at 12:25 PM.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
rs74

Thanks for all the advice! I leave first thing in the morning to make the three hour trip to look at it. I am planning on bringing it home unless it is in alot worse shape than they say.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Idaho64GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I leave first thing in the morning to make the three hour trip to look at it. I am planning on bringing it home unless it is in alot worse shape than they say.
Good Luck with it! If you can make it run I think you'll fall in love, the 6.2 is by far my favorite diesel
Old 10-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
rs74

Thanks. I ended up buying it. I started a new thread on it with some pics. Didn't get home until late last nite. It might be a few days before I can start messing with it.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
oldmann1967

My experience is with the military version, but the glow plug timer can fail and burn out the glow plugs.
oldmann1967 is offline   Reply With Quote