The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
SFTorange

A/C and Heat

Hello,

I've been reading a lot of posts lately about air conditioning, and I can't seem to find an answer to this question. I've looked into Old Air and Vintage Air, but I am really concerned about the functionality of the heaters in these systems. I live in Montana (where it's currently 5 below), and I worry that the heaters on the aftermarket a/c units are just an afterthought. I've also noticed that the aftermarket setups don't bring in outside air either which can wreak havoc on defrosting.

It seems like a factory system could solve some of my problems, but I worry about the time an expense to install a factory setup.

Thoughts?
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: A/C and Heat

What year of truck do you have? Which heater does it currently have? The deluxe heaters generally work pretty good in the pickups. In the Suburbans however, in the bitter clod, they don't quite cut it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Same response for those that only view one website:

It has been my experience that if you want aftermarket A/C and live in a climate that gets really cold in the winter, you need both a factory heater and a separate A/C system. The heater that came in the Old Air Hurricane system I installed in my 1960 GMC was useless in temperatures below freezing. It not only didn’t clear the windshield it was incapable of generating enough heat to ever make the cab comfortable. I also had a lot of problems with the A/C system, and after fighting with it for two years pulled it all out and threw it away. If I were to do it again I’d use one of the under dash knee freezer style systems and keep the original factory heater.

If you can find a complete original factory A/C-heater system designed for your truck that might be the best option, but may be hard to find and very expensive.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
SFTorange

My truck is a 1966 C20 with the deluxe heater. I've had no complaints over the years with the heater/defrost in cold weather. Living in Montana, we have very hot, dry summers and cold winters so I'm looking for the best of both worlds so I can drive my truck as much as possible.

I'm beginning to lose faith in the aftermarket units from the responses I've gotten. I'll have to look further into the factory a/c setups. Ideally I'd like to upgrade a factory setup with more modern, efficient components. I'm definitely not an expert in a/c so I'm not sure what that would take.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I have the Old Air Products unit, the AC is great, the heat is so/so at best, but is fine for Texas. If I were in Montana or where ever aand it got to say below 20 degrees regularly, the truck would stay in the garage and I would drive the rice burner.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
K-TEN

I like Markb's approach. Why compromise both systems? Use the Factory heater and defroster. They are PROVEN to work over long periods of time with little or no maintenance. Defroster is all set up. And the heat will blast you out an a cold Winter morning-after some warm-up time!
Vintage air makes the Mark IV underdash AC unit, which been around for a long time. It was the best way to get AC in your car for decades, if your were too cheap to get it from the factory or the car just didn't have it. It's $299 bucks and in a pickup, should absolutely freeze you out, because they cooled big 60's sedans easily and they had a lot more volume of air to cool. Simple to install, looks really good in my opinion, and is self contained. Add the compressor, etc and you're ready to rock.
If you have a 6 cylinder still in the truck, they carry compressor brackets for Chevy and GMC early 6's and also for the later 6's. And no I don't work for these people and have no monetary interest in what you purchase.
I like my trucks stock, and I like this setup the best, because it doesn't change anything about the original truck except for adding the compressor, but you'd have to do that for any ac system, stock, aftermarket or refit.
http://www.vintageair.com/catalog10/...ge%2022%29.pdf
K-TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Scottshotrods

The vintage air product will work pefect for your cold weather in Montana 100%
perfect.E-mail us if you have any questions on there product.We are dealers and have great prices for members here as well.
justin@scottshotrods.com
justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
raycow

Add my vote for installing underdash A/C only and keeping the factory heater. It will cost less too.

Ray
Old 11-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
jimmydean

I am having a similar issue because I need to find a heater to replace my stock one when I swap out the hood hinges.

I don't need AC, that's what windows are for. It doesn't get THAT cold around here, but I do use a heater about 5 months out of the year. Anyone try a hokey cig lighter one or anything? I don't care about looks, I would stash it when parked anyway.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
MalibuKasey
Artist

anybody have a pic of this installed in there truck?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
jimmydean

I was looking at this:
http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductIn...ductid=209-H-C

Vent one to the defroster and the other to the feet. Tuck it under the dash and call it good. JC Whitney has it for $182 and it's smaller than the Vintage Air under dash setup.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Haha those guys are local to me. I've never looked at their products though. I didn't realize they made heaters that could be used in autos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
I was looking at this:
http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductIn...ductid=209-H-C

Vent one to the defroster and the other to the feet. Tuck it under the dash and call it good. JC Whitney has it for $182 and it's smaller than the Vintage Air under dash setup.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

I'd be interested in one of those if I knew they worked well. My stock heater motor and motor cage is shot and I haven't found a replacement cage online, only the motor itself. I would even consider switching to a recirc heater but I don't have any parts yards around to collect parts for it.

I need heat!
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
astrochimp

Quote:
I am having a similar issue because I need to find a heater to replace my stock one when I swap out the hood hinges.
Check out the Jeep guys.

I don't remember the heater they use, but IIRC it is available at summit (saw them in some catalog last summer)
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
jocko

This is a great thread!

I'm in the middle - I want to install the chrome under-dash unit (moving to the Cali desert in a few months....) but I ALSO want to get rid of the factory Deluxe Heater that protrudes intot he engine compartment.

I've heard folks talk about using a Fiero unit for our trucks?? Anyone else hear of that.

So, to sum up my rambling, I have 2 questions:

1) If one uses that nice lookin chrome vintage air under dash unit, the comments above would lead one to believe that the only additional mod would be to mount a compressor. What about the evap canister, etc etc etc. and all that extra jazz? I'm not real familiar with the old units - ais the compressor the only external part and the rest is interal to the chrome box? (would love to see some rough install/plumbing instrucitons for that thing).

2) If I go the vintage air old school lookin route, I still need a heater - and I want to get rid of the eyesore (sorry purists) tophat-looking thingamabob that covers up half my engine. Any recommendations? (maybe just install the "non-deluxe" factory heater option if I could find it? I have the deluxe air box in the negine compartment, but only have the single knob controller in the dash. Hmm.

Thanks gents.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
jocko

Regarding question #2 - I just found this in my "archives"....

Markeb01 and Txfirefighter had posted some great info on this question that I couldn't find earlier - here they are for your ref (but I'm still looking for some info on question #1 (or #2 if you have more)):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...economy+heater

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...107362&page=32

Seems some forgetful idiot forgot he's already asked this question....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3584063

Last edited by jocko; 01-17-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Haha those guys are local to me. I've never looked at their products though. I didn't realize they made heaters that could be used in autos.
I just saw someones build thread that used one and it looked awesome. I'll see if I can find the build thread it was in (73-87 white truck with flames). I have a few more interior parts to get, but this is high on my list. Especially with some 25 degree mornings forecast soon.

<edit>
Found it

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...6&postcount=66
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Last edited by jimmydean; 01-17-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
TR65

SFTorange,

I just installed a VintageAir GenIV Magnum in my 65. I don't have the air hooked up yet but I do have the heater going.

At 12 degrees F the other morning driving to work at 70 mph I was toasty and I didn't have the fan all the way up.

My truck is not well sealed either. This unit has great heat.

The secret might be the fan, it is really big and will move some air.

With the air hooked up it is supposed to deliver de-humidified air for the defroster.

TR
Attached Images

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
Heater63

Question for TR:
Not to highjack, but TR, the Gen IV Magnum you used, is it for the 67+ ? I dont see it on their website for 60-66. If so, how did it fit in your 65?

I really like the idea of the Gen IV and electronic controls with modern switches. I want to do away with the stock sliding lever controls/cables.
My '63 cab is stripped bare, I can easily make modifications if needed.

Is that why you chose the Gen IV over the Sure-Fit made for the 60-66?

Thanks,
Tad
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
astrochimp

Quote:
I just saw someones build thread that used one and it looked awesome. I'll see if I can find the build thread it was in (73-87 white truck with flames). I have a few more interior parts to get, but this is high on my list. Especially with some 25 degree mornings forecast soon.

<edit>
Found it

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...6&postcount=66
That is the one the jeep offroad guys recommend, I though Mohave air was the brand
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

jocko: You would have to mount a compressor, condensor, and a drier to complete an underdash unit. I have one in my 'burb installed by the PO.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #22
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
That is the one the jeep offroad guys recommend, I though Mohave air was the brand
I think a number of companies put their name on them, but it's the same box. The price from Summit seems to be the best I've found.

My luck by the time I get around to installing it, the weather will be warmer.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #23
jocko

I think we're leapfrogging multi-threads at this point, but I'm ok with that if you all are...

Protrash, thanks for the answer - sounds like I'd end up mounting everything that I'd need to even if I got an all-inclusive set-up like the VA Gen IV or something. I do like the looks of the old chrome unit though. Would love to see some pics of the setup you have both interior and engine compartment, etc. (reason I was originally asking about what needed to be mounted was that the directions for the underdash unit only showed a single connection from the under-dash unit going to the compressor, so wondered if maybe the evap etc were somehow INSIDE the chrome unit. I'm just not that familiar with them).

Thanks again!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #24
SFTorange

For what it's worth, I made a mock up of one of the Vintage Air Mark V under dash a/c only units, and it looked like it would be very intrusive in the cab. It would have stuck out several inches in front of the dash if mounted in the middle. The transmission hump sticks out a lot further than I originally thought.

As for the solution to my original problem, I made calls to Old Air, Vintage Air, and Classic Auto Air. Vintage Air was the first to be ruled out because they have no provisions whatsoever that utilize the factory deluxe heater controls. It was important to me to keep the dash looking original.

After talking to Old Air and Classic Auto Air, the CAA folks easily won me over with their sales pitch and friendly service. Their units can be disassembled for service (unlike other systems, I'm told), and have full size heater and a/c coils that supposedly work great. Their controls are fully cable operated, which is a matter of personal preference, but I don't have a problem with cables, and their system ties in directly with my original controls. They say that the dehumidified defrost and heat will easily outperform the stock unit. I can't say for certain that they have the best system, but they seem to be the best choice for me given the information I have. The only way to find out is to pull the trigger and keep my fingers crossed. I've never been one to fully trust a sales pitch but sometimes that's the best way to go when you have limited information.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #25
rbar

Here's my Vintage air. I will have a shorter glove box, but I am good with that. I think it doesn't hang down as much as the factory air that I was considering putting in it. I am still putting in the factory center air conditing vents and using the knobs that Vintage Air has that look the same as the factory air knobs, but they are electronic instead of cable. This will give me better adjustability than the cable operated ones. The factory had the three knobs in a vertical row next to the glove box. Vintage air uses four, but I will put the off/on fan speed one on the instrument bezel.
Attached Images

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote