The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Cool AC/ heater switch

Well I have been burning up fan switches of late and finally decided it was time to change how the fan switch worked.

Factory the fan switch turns on the clutch on the first setting if the lever is in the AC position on the panel. It also starts the fan motor for blowing cold air into the cab. I had hooked a wire to a electric fan so that it would turn on also if the clutch was engaged and after several tries and several switches I decided to undo the electric fan wire. The switch just drew to many amps through it even though the electric fan was on a relay.

I have now a new fan switch and have the clutch and the electric fan on a relay under the hood. I have driven the truck now for 3 days running the AC and electric fan with no issue's and the fan switch isn't even warm anymore.
I used a 30 amp 12 volt relay from O-Rielly's auto parts.
Just some more info on my AC.
I took the truck over to a buddies shop after the power tour a few weeks ago and had him smoke test it. He told me to plug up around the condensor and radiator and fan shroud with foam to get a vacum going through the shroud. I went home and did as he instructed and I can't even begin to tell u what a differance it made in the cooling of the Cab temperature. On a 86 degree day like to day I was running 45 degree's inside the truck which while driving isn't hard to do, but where the good part is is while sitting in the drive through @ Wendy's for over 10 minutes the temperature stayed below 50 degree's inside the truck the whole time. Yes it did climb a little but not near what it would do before. It would have been 70 degree's before I did the foam. So if your having trouble with the AC not staying cool when parked try it it did wonder's for mine.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: AC/ heater switch

Have a pic of this foam? Curious.
Posted via Mobile Device

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: AC/ heater switch

Nope not with me. I will try and get some when I wake up today. It's just black foam that I had at the house. Put it over the top of the radaitor down both sides and in the bottom try area to get all the air flowing through the condensor and radiator. I couldn't believe how much better the AC works now when sitting still.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Re: AC/ heater switch

OMG !!!!

My elderly eyes are saying "Please-please-please" post in black font & not red.

Great info, but it took me three tries to be able to get through it all.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: AC/ heater switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
OMG !!!!

My elderly eyes are saying "Please-please-please" post in black font & not red.

Great info, but it took me three tries to be able to get through it all.
Sorry your eye site is so bad. I like the red fonts. I would hate to think what this world would be like if we all did the same things as everyone else does them.

67c10rustbuket,
sorry didn't have time today. I slept to long.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club