The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
NeoJuice

SBC 350 leaking fuel pump line

Motor is SBC 350 with Edelbrock 1721 mechanical fuel pump.

Ever since putting fuel in the tank and doing a couple first start-up’s I've had a slow fuel leak on the input to the fuel pump. There braided supply lines and AN fittings the previous owner put on the truck.

The braided AN fitting goes into an adapter then into the 3/8’NPT inlet of the pump. I wouldn’t say it’s a leak but every time I look there is a drop just waiting to fall off onto the ground but it doesn’t. I dry it off and check it a day or two later and there is a drop dangling there.

The braided line is not leaking going into the adapter. It’s leaking where the adapter goes into the pump threads.

I first tried to tighten up the adapter that goes into the pump. Still a drip forms.

Secondly I know I can’t use white Teflon tape on fuel lines so I went out and got some Permatex Aviation form a gasket. I slowly backed out the fitting on the pump until it had a very very slow drip of gas that I could catch in a bucket. Smeared the permatex on is and let it set for a couple minutes before tightening it back up. At this point I thought ‘yes’ that should do it. Gave it a day or two and still the drip below the inlet.

After reading over the ‘features’ it says slow drying, non-hardening sealant. So is that my problem? Do I need a new adapter? Is there another type of Teflon tape or goop I should purchase?

At this point my options are.

-Get my truck to the exhaust shop so I can idle the truck until the tank is empty. (only put 20L in the tank)

-Once the gas is gone then I can remove the line and put more permatex on it. Let it dry properly then re-install the line to the pump then refill and test.

-Remove the line from the pump and drain the gas into a container and store it until the line is fixed. The problem is because I have the in cab tank and no petcock shut off valve to the tank, gravity to the inlet hose will drain until the tank is empty. And also since its not a rubber hose I just cant jab something like the opposite end of a drill bit to plug the line.

Anyone who reads this I appreciate any feedback or input.
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote