The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
RustyBucket

BB A/C belt problem

My A/C belt wore a hole in the lower radiator hose. Truck is a '72 2wd. Blazer, fact. A/C with a mild 454. I've driven it (HARD) for a year w/no problem but apparently when I started using the A/C the belt whipped a little a rubbed the hose. The belt rubs right on the bulge in the hose at the water pump outlet. I made a little stainless shield to protect the hose but there's NO clearance. ANYBODY have this problem? I have an aluminum water pump and crank pulley.. all the pulleys line up good. Don't see many things to adjust to fix this
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
merlin3

Re: BB A/C belt problem

i am having problems finding brackets to fit my weiand aluminum water pump made in china,i am taking it off,no problem with the old chrome pump.i have a 509in my truck.
merlin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
My A/C belt wore a hole in the lower radiator hose. Truck is a '72 2wd. Blazer, fact. A/C with a mild 454. I've driven it (HARD) for a year w/no problem but apparently when I started using the A/C the belt whipped a little a rubbed the hose. The belt rubs right on the bulge in the hose at the water pump outlet. I made a little stainless shield to protect the hose but there's NO clearance. ANYBODY have this problem? I have an aluminum water pump and crank pulley.. all the pulleys line up good. Don't see many things to adjust to fix this
I have the same issue with my small block and factory AC.
I'm a saver. On my 1971 Monte it looks like GM put a little plastic guard on the lower hose for the same issue. I simply re-purposed that guard on my truck.

Next time you're in a junk yard, look around for a similar piece. Another option would be to take your now bad hose, cut off about a 3 inch piece, and slit it open. That then can be positioned over the lower hose where the belt hits. I've seen that done a million times on vehicles of this vintage.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
Your pictured setup has the belts reversed from the OE-Factory BBC SWP configuration. When these original 68-72 BBC trucks left the factory the alternator belt rode the inner (closest to engine) groove and headed to the opposite of engine, the AC compressor drive belt originally rode in the next groove forward where your alternator belt is now. Mel
Classic Bowties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
RustyBucket

Thanks for the replies..
Mel, GOOD INFO!!. I'll see if I can swap the order of the belts. If it works I'll be FOREVER INDEBTED.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote