The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2002, 01:25 AM   #1
bodad

One Piece Drive Shaft

I have had two of these trucks that someone cut out the carrier bearing and replaced the driveshaft with a one piece. I just purchased the second one and wondered if I should convert it back to the two piece. What are the pros and cons. BTW, the first one I had gave me no problems at all. Thanks.
bodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 01:34 AM   #2
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

personally, id leave it how it is if the shaft is correct length in that its engaged correctly into the tail of tranny. carrier bearings are godo for giving problmes if everything isnt perfeclty aligned and or balanced
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 01:38 AM   #3
bodad

Can you do away with the crossmember that housed the carrier bearing or is it needed for strengthening the frame. Also, did all these trucks have two piece driveshafts or not.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:41 AM   #4
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

no, some were two and some were one, i dont reccommend remving the member, id leave it in, what type of rear susp you have ? if you have coils rear then you have no choice but to keep it anyways
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 01:45 AM   #5
bodad

I do have coil rear. I forget, do you need the crossmember because the trailing arm attaches to it. Is there a different setup with leaf rear that I could possibly switch crossmembers with a truck that had a one piece unit.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:58 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

if you have a 1 pc shaft in the truck, & it works....I agree, Id leave it alone. The biggest problem with a 1 pc in these trucks is that to go the lenght needed , the diameter needs to be much larger to support the lenght so they dont flex.......also the crossmember needs to be trimmed for clearance. On the 2 pc shafts, the light duty carrier(hanger type) was found in most 1/2 ton trucks......this setup is a PITA. The heavy duty setup didnt have the problems with the centerbearing. I have a 2 pc in the longhorn that has the heavy bearing ,& a slip yolk in the middle.....this setup has been thrashed pretty hard with a warmed up 455 Olds, & now a 383 Chev without problems. One thing for sure, if you have a 2 pc shaft built from "scratch" , it will bite your wallet pretty hard........
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

There is a potential problem (not great) with the cross member and a one piece shaft. If the rear end ever travels the full length of the shocks it is possible on the way down for the cross member to hit the driveline and bust it as the truck bottoms out. I have seen this happen once so it is a very small risk.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:01 PM   #8
bodad

Do they make or is there a substitute crossmember that will work in place of the trimmed one that may remedy any problems with clearance?