The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
topdown99

stance, springs, axles... oh my

Hey guys,

First off... you guys are amazing. the ingenuity and love you have for these trucks and this community ... even when answering newb questions (like the two I am about to ask)

as for me, I have been lurking for many years, learning, reading, etc... originally joined when I had my 1972 Chevy Blazer, which now has a new owner in Arizona. I had very few questions with that as I just replaced suspension and steering with lifted parts. I live in the Portland Oregon Metro area (Vancouver/Camas), grew up in Hillsboro/Beaverton.

Now I am pouring love (and money) into my 1957 3100.

The plan is to keep the i-beam, and keep a large portion stock (pwr discs, maybe pwr steering) and start at the ground and work my way up. So, first thing to go were the 20" KMC XD wheels (for sale) which were replaced by some 6-lug steelies and a set of 205/70R16's that I picked up cheap.

Next, and the reason for this post, is suspension so here are the questions:
  • Since the stock front springs are flat, I dont see that going to a "drop spring" is going to lower me any more (CPP or Sids drop axle seems to be the right way), is there any real reason to replace the springs with a new pack?
  • If I take them out, clean them up, paint them, chamfer the top edges where they "glide" on the upper spring, grease between them, will that improve the ride or are they just too darn old and hard...? you guys with real-life experience with new vs old spring packs have suggestions?
  • It also rides like a buckboard... will new springs help soften the ride a bit or do I just need to remove 1-2 springs to loosen her up a bit?
  • The rear stance/height is another question. the frame is stock... and I dont intend on cutting it (if I can avoid it). I am thinking about simply flipping the axle on the spring and doing the same treatment to the rear leaf pack.
  • Is there enough room to flip the axle without problem out back? I plan on doing this first to help determine how far I need to drop the front.
  • Same question for the "ride" on the rear springs... if I clean them, give them some love, grease and a nice chamfered edge to slide on, will it help or do they just need to be replaced?
Thanks for the input guys... I am open to all suggestions, recommendations and thoughts. My 57 runs and drives as-is but she needs a lotta work to be road ready for rod-run in September. (suspension, wheel spacers, disc brakes, exhaust fixes, wiring)
topdown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
Ratpin

Re: stance, springs, axles... oh my

I'm working on a '59 3100. I am also doing a dropped axle and I noticed today that my driver's front spring sits lower than the passenger so it looks like I either need to order some new ones or have these ones rearched.

I installed an axle flip kit today and it lowers the truck alot. No need to remove leaves when flipping. I will be notching the frame too because most likely when you flip the axle you will hit the frame on big bumps.

By the way I am in the Beaverton Hillsboro area. If you want to check it out let me know.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
topdown99

Re: stance, springs, axles... oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpin View Post
I'm working on a '59 3100. I am also doing a dropped axle and I noticed today that my driver's front spring sits lower than the passenger so it looks like I either need to order some new ones or have these ones rearched.

I installed an axle flip kit today and it lowers the truck alot. No need to remove leaves when flipping. I will be notching the frame too because most likely when you flip the axle you will hit the frame on big bumps.

By the way I am in the Beaverton Hillsboro area. If you want to check it out let me know.
Thanks Ratpin!

I think I will go ahead and start with the original leaf packs and see how it goes and if she needs it, buy her replacement packs down the road.

The real question is how do I get the back dropped to where I want it without having to notch the frame. I will rarely if ever carry enough weight in the truck to really compress the springs much... just short home-depot and dump trips, so maybe its less of an issue than I am mentally making it.

Only way to know for sure is to take it apart and start mocking things up.

Next time I am out the Beaverton/Hillsboro way I'll give you a shout, I'd love to see what a different setup looks like

-Ryan
topdown99 is offline   Reply With Quote