The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
chevybuilder18

bluing my drop spindles with valve blue compounds?

OK so as the title states, i have seen some pretty messed up drop spindles on here, and the posted threads with pictures with broke off spindle races, to me this isnt right and theres i believe a lil unclear evidence why these things break. Another thing, my DJM drop spindles have micro metal still on them from whenever they polished the spindle, looks like DJM forgot bearings and Spindle races can fail with metal to metal contact so i do have to clean every crevice before installation so to prevent catostrophic failure, and insure not only my life, but the products life as well. have to have nice races and i have to be able to tell if manufactor made a grade A part for my truck. There is one spindle thread that makes me think of pits and snapping spindles, as we all know i dont think a manufature does great deals of inspection, they dont even sell the piece to you unless its belltech or western chassis garenteeing a good product. To bad some of our other brands that are cheaper and may be of equal statuor cant garentee the same inspected materials. so i came to a conclusion, to try and see if the blueing compound can show pits, flaws, or anything out of the nature that might save us a boat load before installing. Heres my spindles. DJMs 3 inch drop spindles, i have yet to put these on because im going ahead and buying the U bolts and ball joints this up coming monday. PLUS im inspecting them with some bluing compound. if this blueing compound shows me there are pits, I AM and you should too, contacting DJM about there sloppy work. Theres another thread about there flip kits, i have been warned and ready to take action, INSIDIOUS'86 can post his thread in this one as proof. you cant identify with the naked eye a pit or indentation on products with shiny surfaces, so i plan to see if the breaking drop spindles are from minor flaws, and to warn people if they do buy the spindle to inspect it at all cost this could save a life.
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote