The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

What's the scoop on Harbor Freight

Okay guys be gentle with me as I'm a virgin to the Harbor Freight stuff. We just had one open up here so after hearing all the negative comments and laughter about their tools I had to go in and check it out.. I'll admit I spotted some real crap right off the bat but as I looked around I saw what looked like some pretty decent stuff for real good prices!
I was impressed with a roll around tool cart made by U.S. General? It seemed like pretty good quality for about 150 bucks. . Also. A Central Electric welder cabinet for about the. same price with a coupon. I looked at some hex drivers by Pittsburg with a lifetime guarantee that looked as good as SK or Snap on, I know your not going to get that kind of quality for 9.00 for an 8 piece set!
And this place seems to be Big on Special sales and coupons! Lol
I've always steered away from junk and spent the extra money on quality but does some of this stuff hold up okay?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
indymachinist

Re: What's the scoop on Harbor Freight

Yes, a lot of it holds up fine.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

The way it's priced I typically look at them as one time use tools... Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and sometimes I'm dead on. Either way I keep that in mind and I'm rarely disappointed, for weekender stuff it's great. Day in and day out for a living pony up for the real stuff.
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
Kim57

For a home mechanic their stuff seems to hold up just fine.
I have one of their tool cabinets and it's really well made.
I know everyone hates to support China but some of us don't have the cash for the expensive stuff.
I tried to find an American made angle grinder and couldn't. Ended up buying a "Hilti" as it was the only one not made in China.
Kim
Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Dead Parrot

Be wary of anything that puts your life at risk like engine hoists or jacks. Chinese QC is spotty and a tool in this week's shipment that is good may suck in next week's shipment.

Use their 'get something free with any purchase' coupons. Good way to get occasional use items for your hunting trailer.

I have three of their $10 angle grinders, each with a different wheel/brush. Saves time switching wheels. I doubt they would hold up if used daily but for my occasional hobby uses, they are great. A lot of their small tools are actually pretty good.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
ERASER5

I have a pile of HB tools.

-Jack Stands or hard to beat. 6 Ton and 12 Ton.
-Porta-Power-- OK
-Those colored deep well 6 pt sockets? Excellent. I have not tried the 12 point ones.
-Floor jack twin piston fast lift work very well.
-small Air belt sander- so far so good.
-electric powered sanding/cutting tool-it vibrates the tool head to sand into corners- so far so good.
-Allen wrench-SAE and Metric, torx wrench set -good so far.
- Dead blow hammers -- great. I did kill one after 15 years of abuse, but I did abuse it.
-G-70 chains- great.
- Blue tarp- it's a tarp- it shredded in a wind storm after being in the sun for years so I'll call it good.
-Auxillary heater for the truck-- plugs into the lighter- crapola--dangerous melty crapola.
-wrenches --OK but I use them at work, not on my cars- kind of weak and fit only OK.
-Offset wrenchs-- saved my bacon the only time I need them.
-screw drivers and hit and miss.
- I don't buy the electric power tools. I figure that if they include a replacement set of brushes, the KNOW the motor is bad.
- mig welder cart- as good as others for 2X the price.
-Welding helmet- mine has never failed.
-Tool cart-5 drawer- love that thing- get the add on foldable side table.

I have probable missed a few things but if it looks like it is sketchy, it probably is.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
_Ogre

other than the grinders that are cheap enough to toss
stay away from anything with a motor; gas or electric

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
tinydb84

I wouldn't buy a welder or anything expensive from them but my grinders, wrenches, sockets, and just about everything else has held up wonderfully.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
slowcpe

I frequent HF regularly. They're great for cheap specialty tools, their tool boxes are actually quite nice, and other odds and ends. As others have stated, if its electric stay away from it.

Things I have that work well:

Air Hoses
Tool Box
Mag Paper Towel Holder
Wall mount storage trays
Jack stands
Moving blankets
Portable Cart
Moving Dolleys
Various hammers/deadblows
Welding Cart

Things I own that ended up in the landfill

Orbital (used 2x)
Various air tools
Just about anything electric
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:01 AM   #10
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

I went back today and picked up the tool cart, came to 163 with tax. It's actually pretty well built, not quite as heavy as my Matco box but it was 1500. Picked up a few other things just to put to the test, should be interesting to see how this stuff holds up.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
OutlawDrifter

hot rod magazine tested a bunch (like 15-20) of ratchets, and harbor freight's tested in the top 5, might have been top 3 if i remember correctly. i use their stuff often and have had good luck. you just have to be realistic about what you are buying. my grinder is going on 4 years of abuse.

i've been pleased with most but not all of my purchases. for what it's worth, we put one of their predator engines in my sons gokart and it is still taking abuse.

that store in st. joe is nice and organized, the one in topeka is a bit overcrowded.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
ptc

They have GREAT PRICES on the throw away stuff like others have said, I buy alot of grinding sanding and metal working stuff from them cause they sell it in 10 pacs and not one-by-one like HD and Lowes....

Utility type stuff that hold your tools and etc are priced well too, but I have found better products and prices for actual electric tools on ebay. But dont be fooled by ebay sellers - they are middlemen too and their price aint best either.

Find the tool you want then find the actual manufacturer and their dealer network and the price will usually be better than ebay - usually Amazon has a network that sells cheaper too. I just bought a welder and plasma cutter and ran into that exact same thing.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
truckster

My oldest HF tool is a 20 ton press - still works fine after many years. I also have a transmission jack - works great, but the safety chain could be better. I use their socket extensions because they're cheap and work well.

I bought an exhaust tubing expander - first use destroyed it. I buy my tarps their and they're fine.

I bought two HF angle grinders. One lasted about 45 minutes and the other 10 minutes. The only electric tool from HF I really like is their bug zapper - those work great.

My latest HF purchase is a 4-sided diamond hone block. I love it. It puts an edge on knives really fast.

Bottom line is they're kind of hit or miss. Some things work great, and others not so well. The hand tools seem to be fairly solid, but I'd recommend staying away from the electric tools.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
71swb4x4

I bought a tool set that I like a lot. It's great in our work shop as it allows me to inventory everything. If something is missing I know it right away. It's also a lot of tools in a small spot so it's good for a road trip tool set. Here is the thread on it: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=650553
As you can see there is plenty of Harbor Freight hate in the thread.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #15
t korinek
Truckin' Krazy

I have used their 8k winches on my car trailer for years, they take a beating & haven't failed unless I did something stupid like winding the controller cable up in the winch cable , or let someone borrow the trailer & they ran a car over the top of it & rip the control box off
Dakota Digital
Trim parts Carpets
Truck World seat covers
& Many others
Chevy Parts locator in Mesa AZ!
t korinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #16
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
I looked at some hex drivers by Pittsburg with a lifetime guarantee that looked as good as SK or Snap on
"Looked as good" being the key phrase. 95% of HF stuff is total crap. I have seen their hand wrenches bend, allen wrench bits snap in half, and their $12 heat gun shoot flames out the front. I do have a ball joint press I bought from them (or Northern Tool?) 20+ years ago, and it's the exception to the rule. I've used it on three jobs with no problems.

That doesn't mean all Chinese tools are bad. Some are actually made to U.S. and Euro specs, like DeWalt and Bosch power tools. But the quality of Pittsburg and US General tools (and other HF in-house "brands") is hit & miss at best.

You might want to check out Tekton and Sunex tools. Some are Taiwanese, some Chinese, but they are decent quality.

I don't have a lot of money, but I try my best NOT to buy Chinese made anything. I mean here's a communist country that ignores patents, hacks into US government data servers, and on and on.

Common problem with no-name Chinese tools:

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 09-19-2015 at 12:11 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #17
ERASER5

HB is also a great source for Nitril gloves. All sizes and different thicknesses.
I only use Pittsburg ratchets on light duty.
Their furniture dollies are good for a lot of stuff.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #18
dirtyjim

I don't care to much for their wrenches but I have a couple sets in my trail bag because they are cheap enough that if one gets lost in the mud, left on the trail or borrowed and not returned its no big deal.
I do like their composite ratchets and I buy a lot of their white cotton gloves for work.
I've split every brand of socket known to man except hf sockets, i'm sure I will eventually it just hast happened yet.
their lathe insert type tool bits work great, just don't expect to inserts they come with to last. they used to carry 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" but now only 1/4" for mini lathes.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #19
65Gregg

I love my 5 drawer cart, I keep all of my frequently used tools in it so I can roll it where I'm working. I bought the long 1/2 breaker bar and flex head long 1/2 ratchet to work on my boat lift, I figured if I drop them in the lake I wouldn't cry like if I dropped a Snap On. They both worked great on fasteners that stay wet. I also used them on my sons 4 WD Toyota on stuff that hasn't been clean in years, no flexing or bending.

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #20
whitedog76

Some of there stuff seems to have gotten better.

Their air tools and consumables are good for the weekend DIY guy. I've had great luck with their Uni-bits. Any kind of electric or tool that requires calibration, Id be weary of. I bought a gear puller that exploded into 5000 pieces.

Prices are OK. Most stuff you can get at Tractor Supply or the bargain bin at a home improvement store. They do send out lots of flyers and coupons, which help sweeten the deals.

My advice, be selective with what you get and don't set your expectations too high.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #21
dfwright

I have two basic rules for my Harbor Freight purchases:
1) Buy nothing that has a motor or engine.
2) Buy nothing that has the potential to put life or health at risk. (This includes such things as cutoff wheels, wire wheels, ladders, etc.)

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #22
kody1234

I have had real good luck with there lawn mower and tiller engines.
kody1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #23
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kody1234 View Post
I have had real good luck with there lawn mower and tiller engines.
That reminded me... I put a HF Predator 212 engine on my go kart last year. It starts easily and runs great.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
trukman1

I bought my chop saw there after going to Sears and looking at theirs. It might just be me but at the time there was a saw at Sears that, with the exception of the paint colors, looked identical to the one at HF. (Both made in China, of course.) I truly think they were from the same manufacturer but the HF saw was WAY cheaper! (And still going strong.)

Also, I purchased the HF cart with the shelf in the middle and it is THE most used item in my garage and has held up to unreal abuse.

When I worked as a Maintenance Manager for a local company, i had my rep from a big name industrial supply store (won't name names here because they are a good outfit overall) bring in a name brand pneumatic ratchet and impact driver. Then I went to Lowe's and bought their cheaper stuff that looked the same. Had the guys use them hard then tear them apart. The parts were IDENTICAL!!! Even the housings. The only difference was the sticker on the sides. I bought them all the cheaper tools, at their request, and we never had any problems.

My point is, some things are only made in China nowadays. We don't make very much in the USA because companies can, and do, have it made there then stick their name on the same item you can buy at the "better" stores.
Sad state of affairs...

You looked at the items and realized some things were junk. You'll be able to recognize the stuff that's decent as well. Once last piece of advice, the mini die grinder they have on sale for under $10...pass unless you really want to be disappointed. At least it was that way with the two I bought. Good liuck, YMMV.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #25
DarkFlounder

Anytime I need a new tool for a project, I head to Harbor Freight. If I only need it for that project, I'm not out that much money. If I end up using it frequently, when the Harbor Freight tool fails, I know what I'm looking for in a quality replacement.