The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Christiansok

NP203 Part Time Conversion Questions

I'm looking to purchase either the mile marker 502 part time conversion kit with manual hubs or the full shaft replacement kit to convert my np203 to part time four wheel drive. After reading some walkthroughs on the conversion and a video overview I'm feeling confident enough to take on the project myself on my DD. If I do the conversion (shaft or 501/502 kit) with the transfer case in my truck how long can I expect it to take?

After talking to a mechanic my dad has used he said he's had experience converting them saying it would cost a couple hundred bucks because you have to tear the transfer case apart and it takes hours. From what I've read though people say with the transfer case outside the truck you can swap the components in an hour if you know what you're doing. This makes me doubt taking it to someone and wasting my money.

Looking though the walkthrough on colorodok5, http://coloradok5.com/milemarkerpt.shtml and watching this short video to see what I'm up against, , I don't see this being a multiple hour, couple hundred dollar job.

So, if I go to tackle this by myself I have one very newbish question having never worked with drivelines before. How do I disconnect the drive shaft like the first step in the coloradok5 walkthrough shows?

Also, for four wheel drive vehicles it looks like the speedo gear is inside the transfer case, is this correct? My speedometer is currently 20% or so off because I have a 67-72 on a later 73-? frame. Would anyone know what color /teeth speedo gear is needed to make a 67-72 speedo work with an np203? Or should I just use the gear ratios/tire size and comparison of my speedo with a GPS to find the number of teeth I'd need (I'm planning on getting larger 33" tires right after the conversion)?

Any info/tips with the conversion and the speedo gear swap would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit:

I also forgot, which would be recommended for just a daily driver application, the 501 kit or the full shaft replacement?
Also how and how easy is it to replace the factory slugs with manual lockout hubs?

Last edited by Christiansok; 01-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Christiansok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
CrewCab59

Re: NP203 Part Time Conversion Questions

Stop and think what a shop charges for Labor $50.00 Plus per hour , thinking into taking it R&R plus the time to do the conversion.Do you have the tools and jack to lower the T-case down ,do you have help? By not knowing how to take down the drive shaft I would buy a Service Manual and start reading to make sure you want take it on.
1971 Chevy CST Blazer 4x4
1971 Chevy C/10
1970 Cab Chassis C30 157"
1971 Cab Chassis Custom 30 Deluxe 157" 292/4spd ( Napco Replica )
1988 Chevy V30 4x4 wrecker challenger 4812
CrewCab59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
OrrieG

Here are the instructions for the Doug Nash shaft kit I had installed in the 80's . MM now has the rights and the instructions look the same except for the name. You don't have to remove the transfer case or tear it completely a part, only the back two aluminum housings. Since I would be working without a lift, I would budget 4 hours, including cleaning up the parts, etc. A shop that does it all the time might be able to do it in a couple of hours.

From what I have read the shaft is better than the other type which relies on a wafer bearing to maintain clearance and end play. When the bearing goes, things move and back things happen like broken cases. But there are a lot of them out there and guys swear by them. Do your research and come to your own conclusion. Mine was in my DD from 85 to 2000 for around 60,000 mile and saw lots of off road use hunting, etc. with no problems. My biggest hassle was the crappy shifter, a search will turn up my conversion to twin stick.

While it is out you can replace the speedo gear, do a search there has been a discussion on how to figure out which one your want.

The hubs are easy, pull the slugs and follow the instructions with the hubs. Again, do a search, there have recently been a couple of threads with some good tips on hub R&R.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 02-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
customisaak

i've had both milemarker kits, do the shaft if anything, it eliminates a ton of annoying driveline slop the 501 kit has which only gets worse with wear. have a service manual and time and patience if you wanna tackle it yourself getting the transfer case out is the easy part
customisaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
MTCK

Another vote for the shaft. I had the 501 kit in my 78 blazer and blew the case into a million pieces... Hubs are no big deal. Get a good set of snap ring pliars.
Posted via Mobile Device

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote