The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
79bonanza

calling LS swaped guys

ok im swaping a lq9 or a lq4 into my 1979 bonanza and i have a question for you guys.

im wanting to know what is the most basic things you need to start a lq4 or lq9. i know i need a computer reflashed with certain things diabled and VATS turned off, and the harness and fuel pump but what else do i need if anything.

this is just to start the engine, no driving or anything just to simply fire the engine

your help is greatly appreciated
79bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: calling LS swaped guys

you can go with a carb and MSD box firing the coil packs.......with no computer if that bothers you.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
79bonanza

yea im trying to stay away from carbed engines now, ive run them for years and tuned them for years and im just wanting to run the stock fuel injection system on a new motor in my trail truck/ DD.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Shon

VATS removed is #1.
then it boils down to Air/Fuel/spark.
air should be easy.
Fuel is going to need Fuel pump regulated at 58PSI at the rail and then spark is to make sure the coils are firing properly.
Helps to have IAT hooked up, MAF if you have it, and ECT (coolant Temp) sensor hooked up.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
79bonanza

ok cool thanks man that what i was wanting to hear
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

what harness are you running?
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63chevyll View Post
what harness are you running?
WHO?
I am using the stock harness with Current Performance DIY relay/fuse block.

It needs some 'purtying up' but it works
Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
79bonanza

im wanting to run a stock harness but i havent really got that far on my engine build yet, right now im trying to button up a bunch of loose ends on my trucks frame and stuff. ill post some pics when i take some of the frame its a 4x4 resto/ trail built daily driver lol.

any advice on which computers and harnesses and what to buy to swap a 6.0 in easier would be much appericiated
Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Shon

IMO if this is going to be a work truck and not one that is sitting in the parking lot with its hood up all the time then I would get the stock truck fuse/relay underhood 'box' and then hook up the power 12v, ignition signal, starter, and ground, might be 1 or 2 others and fire it up and roll out. that is the easiest.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
79bonanza

ok correct me if im wrong but, does the computer harness run into the underhood fuse box and then run to the engine for all the sensors and stuff and the computer is stored close to the fuse box.

how hard is it to get the wiring harness to fit on a engine with the fuse box under the hood. dont you have to delete some sensors from the harness like o2 sensors and some other things
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bonanza View Post
ok correct me if im wrong but, does the computer harness run into the underhood fuse box and then run to the engine for all the sensors and stuff and the computer is stored close to the fuse box.

how hard is it to get the wiring harness to fit on a engine with the fuse box under the hood. dont you have to delete some sensors from the harness like o2 sensors and some other things
that's right and the tuner can turn off all the un-needed sensors. I still have my whole harness in tact just removed the codes from the PCM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
79bonanza

ok cool, which sensors did you have the tuner turn off or do what the tuner guy does to make it run without them, and does the pcm throw codes when you swap a ls into a old truck if you have it tuned right, and what do you do with the check engine light, like where does it go and how do have one if you dont have the same gauge cluster. is it just a circuit the computer turns on when something doesnt work and it lights up the check engine light
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
Shon

Tuner will turn the codes off in the PCM so they dont show up on a scanner. I have turned off all emissions equipment, rear O2s, MAF (b/c I am speed density), VATS, and I think that is about it. You dont have to turn all that off just to fire up, just need VATS turned off.
I am using all my stock gauges. I use the Cable X ($300 shipped from me) for the stock speedo. that box is run off the VSS coming out of the PCM. I have added a oil pressure gauge-where the factory oil pressure sending unit was, got the adaptor from Autometer and the tempature gauge is in the header hoses.
as for the check engine light, I do not have one but it is in the bundle of wires on the harness, you just wire it up and have a ground i would guess.....but since I have not done it I dont know.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
79bonanza

"I use the Cable X ($300 shipped from me) for the stock speedo. that box is run off the VSS coming out of the PCM."

uhhhh whats this lol, you have to have input from the speed sensor to the computer, i havent heard of this befor, can you explain it to me
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Shon

Well, what trans will you be using? If its an electronic trans (4l60e or 4l80e) the trans is controlled by the PCM, ie its shift points and pressure. And the PCM is fed information from the trans based on sensors and tells it mainly the speed, that is what controls alot of the trans tables, at WOT there is a RPM driver too. but for low speed the PCM controls the shift points. this is no big deal as long as you have the correct harness and 12v to the E pin at the big plug on the trans.

But then you want to know how fast you are going right!? Well, you can run an electronic speedo that will be run off the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) or you can take that signal to the 'box' that turns a motor that turns a mechanical speedo (ie the stock one in my case).

IF you are running a TH350 or TH400 or other non electronic controlled auto then you do not need to worry if you are using a mechanical speedo, you just run the cable(stock) to the speedo as normal.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
79bonanza

ok thank, yea i plan on running a sm465 4 speed, i guess i wont have to worry about that then. Im going to run a throttle cable instead of a electronic throttle is there anything that i should watch out for when i get a computer for my truck. i think i have read something like one computer is meant to run elctronic throttle and ones not. Is this true
Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
Shon

If you going to run a cable style TB then it is EASIER to get a motor that has a cable style on it, otherwise there are several other things that have to be done...it gets more complicated but if you get one with the electronic TB on it then get the gas pedal and TAC module from donor, that is alot easier!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
79bonanza

ok thats great man, first ls swap im tryin to make it the easiest as possible haha, plus i just want the basic stuff you know. where would be a good place to get a computer tuned, if you know anyone or any place that does it
Old 11-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
Shon

I do it....
www.herronperformance.com
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
79bonanza

haha cool what a coincidence lol, so i clicked on the tuning part on your site and it said like 200 or so for a tune, is that for just the tune or the whole computer thats already tuned.

cool website by the way
Old 11-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #21
Shon

U will need to send me a PCM to tune OR I can source one I HOPE and charge you for it.
And for the stuff you have described here, ie STOCK motor I will do it for $165 shipped back to ya.
It would be best thought to get the motor/harness/PCM together that way there is less issues....from what we have found.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
79bonanza

ok cool man, ill give you a call when i get my motor and stuff, if i cant get a pcm and harness with the engine is there any specific pcm or harness i should look for, like out of any truck with a 6.0l would work wouldnt it
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #23
79bonanza

ok i figured you would know this if anybody would, "active torque management" is this a engine thing or a trans thing, ive heard of some how disabling this and then there motors having unbelivable torque everytime they shift gears is this true or i dont know what im talking about.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #24
Shon

Quote:
ok cool man, ill give you a call when i get my motor and stuff, if i cant get a pcm and harness with the engine is there any specific pcm or harness i should look for, like out of any truck with a 6.0l would work wouldnt it
Just make sure if you get a motor with Electric TB get the Gas pedal andTAC module from the same vehicle, it makes it much easier!!
I woudl also look for a 6.0 out of an express van 2500/3500, they have the LQ4s, that is where mine came from.
05+ have the Drive by wire TB or electronic TBs.

Quote:
ok i figured you would know this if anybody would, "active torque management" is this a engine thing or a trans thing, ive heard of some how disabling this and then there motors having unbelivable torque everytime they shift gears is this true or i dont know what im talking about.
Torq Management is both engine and trans side and YES removing this really wakes them up plus timing at WOT is very low.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #25
79bonanza

do the express vans just make good donor motors or do they have alittle extra power behind them, i really dont want the electric TB so i prolly wont buy a motor thats like that unless its got a good price on it. can you remove the torque management when you tune a computer or is it something that is gone when you diconnect the trans control module.