The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
cstm68

MSD box

so im looking at running an MSD ignition box
the one im looking at is the MSD 5900 blaster, i have an HEI distributer
who here is running one? is it worth the money? what one do you have?
thanx

Last edited by cstm68; 03-23-2009 at 10:37 PM.
cstm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
cstm68

Re: MSD box

so nobody is running an msd box
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstm68 View Post
so nobody is running an msd box
I had a 6a on my 383 but took it off when I went to FI. I really don't think they are worth the money unless you are running high RPM.s
Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
AlienYouth

I'm running a mallory VI, has input to retard timing under boost, when i get to that... and the reason i bought it, it automatically retards the timing while starting so i can stop eating starters
AlienYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
tim21391

my friend is running that on his 77 nova and he loves it.. gets a whole lot more spark
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
SCOTI

I've had the MSD 'kit' for GM HEI's on my daily driven sbc's. It started service in a 355 /78 Camino back in '94. It sat on a shelf for a year or two & is now been on the stock 350 in my 74swb since 02. It's the 6AL w/Blaster-II coil & has worked flawlessly. I use a/c delco caps/rotors w/RT-44's or 45's plugs.

Anything in particular?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
cstm68

im just running a gm basic HEI so what box do i need to run with that

is hookup easy?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
spinning wheels

What kind of motor is this going into? Is your truck a daily driver or ?

Check MSD web site, but from what I have seen. This would be something I would consider if I was running a highly modified engine. High compression pistons, big cam and a big CFM carb.

Your HEI with a hotter coil should be enough for a stock or mild engine. You could also add an MSD module under the dist. cap.

It is not a bad idea to install an MSD box. However, it is one more thing that can and some have failed before.
Just something to think about.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning wheels View Post
....Check MSD web site, but from what I have seen. This would be something I would consider if I was running a highly modified engine. High compression pistons, big cam and a big CFM carb. Your HEI with a hotter coil should be enough for a stock or mild engine. You could also add an MSD module under the dist. cap.
I've always heard the logic behind the MSD ignition (multiple spark discharges) are ideal @ lower RPM regardless of engine ability. So it should help a stock engine become more efficient in theory just like a typical single pulse type ignition w/a hotter coil can ignite a better flame in non-optimal conditions (poor quench). Once the ignition reaches a certain RPM, it's too fast for the mulitple spark but it still has the hotter coil vs. stock so there's still benefit.

Correct me if I'm wrong . . ....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I'm running a 6A spark box, MSD Blaster coil to an MSD billet distributor (same size cap as a GM window distributor), through MSD wires to Accel "shorty" spark plugs; header clearance problem.

All the literature is out in the garage & it would take me at least an hour to dig it out, so I'm running off old memories. If I'm wrong, somebody please chime & correct me.

SCOTI is right, the box puts out Multiple Spark Discharge up to around 3000 RPM.
What's really nice about the spark box it only takes like 3-4 volts to make it fire, so if you have enough voltage to get the engine to crank, it should fire.

My only complaint is, I've burned out a couple of "rotor buttons" in the distributor cap.

That's the limit of my experience. I hope I helped you a bit.

LJ

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I've always heard the logic behind the MSD ignition (multiple spark discharges) are ideal @ lower RPM regardless of engine ability. So it should help a stock engine become more efficient in theory just like a typical single pulse type ignition w/a hotter coil can ignite a better flame in non-optimal conditions (poor quench). Once the ignition reaches a certain RPM, it's too fast for the mulitple spark but it still has the hotter coil vs. stock so there's still benefit.

I haven't really come across a stock engine with an MSD box, so it would be hard to say if it is a benefit or not. My experience with the MSD is on modified engines. Were big carbs, cams and high compression is the norm.

I have seen some Delco ignition boxes, that are dead ringers for an MSD box. The box's color is a dark grey or black.
Wether or not they are MSD boxes, I didn't check them out that close to see if it was made by MSD or Delphi, or?

As for which is better to run, an HEI with a hot coil vs. an HEI with an MSD box. The only way to tell would be on a dyno test. I'm sure MSD, would love to sell everyone with a stock engine an MSD box, and their ads would reflect that. But is it a real HP gain, or a way to clean up a poorly tuned engine that is spewing out unburned hydrocarbons out the tail pipe?

In my way of thinking. I would install a $60 hot coil and get a new set of MSD, Accel, Taylor, Moroso, or ? spark plug wires, for the same amount I would spend on an MSD box. On a stock engine, I would probably get the same results from either set up.

Thats just IMO, and I could be wrong to boot
Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I forgot to mention in my original reply:
When I had boats, I ran Accel distributors and they worked great.

When I bought my Chevy, it had an Accel distributor in it & that was the biggest POS that ever came down the pike; so when I decided to replace the distributor I decided to replace everything, and that was a couple of years before I joined this board; so I didn't have the insight available to me at that time.
Having said that, other than the rotor buttons in the cap (& I think I've gotten that worked out), I'm happier than a hog in wallow with the MSD system.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

any CD ignition is a benefit for any engine. especially a multiple discharge unit such as MSD makes. they start out with 6 sparks for about a 20* (at crankshaft) duration. then taper off to a single event at 3500 RPM. this directly translates to a much more drivable situation. I would definatley use it on a stock engine. I suggest a 6A but for the extra money and the ability to control the speeds I would get the 6AL.

the main reason for box failures is bad grounds. you can never have too many grounds and make them clean.

as for the "hot coil" issue, you don't need a hot coil 90% of the time. the ignition system is like you standing next to a water tower. you are thirsty and drink some water. can you drink the whole 80,000 gallons? no. you only need and can use 1 quart or less. granted under high compression (14:1) or high boost (6psi or more) you will need higher spark voltage to create the ionic field around the spark plug gap. I could go on about the science involved but this gives you the idea.
same thing with wires. big fat insulated high dollar wires are a waste of money and engineering for most engines. ever take a look at a 90's Toyota? the wires are about 1/4" thick and have zero problems (unless acted upon mechanically).

my recommendation; MSD (or equilivalant) 6AL, a GOOD stock module (AC Delco) this way you can switch back in case of box failure, a stock coil, regular wires, and plugs with a .030 gap. any more gap and you will burn out the coil and over work the box/module.

BTW, did you know MSD boxes up the coil primary voltage from a nominal 12.6 to about 240?
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #14
norwegianc10

I just bought a MSD 6AL box, not yet installed. I have read some troubles about the box on a 5pin HEI module. Is the 5th pin for a knock sensor? Ireally dont see the benefit of this on my 67. No computer controll what so ever on my truck. If I remove the 5pin, can I use the distributor as a magnetic pickup, just like a 4pin version?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

I won't be correcting you, you lost me at...."I've always heard........"

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
orbot

I got a question, do you have to change the engines timing when using a spark box???
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #17
Pont406

I am running a 6a box with a gutted HEI. Main benefit to me is no more HEI module. No need for a rev limiter, my valve springs do that. I have 6al in my other car.
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote