The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
1rudestude

Working together

Just to throw it out there, What ever happened to the days when like minded got together on each others project and blew them out so all could go enjoy hang out and build a comrodery? just asking.
1rudestude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Working together

Interesting question. Once I had many truck buddies here locally and we had a lot of fun. However, life is always evolving. One of my best friends moved out of CA for greener pastures. Another ended up with three sons and he became a "football dad". The youngest member of our truck group is now in college becoming a lawyer. Two other guys work so hard to maintain their families that they have little time for anything else. A couple others sold their trucks and got "econoboxes". That leaves me...still wrenchin' solo. We have a member here on the forum with a tag line that says something about doing it yourself because if you wait for someone to help you, or do it for you, it will never get done. When I read that for the first time I knew what he meant. But all is not lost...now, I got all you guys and although we don't share a physical location, we still have a comradere and a genuine interest in helping each other. We appreciate each others work and even offer encouragement too, and for that I am grateful. Since you got me being all sentimental and stuff I also want to give a big thanks to the people who make this site run and to the c10 King for the great shindig he oranizes for us every year. I still have comradeship it's just different now.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 03-26-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
NEWFISHER

It even gets tougher the older everyone becomes. I waited until I was 38 to get married and watched all of my wrenching buddies take slightly different paths in life away from getting together at ones garage to help knock out a project, hand tools to the guy on the creeper or just offer some support. I was in and out of car clubs and although part of one now, have yet to get anyone together to help another member, even though I have asked. I guess times are different for some and I'm glad the flame still burns inside others like you and I. With the internet and the discovery of great forums like this one and others, maybe most feel like if they read and respond for an hour their buddies don't have to come over and their wives don't have to clean up after a bunch of dudes? Lol
Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
KJSR

Some guys in our area have been working on getting the same thing going. Have had a couple of garage nights at my place so far.
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
1963c-10

Nearest local truck buddy is 45min away from here. There are some other 60-66's in town, but none are forum members. I always try and inform people of the forum when I run into them.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
flashed

It still happens ,just check out the UNDERHAULING THREAD going on here and you will see it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Robert Haas

I seem to work on my buddies stuff more then my own.

I have two frame offs sitting in my back shop right now. One has been there for 2 years now.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Robert Haas

oops, neither of those suckers are mine.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
It still happens ,just check out the UNDERHAULING THREAD going on here and you will see it .
Was looking at this thread yesterday....a great thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I've been trying to get together with some of the forum members around my parts..I know some who live about 30-60 minutes away... but like said...Life does get in the way, and thanks to those who keep awesome forums like these running..even though we aren't together in the same location..we can still at least see pictures and videos and answer questions about trucks. But when get together's do happen its really neat to see someone's truck in person.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
flashed

We are just truck brothers and sisters of different mothers .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
1rudestude

It seems that something has really been lost due to the electronic age and maybe complacency. And in the mean time the younger generation is becoming less involved as they do not work with the older guys kicking them in the *** as what was done for me. And as an effect these things take years for one guy to build, or mega bucks to enlist a shop. As old Henry Ford said no one person can be good at every aspect of building a car and that is why you put the best person in there respected place and that is what is great about guys working together every one get in were they fit in and then the thing becomes less of a chore and more cost effective not to mention the kids are not only learning a good work ethic and valuable skills they are handling the task that us old guys struggle to due as we are pointing at the work they are doing and telling them they are doing it wrong. Do not get me wrong I continue to work on my own stuff but I am going to choke the next kid that tells me that the work I am paying him to do is to hard and that his parents hire others to do it.
1rudestude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
66chevy43

I understand what you are talking about and agree with what the above members have already quoted. Having your friends over in the garage that share the same passion for the build, is something that gets harder to do as we get older and add more responsibility to our lives. Yet on the flip side with this forum, you still have good people with the same passion all over the world that share the love of the build and even though they are not physically in your garage handing you a wrench. They are here via internet to help and I have to say, its the next best thing. Heck how many members do we have on here? I'm sure that is a lot of knowledge and experience to pull from.

Here is a current tread doing that right now. Inside a garage helping via internet from another state.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...errerid=131236
66chevy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
McCoyAZ

Price of beer got too high, that's what happened.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
63burban
Chevy addict

Non of my friends are as detail oriented as I am, they drive me nuts!
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
timmytimm3

My brother, father and me have a "truck night" usually on Wednesdays to work on his 57 pickup. We've been doing it for over 8 years now. Eat, wrench, clean up, beers.

timmytimm3 on IG

"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you?" -Dad
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Non of my friends are as detail oriented as I am, they drive me nuts!
I used to know guys who's rides were so scary with regard to the hacked up suspension and wasted brakes it was shamefull. But they were more concerned about sound systems and bling. I can't work with people who prioritize like that.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
als1961

is there anyone on the central coast?
als1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by als1961 View Post
is there anyone on the central coast?
Salinas count?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rudestude View Post
It seems that something has really been lost due to the electronic age and maybe complacency. And in the mean time the younger generation is becoming less involved as they do not work with the older guys kicking them in the *** as what was done for me. And as an effect these things take years for one guy to build, or mega bucks to enlist a shop. As old Henry Ford said no one person can be good at every aspect of building a car and that is why you put the best person in there respected place and that is what is great about guys working together every one get in were they fit in and then the thing becomes less of a chore and more cost effective not to mention the kids are not only learning a good work ethic and valuable skills they are handling the task that us old guys struggle to due as we are pointing at the work they are doing and telling them they are doing it wrong. Do not get me wrong I continue to work on my own stuff but I am going to choke the next kid that tells me that the work I am paying him to do is to hard and that his parents hire others to do it.
Yeah I understand...Alot of kids are stuck on video games and such...I had asked a younger friend of mine..he's 14...about coming an working on my truck. He showed a little interest, but not much at all...he's more the type..I wanna drive it an that's about it. But..his Dad isn't a mechanic either. My Dad was a truck driver and currently is a mechanic....we restored the 77 chevy together., That's mainly what got me started on these...I'm young and completely enjoy working on my truck..no matter how hard it becomes. I know I'll get advice from here and from Dad if I need it. I've been brought up working...and its nothing to brag about...I only see it as an early preparation for the future.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #21
rideblue00

i dont know of anyone that has a truck locally. A couple of guys that have trucks like ours that i seen at local shows, dont even visit this site. i try to chat them up, but everyone seems like they want to do their own thing. So im on my own here in Toledo, as far as i know. Didnt we have a regional forum on here? i tried looking it up the other day and couldnt find it. Besides in a way we are getting together, online anyway
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
rideblue00

nevermind i found the regional forums..
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #23
Softpatch

Sound like someone needs a hug....
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #24
siggyfreud

Well if anyone is in the Portland area I'd be happy to lend a hand sometime .
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #25
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Well if anyone is in the Portland area I'd be happy to lend a hand sometime .
I'm only 5 hours away!