The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
98layinframe

Simple questions about Z'ing and body drops (channeling)

I helping a buddy of mine with his freshly started 73 blazer project as well as I myself recently picked up a nice clean mostly rust free 82 reg cab long bed truck that i cant wait to start cutting into. I've been doing a fair amount of reading on this site over the past few weeks to try and find some helpful pointers from other that have already been down this road a few times.

I cant get the blazer up on my frame table until my current S10 projects body drop is fully welded in place... so Im looking for some ruff measurements for the drop member. First question is how far above laying out on a blazer does the drop member place the front suspension? The current plan is to lay some 2x4" box tubing inside the frame rails and then cut the bottom of the rail off to get the rockers on or as close to the ground as possible. From my ruff measurements with the drop member in place it looks like the rockers will still be about 1/2" off the ground when the control arms touch? this sound right?

The second truck... my 82. My heading the same route with the 2x4 box tubing and trimming the bottom of the frame off, but instead plan to just Z the stock front clip enough to lay the rockers. May slice an inch out of the cross member depending on how much it hurts the steering geometry during the suspension travel. No drop spindles, and all stock arms... im on a much tighter build budget then my buddy as this is now the 3rd "toy" truck i own now.

Just to fill you guys in a little bit on what im talking about. My bagged 98 s10 laid on 20's.

Plans for it include stretching the frame to convert it into a 4 door quad cab truck, and stock floor body dropping it.

Have the cab.

The first gen s10, body dropped, narrowed backhalf, small block 350 swap.

very old pic, for some reason i cant find a newer one... yes the motor is sitting that far above the hood line.

I will try and get up some pics of the 2 projects im sure you guys are more interested in... the 73 and 82. But any answers to my questions would be great appreciated! thanks.
98layinframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
broey
Square

Re: Simple questions about Z'ing and body drops (channeling)

hey dude, I have a stock floor body dropped short bed also, your research is pretty on point. to lay rocker we boxed the frame they way you plan on doing it and cut about an inch off the bottom. I didn't z my frame though, instead we narrowed and raised the crossmember inside the frame and then built upper control arm mounts that attached to the frame. you can check out my build thread HERE for some info if it helps. the only thing I can tell you is with a zeed frame you have to raise the trans tunnel alot. the way I did it only one very small area needed to be raised. whatever route you go, start a build thread so we can all follow.. and good luck dude!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
98layinframe

Nice build! Iexpected raising the tranny tunnel was in order... but my question is how did you not have raise yours hardly at all? Did you not lift the motor and tranny up? On my truck the tranny is sitting a good bit below the frame... and if i cut the bottom 1 1/2" off the boxed area, the tranny would would be obviously much lower..?

The way im thinking, z'ing the frame will effectively raise the motor and tranny by keeping it the same height from the ground. while the tranny is also staying same physical height, the rest of the truck is now 3" lower laying the chopped frame and body.

Z the frame, box under cab, tranny tunnel, and maybe a drive shaft tunnel and the truck should lay rocker with the pinch cut off.

I'll probably end up doing this stuff and then slap the springs back in and drive it crushed static bodydropped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
broey
Square

my pan sat higher than the frame stock. after cutting the frame and boxing it, It was 1/2 lower than the frame, but we moved the motor forward 2 inches and raised it one inch and that resolved everything. since I didnt z my frame we had plenty of clearance in the tranny tunnel still. thats how I got away with it.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
98layinframe

What tranny you running? Guessing 350 or 700r4? Im thinking the 4 speed in mine that hangs so low is the problem.. doh
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
dv8customs

With the dropmember if you want to lay rocker you have to cut the top off the frame not the bottom. If you cut the bottom off the arms will hit before it lays out.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
98layinframe

I assume your referring to the blazer build? Due to the shape of the blazer frame im not sure yet but thinking it would be easier to jus Z the frame 1" up front and then take off the bottom of the rails that way i dont have to mess with any body mount heights and dont have to modify the floor at all other then tranny and driveshaft tunnels?

Kinda wish i hadnt already welded in the steering rack notches yet, cause then i wouldnt need a full z. Ohh well.
Posted via Mobile Device