The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Damon23

Getting bummed

I've had this 82 for about a month now and have not had any time to drive it, wash it or really do anything. It has been in the shop for a little over a week and then it came home. Today I took it back to weld up the exhaust leak (which wont seal up I guess due to the old pipe so there goes another couple hundred). I really got under it as he was fixing the hole and found rust in the passenger floor, bottom corner of passenger door and in the passenger fender well. To top that the 700r seems to like 1st gear for a while before it shifts. The rust is not that bad but the transmission is worrying me and the 305 just feels lathargic so I'm thinking a motor swap is in the works. So many little jobs to do on it but I just have to keep on. I think Tuesday is supposed to be nice so I think I feel a cough coming on and may have to rest up that day. OK, my rant is over.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Getting bummed

lol the world of old trucks but those sick days fooling with them are sometimes good life therapy if ya enjoy wrenching

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
lilpoindexter

Even here in Sunny Southern California my truck has rust. It was raining on and off today, as I put the T5 back into my truck. I hadn't driven it for a long time, because I was afraid the trans was wasted...but it turns out that crusty motor and trans mounts caused the bellhousing to engine bolts to work loose, ha ha. I mention the rain, because my butt kept coming off the creeper, into pools of water all over the place, and now I have a sore throat. My truck has a flowmaster muffler, and after I drove it, my ears hurt...and somehow I managed to lose the plate that goes on the front of the bellhousing...but damn it...I really like driving my truck...I feel "cool".
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
'79squared

Damon, yes these times suck with the weather putting a stop to progress. I had the same problem when I brought my truck home. I was sooo bummed and pissed at the weather I couldnt see straight. But man when the weather is nice, WORK ON! And like lilpoindexter said "I feel cool". I went to a meet and greet this weekend at a local pizza pallor with a bunch of other c10 guys. At one point I walked out side and as I did looking at my truck ( not a beauty queen by no means) I thought, dam that looks good sittin in this parking lot. Hang in there, waiting will pay off for sure.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Don't feel too bad... My most recent purchase, the 76 you saw in the thread, has been fighting me since the day I brought it home. Like said above, it is part of the old truck world. I had even found a little extra rust under the floor like you did, nothing too bad, but it'd get addressed someday.

Of course, I developed a valve rattle in just very recently. Pretty loud when cold, almost inaudible when warm - just worn out... I'm on track to just buy the GMPP 290hp 350 and stick it in within the next couple weeks rather than mess with it. Just a hair over $1900 all said and done with warranty, no tax or shipping either.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Eyegore
What Hump?

I wish I had the cartoon that was in one of my truck magazines years ago. It showed this young guy working on his truck, covered in grease with parts laying on the ground surronded by tools, his dad walks up and says "one day you'll brag that this was the best truck you've ever owned." Pretty much sums up what all of us have come to know, a lot of $$$ blood sweat and frustration but we love it.
Hang in there!!!
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote