The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Centering Steering Box

Current dilemma: A have a later model 3.5 turn power steering box. problem is, 2 turns are to the left and only 1.5 to the right. This is not fun in parking lots where I have to turn right , but great when turning left.

I have thought about various ways to remedy this, but have run into problems with each idea.

1) Remove pitman arm and re-clock.
-NoGo as the arm is splined only to be moved 1/4 turn. Too much.

2) I tried evening it out via tie rods. i.e. lengthen one side, shorten other.
-Now one side is much longer than the other, not leaving much room for alignment adjustment. Ideally they should be close to equal and centered. It also causes the steering wheel to not be centered and the turn signal cancel not to function properly.

I could remedy the steering wheel problems i think by loosening the column from the intermediate shaft and realigning, but that still leaves me with horribly uneven tie rod ends.

Anyone have any other ideas? Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks in advance -Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
bluec10

Re: Centering Steering Box

You have three issues: the tie rods, the pitman-drag link relationship, and the steering shaft to steering box relationship. I's start with a wheel alignment to make sure that your adjustments are correct up front. Your pitman arm seems to be a pretty blunt adjustment, so unless you've messed with it I'd leave it alone for now. Once the wheels are aligned you can disconnect the steering column from the steering box and "count the turns" to find the center point, then reconnect. I taped a coat hanger on the dash and marked my left/right stops, then counted turns until the wheel was centered. The shaft into the steering box has finer threads so this adjustment should work.

I don't quite remember the set-up, but if your wheel isn't completely centered after counting the turns you might take it off and reinstall it so it's even.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

First thing,
like blue said, get the pitman arm and idler square with the frame, then reset everything else, probably have to remove the wheel,thats what Im going through now...
Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
Karl Hoh
A little east of nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluec10
You have three issues: the tie rods, the pitman-drag link relationship, and the steering shaft to steering box relationship. I's start with a wheel alignment to make sure that your adjustments are correct up front. Your pitman arm seems to be a pretty blunt adjustment, so unless you've messed with it I'd leave it alone for now. Once the wheels are aligned you can disconnect the steering column from the steering box and "count the turns" to find the center point, then reconnect. I taped a coat hanger on the dash and marked my left/right stops, then counted turns until the wheel was centered. The shaft into the steering box has finer threads so this adjustment should work.

I don't quite remember the set-up, but if your wheel isn't completely centered after counting the turns you might take it off and reinstall it so it's even.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
80 K10 350 4spd
76 C60 366 5spd school bus

"THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN BREAK THAT SOMEONE CAN'T BE PAID TO REPAIR"
Karl Hoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

So, I'm assuming there is enough adjustment in the tie rod ends for the alignment shop to center the box. That will solve that problem, hopefully.

Now, if that works I can just unbolt the column from the shaft and line them up. Is the column/shaft splined and keyed or just splined?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #6
71swb4x4

the column shaft should be just splined
Old 04-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #7
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4
the column shaft should be just splined
Let's hope...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

This is how I do it. Disconnect the pitman arm from the center link. Turn the wheel all the way to one side. Count the turns exactly to the other stop. Return the steering wheel EXACTLY half; irregardless of the steering wheel position.

This is where the steering box is centered. Take a rope or something and hold the wheel there. Now you adjust the tie rods until the front wheels are straight ahead. It helps to have a bottle jack to raise each front tire. Put the jack as close the the ball joint as possible.

You can get the toe-in pretty close by eyeballing down the inside of the tire. Line up the forward and rear inner tire sideway (like a site on a gun) and look at the rear tire tread. It will be close when about an 1/8 inch of the tread is visible. Adjust both sides until the look the same. It will be REAL close.

Now if the steering wheel isn't centered, you can remove the shaft from the box and center the steering wheel. It would be easier to move the steering wheel and do it there.
'95 GMC K1500 Extended cab

Last edited by 68speedalert; 04-06-2006 at 10:00 AM.
68speedalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Excellent info speedalert. That was the basic plan, then take it in to the shop to fine tune the alignment. I agree with all but centering the steering wheel only, that is where I am now and ended up with turn signal cancel problems.

Thanks -Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)