The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Orange '71 GMC

I need A/C Bracket help! Going crazy!

<---That's me.

I have chased down and looked out what seems to be every option. Yet there has to be more, and I trust this board to help me out.

Deal is this:
Had a factory A/C setup out of a '69 Deluxe. Passenger side mount. Original brackets and everything.

I decided I wanted to take the OE stuff off and opted for an aftermarket system (similar to a Vintage Air, but a local company). It mounts under the dash, but will utilize my center vent, defrost, and side vents. Has an electric control.

Main problem is this - mounting the Sanden compressor!

I have considered the all in one front block mount systems (which the place I bought the kit from offers), along with Billet Specialties, and the VA Front Runner. Then there are the March Pulley systems. And, I actually purchased an Alan Grove bracket setup. I noticed the Zoops as well.

Here's my detailed list on likes/dislikes of each setup:
Front Mount system (V-Belt) Billet Specialties and Local Shop. Price is higher than I would like, but not the biggest factor. Biggest factor being no ability to change anything...or possibility for supercharging (there is a chance in the future). The BS kit is $1400, local kit is $1300, so no big difference. Both have advantages over brackets - but you are tied to that one piece.

Billet Specialties Front Mount system (Serpentine)
If I was gonna be tied to it, I'd just assume have a serpentine belt. This kit is probably my favorite of them all. I just don't like the cost. This truck is going to start being driven (something I haven't done with it in the past 5 years), and $2200 worth of pretties in brackets isn't worth it to me really.

March systems:
Ultra front mount - love this kit, but there again - $2200.
Ultra Mid-Mount. Leaning toward this - even though it is really more than I need! But it is less than $1000!

Alan Grove brackets: http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S.B.Short_Pump.htm
I bought the high mount without knowing what it was at a car show. (PN#100R). A dealer sold it to me telling me it was what I needed. When I found out it was the high, I didn't even mount it (anybody want a brand new bracket lol).

113R - I could use this - but it just isn't really a nice bracket to me. Looks very prone to loosening, and has lots of flat surface area. Doesn't look rigid, etc. Just doesn't do it for me for some reason...

106R - A.C - I actually like this one - but feel uneasy about it. Why don't manufacturers mount the compressor low? Heat? What? Just doesn't seem like a good spot - but I like this pretty well, and would consider it - if anyone can give input one way or another.

The Zoops brackets - I don't like the big bulky polished billet look all that much to be honest. They are very heavy looking - overpowering. Look more fitting for an engine decked out in that - not a "clean" look like I am wanting.

So there is a long, opinionated post about the A/C brackets, can you help me, please?

What are my other options? I have no holes in my heads to mount off of (stock heads). The stock brackets will take modification, and I don't want to alter them that much.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Re: I need A/C Bracket help! Going crazy!

What would happen if you just trashed the OEM stuff and went with something like Vintage Air or some similar company? Seems to me they would supply the whole package. Not an expert opinion, just a theory.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
alf1096

If you are looking to spent 1200 on a pulley system why not buy a VA system with all the brackets?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

go to the vintage air website and order a regular pass side mount there only ;ike $100 bucks and should work with the sanden compressor(thats the one they use).
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Ricks1971

call vintage air!
Bracket:
Pass side 15311-VCB $99.00 plus shipping and handling
(LWP)

Compressor:
SD508 04808-VUA $199.00 plus shipping and handling

This is what I did and I only had to modify the fittings that was pretty easy
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Orange '71 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelawork'n
What would happen if you just trashed the OEM stuff and went with something like Vintage Air or some similar company? Seems to me they would supply the whole package. Not an expert opinion, just a theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alf1096
If you are looking to spent 1200 on a pulley system why not buy a VA system with all the brackets?
Maybe I wasn't real clear...
I already purchased a system similar to a VA system (but IMHO better in some aspects). So I don't need to whole kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue85
go to the vintage air website and order a regular pass side mount there only ;ike $100 bucks and should work with the sanden compressor(thats the one they use).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks1971
call vintage air!
Bracket:
Pass side 15311-VCB $99.00 plus shipping and handling
(LWP)

Compressor:
SD508 04808-VUA $199.00 plus shipping and handling

This is what I did and I only had to modify the fittings that was pretty easy
THAT is something I didn't know. I will check out what they have. Hopefully it is a nice setup. I already have the compressor as well. I noticed that the one specified was for a LWP, hopefully they have a SWP setup as well, but if not, I can always go with a new pulley system to work with the LWP, and still come out cheaper than $2k.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

Thats the one I got with my kit.
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
kwmech

For under a grand you can convert over to a serpentine system and use the GM rotary compressor. Never mind, I just saw that you don't have the mounting holes in your cyl heads.

Last edited by kwmech; 04-05-2006 at 09:15 PM.
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
uncle

If you don't have bolt holes in the head, you can still use car and earlier truck a/c brackets that were made for that type setup. (65-68)
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
chevymaz
What are you looking at?

do you still have the brackets for the original setup? I am still debating on whether to go original or to upgrade.

1971 GMC LWB
2005 Honda Element
2007 Honda Fit

chevymaz is offline   Reply With Quote