The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
67sss

CA truck title question

hopefully this is ok in this section. I have a california title for a 72 truck and in the upper right hand corner of the title is says
***salvaged***

what does that mean in California?

Thanks!
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: CA truck title question

Basically, it means that the truck was an insurance company "total", but it was repaired and re-registered.

That is not necessarily a bad thing, unless you want to sell it and have a "picky" buyer.

I have a Plymouth that has a "salvage" title and I've been happier than hell with it. (Well, until it spit out the timing chain, but that has nothing to do with the "salvage" title)

I hope that helped you.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 10-31-2008 at 01:16 AM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

It means that your rig was totalled by an insurance company, thus the state took it off the books.
Then at some point someone fixed it up, then got it approved to be reregistered.
It's a very common practice. I know guys that buy wrecked cars/trucks/MC's from wrecking yards, then fix them up and sell them for a profit.
You have to be very carefull buying a salvage, since you don't know the extent of the write off. I have seen very simple damage write off a vehicle, since the cost would be prohibitive for the insurance company to fix. But turns into a gold mine for a wrecker, since they put it together with their own stock.
I have also seen some nasty wrecks get "fixed", only to sold as an unsafe vehicle.
So... If you are interested in a salvage titled vehicle, make sure you get it inspected by a shop that does not know the seller. This could cost you a bit of cash, so it's only a deal if it's being sold very cheap.
Also, most insurance companies will not insure a salvaged vehicle! The ones that will, will only do so for a really high premium.
Finally, lets say you get a great deal then get tired of the ride and want to sell it. You will find out quick that most people will walk away from a salvage titled ride, and you will be either forced to keep it or sell it at a loss.
It's all about buyer beware... Personally, I would walk away. Since I have been down this road once, and I would never do it again. BIG PIA!!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
67sss

thanks for the help. Here's the truck that I"m talking about, and yes I'm trying to sell it.
Attached Images

67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
sleepertruck72

It is possible to have been salvaged for a theft. Theft recoveries for some reason have been labeled as salvaged here in the wonderful state of California
Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
tommypic

buy it , if you can get it right . I have bought a many wrecks and fixed them . They are about 50% less on what you are buying . I am looking at me a new wrecked truck 06-07 . I found one it got gone was an 07 super cab F150 yea I know but it didnt have but 16.000 miles on it , i could have got it for 8500 . it would have cost me about 2000 to fix

2008 Silverado Z71 LTZ Wrecked New Ride SOLD
71-72 Custom A/C Parts Truck < selling parts
67 Chevy ShortStep SOLD
67 GMC SWB Step <-- For Sell
67 Chevy SWB Step <-- working on
2000 Road King <-- SOLD
97 F150 my ride for now
2006 Escape wifes ride

HELP SUPPORT THE BOARD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Great How To Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669

Vendor Sites http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=2
tommypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

If you are selling it, make sure you disclose the fact is has a salvage title otherwise you can be charged with fraud if the new owner did not know.

Also be careful when buying salvage titled vehicles as some insurance companies will only give you liability insurance and not full coverage. I checked into this when I was looking at a salvaged vehicle. Wasn't worth the hassles at the time.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
SactoJim

I'd be more cautious on later model vehicles that are salvage because they are more complex and expensive to repair correctly. A total is based on the book value of the vehicle vs. the cost to fix the damage. I think it's higher now but used to be that if the damages exceeded 50% of value of the damaged vehicle, it was deemed a total loss (salvage).

If the previous owner had full coverage or was hit by someone else with insurance, it wouldn't take much damage at all to total one of these old trucks if the value was based on typical book values and not a collectors car type value. Crinkle a front bumper, grill, hood, and fender and it's a total.

I wouldn't sweat it if you plan on keeping it for yourself. Your market might be a bit smaller if you ever sell, because many people kinda freak out over a salvage title and the value will be less just because it says "salvage" on the title even though it may be in just as good or better shape than another "clean" title truck.

Though this doesn't necessarily apply to your situation, later model, more expensive vehicles that have salvage titles can be more difficult to insure and most banks won't finance salvage vehicles.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote