The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
ZmOz
Account Suspended

Would I get my money back if I sold this?

A couple weeks ago I bought my '79 C20 LWB for $550. The body is straight and rust free, but that's about it's only good feature. I bought it just as a beater for hauling parts, but now I want to restore it.

Here's what I want to do:
Paint it myself ~ $400
Wheels and tires ~ $1000
Interior replacements ~ $800
5.3L/overdrive tranny swap ~ $2000

Roughly $4750 total. Probably closer to $4500. Do you think I could get that much for it if I sold it? It would basically look and run like a new truck...but I know 2wd, 3/4 ton, and LWB aren't "the rage" right now. I have no plans to sell it after doing all that work, but I change my mind drastically overnight...
ZmOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if it looks good you will prolly get pretty close to that if its done right

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

What you have to look at is this, if you are in the market to build and sell, that's one thing. Speaking from lots of experience if you are going to build, build to keep! Cause when you put the time energy and parts into a restoration for you it will mean alot more when it is completed..So if you ever sell it, people are more interested in the fact that you built it for you and chances are you took the time and patience and noted the details of your build..so I would say remember this....

Build to use

Build to keep

....just my $.02

Good luck with the resto!!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:14 AM   #4
ZmOz
Account Suspended

AspecialZ, I don't have any plans to sell it right now, but like I said I change my mind alot... I might get it finished and say "f**k this I want a car"...
Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Double the price on that 5.3 idea...

There is are a lot of hidden expenses in there. My TPI swap as 1000 bucks, and that is a bolt on jobber!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #6
ZmOz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Double the price on that 5.3 idea...
Engine/tranny/accessories/harness/computer: $1000-$1500
Motor mounts from advance adapters: $75
Fuel pump: $150
Misc: $500?
Sell old engine/tranny: -$500-800
Total: $925 - $1725

Swapin' a chevy V8 into a big old chevy truck aint rocket surgery...

TPI parts are kind of expensive...5.3L drivetrains are a dime a dozen around here...

Last edited by ZmOz; 05-02-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:29 AM   #7
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmOz
keep dreaming...

Quote:
Swapin' a chevy V8 into a big old chevy truck aint rocket surgery...

TPI parts are kind of expensive...5.3L drivetrains are a dime a dozen around here...
again, its not as cheap as you think. ask N2TRUX, he has had (or had done) the LS engine swap into his Blazer. it aint cheap.

as for building with the possibility of selling it, dont ever expect to get what you put into it back out of it. you've got better chances of winning the lottery.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:45 AM   #8
ZmOz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
again, its not as cheap as you think. ask N2TRUX, he has had (or had done) the LS engine swap into his Blazer. it aint cheap.
If you or anyone else can explain to me what could POSSIBLY cost thousands more than I have listed above, please enlighten me. My daily driver is a Jeep Cherokee, and there are plenty of people who put 350's in them for around $1500. That's a V8 into a vehicle with a very small engine compartment that never came stock with a V8, AND a Chevy motor in a Jeep.

There are plenty of 454s that need rebuilding that sell for $500+...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
as for building with the possibility of selling it, dont ever expect to get what you put into it back out of it. you've got better chances of winning the lottery.
There are PLENTY of people that put money into vehicles and sell them for a HELL of alot more than they paid. Are you saying a 3/4 ton pickup in VERY good condition with a low mileage fuel injected engine, a new paint job, new interior, and nice wheels and tires isn't worth ~$4500? I don't think that's unreasonable at all. Nada says it's worth $5000-8000, and they give pretty low numbers for most things...

Last edited by ZmOz; 05-02-2005 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
If you or anyone else can explain to me what could POSSIBLY cost thousands more than I have listed above, please enlighten me......
You are right. It won't cost thousands more. Actually I think you can probably do it for a lot less.

I'm pretty sure that's what you wanted to hear....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

This is the second time I have seen that you have asked for people's opinions. Both times you have argued with them when they don't say what you want to hear.

A 350 chevy swap into a Jeep is not comparable to the one you want to do with a fully computerized late model engine. If you wanted to put a 350 in your truck, or even an old carburated Ford engine, it would probably be comparable, but this isn't. There is a lot more to the swap than just getting the engine to bolt in. I don't know any of the details because I have never tried anything like it, but I do know that late model engines rely on a lot of data from sources all over the vehicle to run correctly.

I don't doubt that it is possible to make it work, but I do doubt that it can be done as cheaply and easily as you think. If you are up to the challenge, go ahead and do it. I hope you prove everyone wrong.

Slonaker
Old 05-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
ZmOz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
This is the second time I have seen that you have asked for people's opinions. Both times you have argued with them when they don't say what you want to hear.
I get a little pissed off when people tell me I can't do something and then can't even begin to explain why. All the articles I've found about putting LS1s into these trucks say it isn't very hard or expensive.

Somebody PLEASE explain to me what is missing here that could possibly cost thousands of dollars:
Engine/tranny/accessories/harness/computer: $1000-$1500
Motor mounts from advance adapters: $75
Fuel pump: $150
Misc: $500?
Total: $925 - $1725
Old 05-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
short chevy

You are forgetting your labor. I did my truck pretty close from ground up restore. and i have spent $3600 have did nothing to interior yet. Thats with almost stock motor MY TIME I have close to $6000. As a investment you will lose. Keep It and drive it for while you will get your money back.
short chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

There are a million little things that are QUITE expensive that will nickle and dime ya to death.

I figured I could get my TPI setup up and running for about 400 bucks, that wound up being over a grand!

Trust me, we've seen this many times before, some guy like yourself comes running in here and says he can do something for 2 grand, and winds up putting down 4 - 5 grand! Happens all the time, as there are constantly little things that go wrong, need to be replaced, etc. For example, if your MAF is no good, there goes your 500 dollar misc right there... These fuel injection are by no means cheap. You gotta remember that those magazine guys have everything supplied to them, so to them, it probally is quite easy.

If you wanna do the swap, kudos to you! Infact, I very seriously considered a 5.3 / 4l60e swap myself! But I took the advice of people and decided to leave it to a later date when I will have enough cash to pour in if thats what it comes down to. Best thing you can do is prove us all wrong and get it done for 1400 or so, then you have every right to say "HA, told ya so!" Until then, we'll just base our observations on other's experiences to date

For a perfect example, go ask N2TRUX about the engine swap into his blazer!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #14
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

What kinda engine/tranny do you have that you're planning on selling for close to double the value you paid for the truck?

And those engines are everyway up there, but does that make them cheaper? And will you get a perfectly good one for low price, no parts/money need, just do swap and drive away?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
ZmOz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
For example, if your MAF is no good, there goes your 500 dollar misc right there... These fuel injection are by no means cheap. You gotta remember that those magazine guys have everything supplied to them, so to them, it probally is quite easy.
I know fuel injection isn't cheap, that's why I want to swap the whole engine rather than just add fuel injection...it will hardly cost more. I haven't looked, but I find it hard to believe MAFs are $500 when you can get a whole 5.3L engine with a MAF for that much. If you'll look at my first post you can see I actually budgeted about $800-1000 for misc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyShopDropOut12
What kinda engine/tranny do you have that you're planning on selling for close to double the value you paid for the truck?

And those engines are everyway up there, but does that make them cheaper? And will you get a perfectly good one for low price, no parts/money need, just do swap and drive away?
The old engine is a 454/TH400. I could easily part out this truck right now for quite a bit more than I paid. I got a very good deal. There are plenty of 5.3Ls for sale cheap. I got this idea when I found one for $1500. Then I found another in the paper for $1000. And another for $1200. They all include everything. Take a look for yourself how cheap they are. Around here every other vehicle is a Tahoe or Suburban...
Old 05-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #16
SanitysBane

Allright I have a question, why not just rebuild that big block, and put on a "bolt on" injectin kit like an edelbrock system on it? And it doesn't matter what the blue book or what ever value of something is, its how much someone wants to pay for it.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #17
ZmOz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane
Allright I have a question, why not just rebuild that big block, and put on a "bolt on" injectin kit like an edelbrock system on it? And it doesn't matter what the blue book or what ever value of something is, its how much someone wants to pay for it.
I've been thinking about that, but the bolt on injection kits are over $1000, rebuilding the 454 would be over $1000, and I still want an overdrive tranny. The stock 5.3L has as much torque and 80 more HP than my 454, and gets ridiculously better mileage.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #18
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Nothing personal but I also agree with most other posters. I've done a lot of conversions but it was for vehicles that were never intended to have the chosen motor. A 5.3 in an S10 would be cool or even anything 72 and down. same could probably be said for the 350 in a Jeep, which is nothing new. A 5.3 in a full size pickup can be bought factory, regardless if it's a later body style or not. i would rebuild the 454 for some extra hp & tq. mpg isn't generally a consideration when wanting more performance anyway. i'm sure it could be done, but would be easier with a somewhat complete donor vehicle. sounds like a lot of work to go into a 73-87 truck, that probably won't fetch the money & time invested, when sold. if still twisted on the 5.3 good luck with it. i'm sure it won't be all that difficult. however, i would consider using it as a stepping stone to make a profit off of as is and buy something with more value to convert.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:17 AM   #19
ZmOz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by badone07
mpg isn't generally a consideration when wanting more performance anyway.
It is for me. Why rebuild the pig I have now and end up with even less MPG when a 5.3 gives me 80 more HP AND triple the mileage? Anybody who thinks putting a 350 into a Cherokee is easy or common has never seen the engine bay of a Cherokee...
Old 05-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #20
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Quote:
Anybody who thinks putting a 350 into a Cherokee is easy or common has never seen the engine bay of a Cherokee...
have put a couple in CJ's. In my signature,there's one... I own a cherokee, not a problem. but the 4.0 in it, is fine for now. i have put sbc's in smaller engine compartments. any consquential trans tunnel work, for tranny clearance, is a different story. but can be remedied, just the same. i just build for performance and rather buy for mpg. good luck with the conversion and resale when you decide to do both.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #21
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
It is for me. Why rebuild the pig I have now and end up with even less MPG when a 5.3 gives me 80 more HP AND triple the mileage? Anybody who thinks putting a 350 into a Cherokee is easy or common has never seen the engine bay of a Cherokee...
Just putting a decent cam in a BBC will get you close to 400hp. The 5.3L is going to have 285hp.

Outside of the motor/transmission you need (off the top of my head):
Motor mounts for the crossmember
transmission mounts
Fuel supply and return line (high pressure)
new driveshaft
Intank pump setup/sending unit
high pressure pump
headers/manifolds
exhaust system
computer ECM work (we charge $400)
Wiring work (tons of hours if you are using the stock harness)
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #22
Russell
Professional Grade

The stock computer depends on a great deal of other information being put in from other, non-engine related systems. It will throw error codes beyond belief if you do not have those systems hooked up, or if you don't have the ECM reprogrammed to ignore those systems.

Last edited by Russell; 05-03-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #23
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

what about all the electronics? a/c system? heater? the guages?
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #24
The Dude

I dunno how common this swap i into these trucks, but for a similar style swap search the net for the ls1 swap into a first gen camaro. in the very least it will give you a good idea of what all is involved.

off the top of my head, your goin to need:

engine/trans
motor mounts
trans crossmember mods
driveshaft
computer work
tons of wiring work
ac and heat
mods to the pb and ps sytems
rewire all the trucks original electronics inot the new setup
fuel system
all new hoses
reworking shifter linkage?
etc, etc, etc,

and not to burst your bubble, but i've never heard of rocket surgery, maybe rocket science or brain surgery? but anywho, it is a complicated swap. i dont doubt your abilities, but you definately need to budget yourself some more $$$. plus nothing ever sticks to its budget right??
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote