The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Bad day, frustrated. Brake help please.

Thanks to all who responded to my drum thread, more on those in a bit.

My drums were a ***** to get off. I thought my truck had an adjuster slot in the back of the backing plate, but no. Both drums had the brakes wore into them and had formed a lip around them. Not fun to remove at all.

Got the driver side off. I went to advance and got drums, shoes, install kit (new springs and stuff), fluid, brake clean, and new wheel cylinders.

I get back and go to put the wheel cylinder on. Too damn big. It looks exactly like the one on the truck, but it was 1/4" too wide, it wouldn't fit between the metal wing things on the backing plate. WTF?

Go back to the store. Turns out there are 1-1/8" bore wheel cylinders and 1" ones. They didn't have any 1" ones so I bought a rebuild kit.

Back home. I'm doing this in a damn parking lot. Rebuilt the wheel cylinder and got it back in. Got the brakes in, then I went to put the new drums on.

They WOULD NOT fit over the shoes. I gently bumped them with a rubber hammer to make sure they were square. WTF again?

I look at the shoes. ****. They are different sizes. I reached back deep into my memory and it seemed somewhat familiar that they were different sizes because one side wears faster than the other, but I could not remember which. I'm actually *hoping* I have them backwards, maybe my drum will fit?

On to the drums. I bought the advance drums for $28 each. When compared to my stock one, they looked/felt pretty beefy so I bought them.

See last pic. I measured my drums diameter. I know they're supposed to be 11"x2". The brand new drum is 10-15/16-11.0" Not exactly sure with a tape measure.

My old drums are a little over 11-3/16! That's not including the area the pads gouged out on the inside.

So are my pads on wrong? Do I have the wrong pads (are they supposed to be the same thickness?) Are my drums too tight? Are there any tricks the pros use? The bottom shoe adjuster is adjusted all the way "in".

Sorry that was long. The parts stores are 20 minute trip each way with traffic. I had to clean up and quit because it got dark. Nothing fit. I've done drum brakes before. NEVER had issues like this.

Pics:

1. Passenger side. I was able to get this drum off without half ripping the brakes out. I always leave one side as a "cheat sheet" when I do drums.

2. Hard to tell, but the drums are scored badly on the inside.

3. New vs. old drum. The new drums have a very thick wall. My old drums have been turned a few times (I guess) and have much thinner walls.

4. Driver's side shoes. I have the thicker shoe on the back shoe, the E-brake shoe. Is that correct? Couldn't find anything about it through a search.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-09-2009 at 08:42 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote