The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
kwmech

Big Block install Q's

Not quite like the other questions, as I have been doing this for years although I have always used the short water pump. I am pulling the diesel out of my truck and going to a 454 tbi. However the 454 is out of an 88 with (of course) the long water pump and a serp belt for the w/p and alt. and a V belts for the AC and the PS. I was measuring tonight and looks like the fan clutch will be into the radiator. According to everything I measured the 6.2 overall from bellhousing mount to water pump is 27.5'' long ( I have 1.25'' from the end of the fan clutch to the radiator) and the big block with the long water pump is 31.250. Are you guys running electric fans or going with the short water pump that is 2'' shorter? I may be looking for a set of pulleys and brackets for a short wp.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
71Chevystepside

Re: Big Block install Q's

I had wondered the same thing, but in past 2 weeks have set my 77 454 in my truck. I has a long waterpump and I found it fits with the clutch fan installed, with about 2 in. from radiator. I had moved my engine back about 1 inch, so as to move some of the weight back and give me room for the fan. I am having to make a new driveline anyway. So far it looks like it will work for me...........

Hope that helps........

Rich
71Chevystepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
kwmech

Re: Big Block install Q's

What year is your truck, a 77 or is it a 77 engine in the earlier compartment. I thought I had set the 6.2 pretty far back to begin with. Guess I'll have to get out the tape measure again
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote