The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Upgrading parts for racing ?'s

So I can't seem to find a good decently priced radiator repair shop around this new town I live in, so I was just going to buy a new aluminum one.

My question is, What size of radiator should I buy?
I don't really want to spend more than $220 on one.
I'm also buying from Summit Racing.

A little info on my setup.
Automatic Transmission.
V8 Big Block.
No power adders.

The second question I have is, What harness should I buy as well? And if possible, can I buy one from Summit Racing that is DOT approved for drag racing?

Third question, Am I better off getting a new windshield or to buy plexie glass? The reason why I ask this question is because I do plan on chopping the top soon and I don't really want to buy a window now and then have a new one built later on. As with plexie glass I can just cut it down to fit the chop.

Also I'm hoping to get enough info because I do want to have the first and second questions ordered by Sunday night at the latest.

Thanks in advance.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Upgrading parts for racing ?'s

A little late for your sunday night deadline, but

Your on your own for a radiator. You get what you pay for. Ron Davis Radiators are a favorite around here (the Hell formerly known a Arizona)

If the 5pt harness is NHRA/SFI approved it will be perfectly fine for DOT,, if your looking for a shoulder/lap belt that will ne NHRA appoved,,, the stock / original belt will be just fine if yor 13.50 or slower

Don't know what body your dealing with, but most of the cheep imported widshields are like $200 cash out the back door of many glass shops. By the time you fight with drilling and riviting, painting a mask, and the cost of the Lexan it's self,,, I bet yor better off with a real glass windshield.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
low&slow
Account Suspended

Yeah my Sunday night plans went down the drain when I lost my job on Friday.

Anyways, The truck is a 69 c10. I have racing seats in it now and it is faster than 13.50. I got hit by the safety tech guys. They gave me a nice little list of things I need to keep running my time or to fix the small problems I have and run a slower time.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Sorry to hear about your job situation. Marv is correct about the radiators and what you pay for...I usually run Ron Davis or Griffin for aluminum versions, and I use a local shop for the traditional copper/brass.

For the 5-point driver restraints, technically "No," the SFI 16.1 (and up) restraints are not DOT approved. If you are looking for a 5-point driver restraint system that is DOT approved, I provide those for my customers as an authorized retailer for DJ Safety - one of the only racing safety equipment manufacturers who meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to certify their restraints DOT approved for highway use. I DOT tag the restraints for my customer, particularly in California, since many of the agencies are citing people more often these days.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Wow,, I had no idea a SFI harness wasn't DOT approved,, now is that silly or WHAT!!
As lap belt IS OK,, but something approved to hold you inat 200MPH crash isn't,,, that's nuts! Thanks for the sedtting it straight Vin.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
low&slow
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the info. I'm just trying to find a 5 point harness that will pass safety specs, but wondering if I do happen to get pulled over on the streets, if I will be fine with the harness?

The truck will be driven on the street only on days for local shows. All other times it will be on a trailer going to the track.