The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
formula_raider

Overheating!! Help!! Ideas

I am almost complete with my restoration of my 72, but the engine has me going insane becasue I cant seem to find the cause of my high engine temperature.
This what I have: Less then 500 miles on a Goodwrench 350, stock pistons, crank, rods, replaced heads with Iron Vortec. Aluminum vortec intake, mild flat tappet crane cam .454 .480, double roller timing set, roller rockers. Compression is around 9.25:1. Nothing real radical at all. I put a complete serpentine setup for waterpump, AC, power steering from a 92 camaro. I got a new waterpump for a 92 camaro (reverse rotation). Have NEW 4-core radiator with Classic Heartbeat dual fan shroud. Running (2) 12" puller fans and (1) pusher fan in front of condensor. A 160 degree thermostat that has been tested. This engine slowly creeps up after the thermostat opens up to 210, I have never let it reach higher than that. I have never had any problems with SBC overheating. The last SBC I had in the truck had NO shroud w/4 core and never broke 170. I am at a loss. Could I have the possibity of "air" in the water pump or cooling system....I have NEVER had this problems before on a SBC but whos to say. How do you purge air from the system. How do I tell if my water pump is really doing its job.....it is not leaking in anyway....but I wonder if it is pumping enough. The temperature seems to climb weither im at idle or on hwy. So I dont think it is the electric fans not keeping up. Any suggestions??? Sorry for the novel just wanted cover everything.
formula_raider is offline   Reply With Quote