The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
nlped

TH350 that won't shift into 2nd

Okay, a quick question. I have just bought this old beater, which I was told wouldn't run, that now runs. It was a bit low on trans fluid so I added 2 quarts and it would pull like normal in 1st and Reverse. But when I took it out on its "Maiden" voyage, come to find out it won't pull in 2nd, nor will it shift into 3rd. When the trans shifts into 2nd it pulls the motor down and will actually try to lock up the rear tires. Is this something major, or is there something simple that I can check first? It does great in 1st and Reverse, and the fluid looks nice and red, but beyond that, I have no knowledge when it comes to an automatic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: TH350 that won't shift into 2nd

It's not something as simple as the vacuum modulator line being disconnected?
Maybe a cracked/dry rotted vacuum line?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 11-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
SGTHohensee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
It's not something as simple as the vacuum modulator line being disconnected?
Maybe a cracked/dry rotted vacuum line?
Probably not. Usually if it's that it will shift very hard and very late. Kinda sounds like something is stuck inside causing hydraulic pressure in places it shouldn't. You might try some Trans Tune from Seafoam to try and unstick whatever is stuck. Either that, or something is broke inside, and that's why the truck was parked. Good luck.
Coming Soon: 1989 R2500 CCLB single tire

Last edited by SGTHohensee; 11-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
SGTHohensee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
cableguy0

could be a bad 2nd gear sprag. the only thing to do is yank the trans and tear it apart to find the problem. if its locking up most likely you got broken hard parts.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
midnite

i had a problem where mimne wouldnt shift at all but 1st and reverse worked, i forgot the vaccum line on the transmission when i put it all back together
midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im thirding the vacuum line or the modulator on the trans

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
Okay, a quick question. I have just bought this old beater, which I was told wouldn't run, that now runs. It was a bit low on trans fluid so I added 2 quarts and it would pull like normal in 1st and Reverse. But when I took it out on its "Maiden" voyage, come to find out it won't pull in 2nd, nor will it shift into 3rd. When the trans shifts into 2nd it pulls the motor down and will actually try to lock up the rear tires. Is this something major, or is there something simple that I can check first? It does great in 1st and Reverse, and the fluid looks nice and red, but beyond that, I have no knowledge when it comes to an automatic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed
When I have had the vacuum modulator line come off at the trans it would not shift into second but maybe I wasn't staying in it long enough to force it to shift.

Dragging the engine down doesn't sound like anything normal unless you are getting a little compression braking from being high up in rpm in 2nd and letting off on the gas like at the end of a drag strip but I have never had enough of that with an unmodified valve body to actually try to lock up the tires.

You can have a valve body modified for more compression braking but usually that is done to race cars not old trucks.

I say check the vacuum modulator line all the way from the engine to the trans to make sure it is not damaged / unhooked first then call a transmission shop and give them your symptoms. They may be able to tell you what it is over the phone if it is a common problem.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Hay all.33 years with Chevy. Modulator will not cause this problem. Modulators job is to regulate shift points by changing control pressure. The governor does the same thing based on road speed. Now, 1st gear is forward clutch & low\reverse clutch, second gear is intermediate clutch and band, third gear is forward clutch and direct clutch, reverse is direct clutch and low\reverse clutch which gives you a second gear ratio in reverse. You could have a stuck sprag but I am of the mind you have an internal oil leak requireing ovehaul, especially if it was that low on fluid. 350's are dependable IF they are built right. Find a good mechanic who knows them.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
nlped

I replaced the hammered vacuum line from the intake to the hardline going down to the trans. I assume that is the modulator line everyone is talking about.

Well, I took it out and drove it a bit and it was still "locking" up when it shifted up to second, so I slipped it into neutral then back to drive a couple of times and wahlah, it is now shifting into all gears. Don't know if something inside the trans was just stuck or what, but it now shift perfectly.

I'm gonna get some more trans fluid and a filter kit and change them next. The rear seal needs to be replaced as it leaks, but maybe that will be all ole Blue needs.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
joe231

maybe it was something sticking in the valve body, just needed some persuasion
Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
nlped

Must have been, that made my Sunday!!!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Being so low on fluid probably exposed it to some corrosion that worked its way clean after a little use. Glad it is working again. Tranny swaps suck.

I think I would do a filter & fluid change on it now.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote