The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

I can't believe that this beat me at the car show today !!!!

All right guys, this one cuts deep. I was at a cruise-in/car show today and this is the rig that beat me today. The class was listed 1972 or older SUV. To make matters worse is we were the only 2 rigs in that class. In my defense I will say that it is a very clean van, but it is a van for crying out load !!!! I was told later that the van owner was a local car show regular and that a lot of his buddies showed up and voted for him.

Now for the good news. My wife really started to enjoy the whole car show deal and started to understand what makes our Blazers so special. After a few people came buy and told us things like "you don't see these anymore" and "I love these things" her button was pushed to do it more. Also, she noticed that we had the only Blazer in the whole show, verses all the Camero's, 55-57 Chevy's and Corvettes that were there. So, I guess that I lost the battle but won the war. When I showed her what beat us, she said "well kick his a$$ next year.
Attached Images

Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)
MORE TO COME !!!!!! Now going to 2WD!!!!!

Sold.

I got it back after 22 years and did not even know it !!!
THE STORY HERE

Project Low Down Dirty Rat
ABLAZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Re: I can't believe that this beat me at the car show today !!!!

Id take your blazer over that van any day of the week! (but I may be a little prejudiced)

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
jamie72

i wouldn`t be seen in that freakin van,glad you wife is coming into it...

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
badchev69

Hey where was this car show today? Micminville? I was in salem for the streamline show today (although i didnt take the blazer we took the 68 camaro..) I have had a few shows here in oregon where the wierdest rigs beat my blazer out for the trophy, but it feels much better when the following year you wipe them out 3 weeks in a row! Good luck with that and maybe see you around, I live in corvallis but the blazer resides in stayton where there is a tall enough shop to put it in... haha
1968 camaro yellow/white stripes (wife's car)

2011 GMC reg cab short bed 2wd daily driver 5/7 drop on 22's

1972 K5 Blazer 13"/11"lift,38"M/T MTZ's, 3" cust exst.
350/350 (sold it )
badchev69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Peoples choice results mean nothing... never will. Its just like you said, his buddies showed up. Shoot, I was at a show once where a lady won a class with a nothing special 64 Cadillac. Then it turns out she stole a whole stack of ballets and filled them out herself. Go figure.
Congrats on getting youre wife excited about it, dont be disapointed, just enjoy the company of other gearheads and the beutiful day. You will win some and lose some, all you get for winning is dust catchers anyway.
If you want to really learn about what you need to improve your Blazer, go to some shows which are panel judged. Then you will learn something and if you win, it will be legit.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
69TowRig

In defense of the van, I don't think I've ever seen one of those before and to see one in that great shape would be pretty special. It's not like there is a following of those like there are for our trucks, I'm sure parts are especially hard to get.

Good luck next time!
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

I can't believe it either - fraud for sure. I would never take sides against a blazer, and that van is not a "suv"... but between us that van is kind of cool.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by badchev69 View Post
Hey where was this car show today? Micminville? I was in salem for the streamline show today (although i didnt take the blazer we took the 68 camaro..) I have had a few shows here in oregon where the wierdest rigs beat my blazer out for the trophy, but it feels much better when the following year you wipe them out 3 weeks in a row! Good luck with that and maybe see you around, I live in corvallis but the blazer resides in stayton where there is a tall enough shop to put it in... haha
The show was in Albany (Where I live) . I remember seeing your Blazer at the show at Joe's a few years ago before the really big lift.. I am sure as I do more of these shows we will run into each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzngmychvy View Post
I can't believe it either - fraud for sure. I would never take sides against a blazer, and that van is not a "suv"... but between us that van is kind of cool.
To tell the truth, the van cool in its own way. I was more upset him putting it in the SUV class then anything else. I was a somewhat of at a disadvantage with my placement in the back row and not as much traffic. I had a great time talking to a lot of people and really, the Blazer is not what I call show ready. As I stated earlier, the wife on board now and that is the most important thing. She even bought a display board holder while I was at work today for doing the shows. Also, she wants more so I guess I'll just have to suffer and get some more stuff.
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)

Sold.

THE STORY HERE

Old 08-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
vtblazer

I tried the car show thing, couldn't stand it personally.

Smallish show, less than 250 cars/trucks but winning 1st in class was definitely something worth remembering.

Guess I'd rather be out riding around with the family enjoying it for myself.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

The van wasn`t judged against your Blazer by which one the judges would rather have or which is cooler,or more popular.In fact,it`s unusual and rarer than a Blazer.So,that alone put you at a disadvantage.It`s also "RED".It looks like a real clean hardly driven vehicle,like mostly show.That`s what beat you.
To me,people`s choice is the best trophy because it says your vehicle is just damn cool and most people liked it better than the rest.Not based on how well you cleaned between the master cyl and booster or that your air filter has 1,000 miles on it.If the votes are loaded,that`s the judge`s job to weed out duplicate votes.
If I ever show(not likely),I show to show.Not show to win.The last show I put my bike in I hoped on it after a couple hours.People started gathering right away.I heard,"fire it up" and "let`s hear it",which is what I was about to do.I started it and could hear a few "sounds good" and "how many inches is that".Then,as I put it in gear I noticed alot of questioning looks and heard stuff like,"maybe he`s pulling it up for judging" and all these other deductions.I guess they figured it out by the time they heard me hit 3rd haulin`it on up the road.I realized that day that the show thing wasn`t for me.
The last show before that,at the same place,a guy beat me with a stock bike that had some graphic added ontop of the factory paint on the tank and a few chrome accessories.He and his wife were helping the shop putting on the show.His wife was registering the bikes and helping with food.Everyone had something to say about it winning and mine was one of the bikes they figured was nicer.I realized right there that I just don`t GAF.It`s not what it`s about to me.If I ever enter a show it will be for exibition-only and to support the show.If I want to run that machine,I`m gone.That`s what it`s all about and there ain`t enough time for that!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #11
wardblazer68

Don't feel to bad, got beat out of a project class by a '78 Firebird with a Earl Shibe paint job and it was in project because the moldings weren't on it yet, and one of the judges was the hack bodyman that painted it, I was there in final primer ready to paint, no rims, and still in assembly phase there was no other vehicle in the class that could have been anymore of a 'Project' vehicle. So, ohwell. The thing is now, with goin' ol'skool finding a class to fit in at shows is gonna be a challenge.

Later, Allan
wardblazer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
krue
Designated A-hole!

You sure that thing didn't win the ugly duck contest?

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #13
jcfoote60

Yep...............the old "SHAG WAGON".............probably brought back some good memories for the old folks like me!! Influenced the voting....
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
You sure that thing didn't win the ugly duck contest?
Really, you think it's ugly? You don't think it's cool?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

At least the van was chevy.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

I Think I Was Made In A Van Just Like That!!!!
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #17
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

Thanks for the support and insight and listening to my venting (OK, whining) . After looking back it, the trophy would have been nice, but I really gained something more important then a piece of plastic. First, as mentioned, the FULL support of my wife on this. Second, I got to talk to a lot of people who love our old Blazers and bring back some fond memories to some others. In the end I will still do a few shows, but never to the point that is all I do with it. I just love driving it WAY to much to let it just sit under a car cover.

For those who think that the van is cool..... here are some facts about it. It is a 1966 Chevy Sport Van, The owner is an older gentleman (70ish ) who has taken very good care of it. He takes it to a lot of local shows and as far as I know, that is about it.

One last thought, maybe I messed up on the meaning of SUV. It must of meant Sport Utility VAN !!!!
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)

Sold.

THE STORY HERE

Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 AM   #18
retselgerg

Sorry you lost to a van, but i really find the van interesting, never seen such a thing in such shape, but i would much rather have the Blazer... better luck next time.

Last edited by retselgerg; 08-17-2007 at 02:35 AM.
retselgerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
bigfredtn

Location: West TN (Memphis area) now. East TN (my favorite place to live).

I have learned that most car shows are not judged fairly. I now go only to show my car and look at other cars.
62 Chevy Impala
98 GMC Yukon
1970 Ford Mustang Fastback I know its a Ford.
bigfredtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:47 AM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you go to local shows to win, your going for the wrong reason. After spending a few years of trophy hunting, I realized the trophy meant nothing. The friends that I made are still with me today, while the awards were thrown out last time I moved.

Enjoy the people you meet, the stories you hear, and the satisfaction of bringing a smile to the face of many people that appreciate the work you have done....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #21
stepside454

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If you go to local shows to win, your going for the wrong reason. After spending a few years of trophy hunting, I realized the trophy meant nothing. The friends that I made are still with me today, while the awards were thrown out last time I moved.

Enjoy the people you meet, the stories you hear, and the satisfaction of bringing a smile to the face of many people that appreciate the work you have done....
exactly, I go, I usually display my truck. I enjoy my friends, meeting people. I really dont care about the trophys. last year I was at a show & a guy was ticked off cause he didnt get a trophy. I asked him (sorta jokingly) if he wanted my second place trophy....he gladly accepted. Wierd...to top it off I seen him at another show a few weeks later...he had the trophy I gave him displayed on the front seat. He acted like he didnt even know who I was. LOL
Old 08-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #22
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

Quote:

This is true, and I've only entered one show.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #23
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

Quote:

Gee...I wish I had said something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLAZN View Post
Thanks for the support and insight and listening to my venting (OK, whining) . After looking back it, the trophy would have been nice, but I really gained something more important then a piece of plastic. First, as mentioned, the FULL support of my wife on this. Second, I got to talk to a lot of people who love our old Blazers and bring back some fond memories to some others. In the end I will still do a few shows, but never to the point that is all I do with it. I just love driving it WAY to much to let it just sit under a car cover. :
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)

Sold.

THE STORY HERE

Old 08-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #24
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Now that I am older, and ya I am just 30 but that is old to me. Anyway, the shows that I go to now I never stay for the handing out of the trophies. It is so over rated and people do get so mad over this. It just P@$@# me off.

Trav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #25
va_tlc

ntr72gmc.. thats some funny stuff there .... you must have a great memory knowing you was made in a van like that lol.. as far as shows goes i enjoy going and participating in non judged events. cause of the way they (class) cars and trucks. i belive there main reason is they dont have to buy as many trophys and such.. just dont let it ruin ya day is the way i look at it. my cars and trucks are for MY enjoyment not for some dude that walks up and nit piks each gravel chip on the lower rocker. or the over spray left on a vent window or something.. as for that van.. theres alot of cars and trucks i personelly dont like but i respect a rebuild or original being someone took there time and labor or money to preserve something from the past...

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote