The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
75C10

Crazy cost of shipping

I needed a pair of vent window seals that weren't available locally or thru LMC. Precision wanted $62 shipping for a $57 part. I ordered from Brothers - the part was $40 plus $28 shipping. It came today with another $32 shipping attached. So converted to CDN dollar a $40 part became $126.69 landed here.
I think my border shipping company will become more useful. What is happening to the cost of shipping? Darwin
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
ptc

Re: Crazy cost of shipping

You need to realize that most USA parts suppliers are using Priority EXPRESS mail and charging you for it.... They do not let you "choose your own shipping" to save money.

I just shipped some parts to a friend in Europe and sent them FIRST CLASS USPS and paid only $22 compared to $69 for Priority EXPRESS.

He still got it in 10 days even with Customs hold.

Last edited by ptc; 03-02-2016 at 05:16 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Shugalou

Look up Bills Trucks they are 20 minutes away from me and have everything and they ship...You should call them up just to see if you could have saved some loot.

http://www.billstruckshop.com/

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
geezer#99

Did you try Scott first.
http://www.scottssupertrucks.com/
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
Kudzupatch

I run a small business and ship Internationally a fair amount. Bottom line is cross the border and shipping costs are just high.

Post Office is cheaper than UPS or FedEx most of the time. First class is a good option but it has a weight limit and then it has to go Priority mail. I forget the limit but it is pretty low.

US Postal Service pushes Priority mail. From a shippers point it is has a lot of advantages, especially since they furnish many different sizes of boxes and some supplies. People don't realize how expensive shipping supplies! Boxes, labels, shipping tape is crazy expensive!

Priority Express mail is VERY expensive but you are promised very fast shipping times.

As a consumer and small business owner I see both sides and while I can't speak for other businesses, we never mark up Postage and even so it still very pricey to ship anything across any border.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Front Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75C10 View Post
What is happening to the cost of shipping? Darwin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._postage_rates

There has been a steady increase in rates over time. There's been a significant increase across the board every year since the decline is letters vs the increase in packages / e-commerce. Look at the jump starting around 2006.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75C10 View Post
I needed a pair of vent window seals that weren't available locally or thru LMC. Precision wanted $62 shipping for a $57 part. I ordered from Brothers - the part was $40 plus $28 shipping. It came today with another $32 shipping attached. So converted to CDN dollar a $40 part became $126.69 landed here.
I think my border shipping company will become more useful. What is happening to the cost of shipping? Darwin
With our dollar sucking so bad right now and the fact that most US companies will ship with USPS it still hurts.

I'm in the same City as you and I have become extremely selective of what I buy and when I buy from the states now. It used to be that buying from RA was cheaper even with shipping but now.. locally is about the same price.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
barry1982

I agree with you guys about shipping going up. I ship a fair bit with the post office.... and am familiar with rates. Many companies are using "shipping costs" to increase their profit. I try not doing business with them, and have even challenged a few via emails/calls etc.
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:35 AM   #9
75C10

Thanks to all for the comments and ideas. Definitely will do future business in the US differently. Darwin
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
blazer2007

I feel your pain,I try to get my stuff delivered thru the mail,Summitt does have a good deal with I think fed ex.,there price is right to your door.When UsA ships is only to the border then our guys pick it up and that is why we get that extra price increase,that is what I was told.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
1774btcrew

Shipping here in the US is effecting us too! It just seems to get higher all of the time. It makes it tough to ship to other countries due to the cost as most buyers just don't want to pay it. I also never mark up my shipping costs. Usually if it is an item on eBay, I give the option for priority mail or priority mail flat rate box if it will fit. The reason my International items go Priority mail is that I want them to the customer as quickly as possible. One, so that they get their stuff in a timely manner and two, so that it leaves less time for the package to be out in the system either getting damaged or lost. I do insure my items but as a buyer myself, I know how upsetting it can be to finally find the part you have been looking for and have it arrive damaged or not at all.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote