The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
stinsonj

'51 Build w/4bt Cummins

It looks like the majority of truck builds posted in this forum follow the same trend, V-8 swap, s10 frame, air bags, etc., and to tell you the truth, if I were building a truck for myself, that's what I would do too. But, the truck I'm currently working on is for my wife, and she wants the old farm truck look with no care for big V-8 power and something that sits flat on the ground.

I picked up a 1951 3100 about a week ago from a ranch out in central Oregon for $1,700. The last time it was registered was 1975, which I'm assuming was the last time it moved as well. According to the previous owner, it has never been wrecked, and has fairly minimal rust since its very dry over in that part of Oregon (still has some rust through in the cab corners and minimal rust in the floor boards). I have the original title which is nice since it seems that most of these trucks come with just a bill of sale since the title went missing at some point.

Anywho, here are my plans for the truck, aptly named "Pearl" by my wife:

Sand blast and paint the original frame
- Since bringing the truck home, we have already removed all of the body panels, bed, and cab, and removed the engine and tranny.

Rebuild the entire steering system

Install new leaf springs that maintain stock ride height

Swap out the old, original rear end for a GM 10-bolt

Install 4-wheel disc brakes

Swap out the original 235 straight 6 for a Cummins 4bt

Patch up the cab the best I can

Full interior

Now, the only work I plan on having someone else do is the interior work. My only experience on doing something like this was building a 1953 CJ3a. On the jeep, I swapped out the original motor for a 2.3L ford, rebuilt the steering system with completely different design than stock, installed a beefier front end, and installed new brakes on all 4 corners. So basically, I have some experience doing most that I have planned for the '51.

My questions as of right now are:

Performanceonline.com has a rack and pinion conversion kit for these truck (https://www.performanceonline.com/19...nd-Pinion-Kit/) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these or if I would be better off just rebuilding the stock system

Since I'll be installing something other than the standard v-8, do you think I should install the engine and tranny first, then figure out the steering set-up? Or the steering set-up first then the engine? I'm just a little worried about clearances since that ended up being an issue with my jeep.

I would like to fix the rust through areas with patch panels, but I really want to maintain the original patina, and a brand new piece of metal wouldn't fit the look. Anyone have any experience with "aging" new metal to somewhat match the old rusty stuff?

Here's a picture I took after slapping on the panels before the complete tear down. Nothing is bolted on and is just sitting in place in this picture.
Attached Images

stinsonj is offline   Reply With Quote