The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
TxSqueeze

Installed CPP 3" front springs.....

Well, when I ordered these I was told by the CPP rep that the big block springs and the small block springs were rated the same. I questioned him and he assured me they were the same. Well I installed them last night and it measures 25.5" from the ground to the top of the fender well!! Looks awesome, but now I'm gonna have to order 6" springs for the rear just to make it sit close to level. Right now 5" coils and 2" blocks are in the rear and it is still 1.5" higher than the front. So to get the look I'm after I will have to swap the 5" coils for some 6" coils. Just a little warning, whatever the CPP rep tells you, it is not the same drop whether it's BB or SB! It looks awesome though, and yes I know I need to post some pictures, I'll get them up as soon as I can!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
70cst

Re: Installed CPP 3" front springs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSqueeze View Post
Well, when I ordered these I was told by the CPP rep that the big block springs and the small block springs were rated the same. I questioned him and he assured me they were the same. Well I installed them last night and it measures 25.5" from the ground to the top of the fender well!! Looks awesome, but now I'm gonna have to order 6" springs for the rear just to make it sit close to level. Right now 5" coils and 2" blocks are in the rear and it is still 1.5" higher than the front. So to get the look I'm after I will have to swap the 5" coils for some 6" coils. Just a little warning, whatever the CPP rep tells you, it is not the same drop whether it's BB or SB! It looks awesome though, and yes I know I need to post some pictures, I'll get them up as soon as I can!

Thats interesting...I have always been told the BB springs and SB springs are different.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
cdowns

hope you got it aligned too so your tires dont wearout
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
TxSqueeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post

Thats interesting...I have always been told the BB springs and SB springs are different.
Well it only makes sense to me that BB springs would differ from SB springs due to the extra weight. Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the weight difference is something like 400lbs if not more? Only makes sense they would be rated differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
hope you got it aligned too so your tires dont wearout
Yes, you always align a vehicle after dropping it, much less this much! Will definitely be aligned before driving very far.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
leddzepp

I have used stock front springs from a BBC truck and an SBC truck. It made no difference in the height even with the big block in there.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Mondo

When I went from 2in to 3in drop springs (plus dropped spindle) the alignment shop couldn't get it back to spec camber. I think they were afraid of using too many spacers.

I bought some upper A arms from Brothers made for lowered trucks... improves caster as well. CPP offers them too.

Truck rides straight & great!
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
CheyenneShop

TxSqueeze - are you going to keep your inner fenders?
68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
TxSqueeze

Well I took them out and wanted to go back with some plastic ones, but it might be a little close. Don't know if there will be enough room.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
epashhans

I have the 3/5 spring set from CPP with a 454 and my front actually sits very level. From some angles or where its parked it even looks like a negative rake (like the front is sitting higher). I am planning on bringing my front down a bit more for a touch more rake. I didn't specify when I ordered, I just got the kit suspension and handling kit with the drop springs. Have you driven it at all? My springs have settled a bit I think, but I didn't take any measurements during the process so I have no hard evidence. Probably driven it 500 miles or so since the install.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
TxSqueeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by epashhans View Post
I have the 3/5 spring set from CPP with a 454 and my front actually sits very level. From some angles or where its parked it even looks like a negative rake (like the front is sitting higher). I am planning on bringing my front down a bit more for a touch more rake. I didn't specify when I ordered, I just got the kit suspension and handling kit with the drop springs. Have you driven it at all? My springs have settled a bit I think, but I didn't take any measurements during the process so I have no hard evidence. Probably driven it 500 miles or so since the install.
Haven't driven it yet, that's what scares me. I went and rocked it by hand earlier, and it is now 25.25".
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
epashhans

Just out of curiosity, what are you running for springs? Its a bummer, but I know every truck is different. I have seen trucks on here with 3/5 that all look a little different...some higher and some lower. I would drive it and let everything settle and then make adjustments. That's what I am doing. That way I don't get overzealous and make adjustments that may change. I figure 500-1000 miles and everything should be good and settled...? Just a guess though.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
TxSqueeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
When I went from 2in to 3in drop springs (plus dropped spindle) the alignment shop couldn't get it back to spec camber. I think they were afraid of using too many spacers.

I bought some upper A arms from Brothers made for lowered trucks... improves caster as well. CPP offers them too.

Truck rides straight & great!
Could you do me a favor and measure from the ground to the top of the fender well, and also the size tires you are running. I'm running 3" springs w/ drop spindles as well and I'm just curious what others are measuring. Thanks for the help
Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
reds_racing

25 1/4" is awfully close to the ground. I thought I was too low at 27" from ground to top of fender well. I bet it looks bada$$. My headers are only 4" off the ground, so there is absolutely no way I could go lower without changing those out! We need pics!!
reds_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Mike J
vw guy & now c-10 guy

i'd say that 454 is really making a difference with the springs- I just went out and measured my truck- with 2.5" drop spindle and 3" springs and a 225/75r15 tire, my front is at 26.5" from ground to top of fenderwell- I have a 250 6cyl, so it's way lighter than the big block. my rear is at 27.5" with 5" springs and a 2" block, along with same size 215/75r15 tires.
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote