The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
69gmcbigblock

engine won't stop

hey all,

so my truck suddenly does not want to stop. so today i picked up a new ignition switch and installed it. plugged it all in and the same thing. it starts up fine, just won't stop when i switch to off.

it doesn't sounds like deiseling, but i guess it could be. it just keeps running if nothing has happened. the only other odd thing is that around the same time it started happening i got a nasty exhaust leak or something because it is suddenly really loud...but i've yet to find the big rust hole i expected to find.

any ideas?

cheers
droo
Old 07-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: engine won't stop

check your pcv valve

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
fearnatine13
Boondock Saint

i had the same problem about 2 years ago, right after i first got my truck. the valve cover gaskets were all bad, and i was losing oil on the passenger side over the manifold. apparently i had gotten so much oil on the starter, it shorted out and the truck wouldnt stop. doesnt quite sound like your problem, but just my .02 cents worth.
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be
En nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti
fearnatine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
69gmcbigblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordachai
check your pcv valve
i'm not sure it has a pcv valve. it's a 69' big block and the only thing i see in the plumbing looks like a soup can with 2 hoses going to it, which looks more like a charcoal canister or something. any idea where it would be if it had one? i really couldn't find it.

cheers
droo
Old 07-26-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
RSRXION

Your problem lies with the ignition and/or fuel. Back the timing off a couple of degrees and I'll bet your trouble goes away. You may not be able to hear the pinging found with a detonation or "spark knock" situation but you are certainly doing the valve seats and psitons no good whatsoever. You probably ought to look in to a little higher octane fuel as well if you decide not to change the timing. With the warmer temps and poor quality of fuel, detonation is prevalent and almost certainly what's going on. JMHO, Dean
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 AM   #6
69gmcbigblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRXION
Your problem lies with the ignition and/or fuel. Back the timing off a couple of degrees and I'll bet your trouble goes away. You may not be able to hear the pinging found with a detonation or "spark knock" situation but you are certainly doing the valve seats and psitons no good whatsoever. You probably ought to look in to a little higher octane fuel as well if you decide not to change the timing. With the warmer temps and poor quality of fuel, detonation is prevalent and almost certainly what's going on. JMHO, Dean
i dunno, i'll give it a go. for backing off the timing i assume it's just a twist of the dizzy? which way?

sorry, this is my dump runner truck, and i've been too cheap to buy a workshop manual =)
Old 07-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
dwaite72lnghrn

It really sounds lile the starter selonoid is shorting the starting circuit. Check the exhaust where it connects to the passenger side manifold. If the leak is there it could have over heated the selonoid. Too much fuel would cause the BBC to shake and studder but with no electric to sparks it will eventually stop. My bet is shorted power to Dizzy it will just leep running.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
Huck

Turn it off while in gear--does it now stop?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #9
Fastrucken

try disconnecting the plug on your alternator. Some times the ignition can be supplied with just enough power from the field of your alternator to keep it running with out the ignition switch on. A simple diode would fix this problem.

Graham
Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
RSRXION

Back to the previous post... If you shut the truck off in gear with the engine running, does it die ? If so I'll stick to my original assumption of too much advance timing. All of the other answers are certainly very viable and could be your problem. I'd start with the timing first because it's simple to fix and doesn't cost anything. Good luck, Dean
Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
69gmcbigblock

Quote:
Back to the previous post... If you shut the truck off in gear with the engine running, does it die ? If so I'll stick to my original assumption of too much advance timing. All of the other answers are certainly very viable and could be your problem. I'd start with the timing first because it's simple to fix and doesn't cost anything. Good luck, Dean

in gear it does not stop. i have to stall the truck out to stop it. haven't had a chance to rotate the dizzy yet.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
john
member #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrucken
try disconnecting the plug on your alternator. Some times the ignition can be supplied with just enough power from the field of your alternator to keep it running with out the ignition switch on. A simple diode would fix this problem.

Graham

Have you tried this yet. I have seen this happen.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
69gmcbigblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Have you tried this yet. I have seen this happen.
not yet, which plug? and if i were to put in a diode, what diode and where?

thx
Old 07-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
RSRXION

what do you mean when you say you " have to stall the truck out " ? It's running , in gear and you shut the switch off and it dies ? My money says it's timing if this is the case. Dean
Old 07-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
69gmcbigblock

Quote:
what do you mean when you say you " have to stall the truck out " ? It's running , in gear and you shut the switch off and it dies ? My money says it's timing if this is the case. Dean
errr, no.

it's a manual 4 on the floor and if it's in gear and my foot is pressing on the clutch it will not die when i shut the switch off. if it's in gear, foot off the clutch, and the truck is moving, or in 1st, it will not die when i shut the switch off (it will keep going or start going).

when it dies in gear it has nothing to do with switching the ignition. i come to a stop, put it in 2nd let off the clutch while holding the brake, and then it stalls out.

i tried pulling the plug on the alternator, that did nothing. i tried to turn the dizzy, but couldn't figure out where the heck you loosen it up...my engine bay is dark and dirty so it doesn't make it easy =)
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

do you have an electric fan by chance?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
69gmcbigblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
do you have an electric fan by chance?
nope, last i looked it looked like it was driven off the motor.

i think i may just throw in the towel and take it to a shop, since i know i don't want to fix the exaust problem, and i'd rather be working on my motorcycle =)
Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

I don't know why I didn't think of it, but it certianly could be your timing.

There is a little piece of metal(bracket) attached to your intake (iirc) with a bolt, this bolt holds down a little metal tab or bracket that hold the Dist. in place. Loosen this bolt and you'll be able to rotate the dist.

I know this is a picture of a furd dist. ( right now I'm not where my truck is...)

but the tab will look something like this:

but will be on the back of your engine(durn furds) and as you said, might be under a bit of greasy oily sludge!

I'd reccomend getting a timing light, for only a little money, it can save you lots of headaches!

|M|

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #19
Longhorn Man

Many of you are thinking it is dieseling, but in fact, it sounds to me like it is still running like normal.
Unplug the ignition switch on the back side of the dash. You'll probably need a small screwdriver, maybe even 2. It is somewhat common for the terminals to get all messed up and arc across. There is a chance that your problem is in there, if it all looks good, i would replace the ignition switch.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #20
jay6891
Car Knocker

Turn the radio on! I had a 71 burb that for some reason that if the radio was off and I tried to turn the engine off, just kept running. If I turned the radio on and killed it, everytime normal. I traced wires many times and never did find the problem. Even unpluged the radio, yes I had to plug it back in to kill my truck.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #21
bryanw1968

Hmm....
I had the same problem on my '68 in highschool and it was in fact the ignition switch. I agree that even though you replaced it, there could still be a wiring problem causing this. It would have to be quite of bit of dieseling to make the truck take off in 1st gear. Also, if it were a timing problem. Wouldn't you want to advance the timing? After all, isn't diesel combustion without spark? It's been my experience that my truck would only diesel if it was to retarded. Then again, I could be wrong. Just my .2 cents. Good luck!

Last edited by bryanw1968; 07-28-2006 at 06:22 PM.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #22
Longhorn Man

advancing causes dieseling.
And the engine actually runs backwards when it does that, so when he lets out the clutch in first, he'd go backwards.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:31 AM   #23
69gmcbigblock

well, get this, i took it to a shop, they spent two hours trying to figure it out then then called and told me it was the switch, i told them i had just replaced it and i was about 99.99999% sure it was not the switch. at that point they said, well we'll only bill you an hour, we can't figure it out.

so i get the truck, go to home depot to get some stuff, crawl under the truck since the parking lot is much nicer than my gravel driveway, and staring right at me is the battery cable going to the starter which has worked it's way loose and is firmly resting on the post for the little yellow wire. along with that is the hole in my exhaust manifold...pointing right at the starter...which i had also just replaced like 3 months ago...doh!

so it turns out my louder exhaust and non-stopping symptoms are related. the shop had figured out the manifold leak, but wanted $1200 to fix it and my rusty exhaust. i don't really care about the rest of the exhaust, but they wanted $500 for just the manifold part! which seemed a bit steep to me, considering this one is $90...

http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...Category_ID=26

anyway, once again the "professionals" have left me with a bad impression. i guess if you can't plug a computer into it and get a diagnostic code, it's just too "hard" to figure out.

thanks for everyones help. the first time i looked under at the start i just didn't see it. since i thought i was looking at a cheap exhaust fix i thought it would be something simple a shop could fix...guess i over estimated them.

if anyone has a clean passenger side manifold that would fit a 69' 396 big block, drop me a line.

cheers
droo