The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
darkone

Hardening the Dash for a wooden veneer; how should i do it? Lots of Mahogany Flash

so, im trimming out the interior of the 70 chev stepside with mahogany to match the custom bed. I need to figure out a way to harden the dash pad for application of a veneer so that if it is bumped, hit, or kicked (hope not!) it wont crack.
I must use an unfinished mahogany veneer because i have to be able to match the stains on all wood accents, of which there will be a lot!
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Hardening the Dash for a wooden veneer; how should i do it? Lots of Mahogany Flas

Duplicate the pad in wood,then veneer it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
id_unavailable

Re: Hardening the Dash for a wooden veneer; how should i do it? Lots of Mahogany Flas

You could glass it. It would be a an itchy and scratchy experience.

Do you have a local sawmill? I would look at doing the entire pad out of mahogany wood. Most of it could be formed with a table saw as the dash is fairly flat with angles that could be roughed in. The rounded corners could be done with a cheese grader and a disk sander with a lot of hand sanding. It would be a lot of work but it would be an awesome piece of work.

BTW thanks for the idea. I am thinking about an ebony stained wood dash now.
id_unavailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Make the entire dashpad out of solid mahogany, you'll have the original as a template for shape and screw holes. Match it up, and bolt it on. I would make it a different shape on the front. Thats what Im gonna do eventually, but havent decided on wood type yet. Mahogany is a good choice. I'll do door panels to match, also. Let us know what you decide and post pics when you're done, please. Good luck.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I know a guy (board member) who has a '68 with alternating light/dark laminated wood dash pad and arm rests. I thought that was a cool touch.

Veneering may be tough with the curvature.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If it were me I would try to match it using hydrographic printing. Much easier to apply than what your considering.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
darkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If it were me I would try to match it using hydrographic printing. Much easier to apply than what your considering.

what is hydrographic printing? is is flexible/rubbery? this would be nice doing corners etc. also can it be stained? thanks!
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Stubbs67

what about a quality printed vinyl wrap? a good graphics shop can match a wood grain if you take them a stained finished sample, and print a vinyl panel that you can stretch on with a blow drier. you could keep the dash pad soft even! they are really nice for those lap belted sudden stops after all!
My Build Thread!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433751

Need step tail gate and bed front, driver door, both front fenders (both are bondo'd nightmares). can trade fleetside bed parts real straight (except sides) or pay some cash (i am pretty broke)
Stubbs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
rcrahn

Between 1920s and 1930s many car companies applied woodgraining to dashes and interiors. It's an art that some companies still specialize in today. I have been fascinated by this and considering some use of it in my project. The best company I found offering products for DIYers is GrainIt. Their website has many videos and pics. Hope this helps....

http://woodgraining.com/
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote