The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
CountryGirlT

Lightbulb Full body clear coat/gloss paint job?

Hey hey! Wow it's been 6 months since I've been on this forum. Figured I get back into it before I start cleaning up my old '72 GMC!

I wanted to know if any of y'all have ever gotten a glossy clear coat on your truck? Did you do it yourself or bring it to a place? How much money are we talkin'?

My truck has some wear on the hood and some rusty areas that I actually really like the look of but I'd just like to kind of preserve it the way that it is and give it a little glossy shine if you know what I mean.

I'd rather take it to a place to get the job done 100% perfect but it depends on the money we're talking about.

Thanks a bunch!

Name:  my green beauty.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  60.2 KB
Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Full body clear coat/gloss paint job?

Cool truck. It's got nice patina

I like to use Zymol Cleaner Wax on mine. It gets the oxidation and chalk off, nourishes the paint, and gives it a good shine. Use it before winter, in the spring, and then again in the summer. You can get it at Walmart, or just about any parts store

Here's what my truck looks like after using it

Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
CountryGirlT

Oh man may I say you have a BEAUTIFUL Chevy! And a beautiful dog

I may do that, I was just thinking about a more permanent covering
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Thanks!

Clear coating is always an option, but for $20 and a couple hours, you may find that you'll be satisfied with the results. If not, no harm. Move to plan B and have it clear coated

Here's the stuff I used
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

By the way, this is a picture of a bug I saw at a car show that had original patina that they cleared over. It looked amazing. So, if you decide after using the wax I recommended that you still want it to be even shinier, this might give you an idea of what it could look like
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
grancuda

I would never clear over to "preserve", once the current day low chemical base clear coat starts flaking your preserved paint job will be gone. The old paint is better as it is than with the clear over it.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Keith Seymore

As a comparison I paid $3200 for a full paint job, in the original Code 72 Apple Red, in base coat/clear coat.

Shop was local to me; I did all the prep (including patch panels) and all they had to do was spray it.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Tinkermc

As a painter I don't want to burst your bubble but if you wax it you can't paint it without removing all wax and sanding is the easiest way to remove wax. So if you really like what you have decide which way you want to go before you do something that is not reversable
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
As a painter I don't want to burst your bubble but if you wax it you can't paint it without removing all wax and sanding is the easiest way to remove wax. So if you really like what you have decide which way you want to go before you do something that is not reversable
While sanding might be the easiest way to remove wax, if painting the truck is the ultimate goal, I doubt there would be much (if any) wax left after a good Washington winter, followed by a sudsy soap bath, and maybe even a follow up wipe down with a degreaser cleaner and towel. No? That's why I apply it 3x a year. Hell, maybe even a gentle "CLR bath" if all else fails to get the wax off, prior to clearing the original finish.

I still think she will be happy with the results from waxing. Even clearing the truck would require frequent waxing after the fact to maintain the shine
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
quick60

Welcome back!!If you like the patina go with Mister Bs advice, his truck looks awsome. If you want to paint it check out the this build thread. He has done an amazing job with 99% of the work himself. When he went to get paint prices it was still a couple of thousand. Not to deter you but just the reality of getting a decent paint job.

Good luck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=292529
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
CountryGirlT

Mister-B the bug looks awesome! I'm thinking I will try out the wax

Thanks everybody!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
hugger6933

Still yet, trying the wax before the clear, bad idea all around. I don't wax anywhere near anything I'm gonna try to spray at least ^ months before a base/clear job. I don't know where that figure is coming from weather I pulled it out of my but or from some real source, but I do know that a small tiny bit of wax can and will wreck a paint job. Even if you can can the wax off without the sanding method,[and I'm with Tinker here you can't]it would be so detrimental to the underlying coats that it would not look the same after as it did before, leaving a low chance of satisfaction. You can restore them a hundred times, they are original only once. That is hard to say[ type] coming from a body guy that restores and rebuilds. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancuda View Post
I would never clear over to "preserve", once the current day low chemical base clear coat starts flaking your preserved paint job will be gone. The old paint is better as it is than with the clear over it.
I have a friend that restores/repairs/paints million dollar exotics (true AC Cobras, real GT-40's, classic Ferrari's, etc) and that's what he said. The original paint is lacquer and if you try to clear over it the solvents in the new clear will attack the old paint and just make a real mess. Not saying it can't be done- just saying its risky if you want to keep the original paint.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote