The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
JORGIE95961

i took my steering column apart now its weird

Non tilt column shift... my shifter was totaly frozen astuck.. i tore the column apart wire brushed and oild up th elower section.. after i put it altogether.. the section where the blinker is in is totaly loose.. i attched the thre screws but its more the outer metal casing that is loose.. basicaly where the shifter (prnd21 part) goes.. how does this secure on there?
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
FLcustom10

Re: i took my steering column apart now its weird

I just went through this last weekend. After putting the steering column together and taking it apart about 5 times, I think I figured it out. You have to attach the metal casing first, before screwing in the turn signal assembly. Slide the metal casing on, twist it to secure, making sure the hazard signal opening is on the right side, THEN slide the hazard switch through the hole and screw in the turn signal assembly as a unit. It helps to have someone holding the metal casing while you are putting the switch in place. The process of screwing in the turn signal locks everything in place. You may have to get two screws in place, then turn the signal before you can put the third screw in. Also - there's a clip on the switch to hold the wires out of the way. I don't think it's as secure on the after-market switch as it was on the original. I wish it had pushed the wires further out of the way.
Attached Images

Last edited by FLcustom10; 07-17-2011 at 07:24 PM.
FLcustom10 is offline   Reply With Quote