The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
dhpenner

LSX Header / Engine Mount Problems

Okay so here is the problem. I love the look of the Doug Thorley LSX swap headers... But i dont like the price. I bought some stainless steel headers on ebay for around 200 shipped to Canada. They showed up and are beautiful, but they dont fit with my current setup. My first thought was to get rid of my CPP tubular mounts in favor of some ECE mounts. They look like they dont stick up as much. Then i saw a thread about adapter plates that move the engine back 2 inches. My engine is already in the back mounts (i think they are refered to as the 6 cylinder mounts... not sure)

My question is, What do you think i should do? I dont want to get rid of the headers, i think the cheapest solution would be to change out adapter plates. They'll run me around 100 bucks but they also move my engine back which will be a bonus for handling/balance etc...

Ive attached some pictures. The one with the blue tape is where the headers would be in relation to the mounts if they were moved back 2 inches.
Attached Images

dhpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Re: LSX Header / Engine Mount Problems

Do you have a welder? I'd fab up a set of mounts to get everthing to fit would where you want.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
dhpenner

Im not talented enough to pull that off. I keep my welding to sheet metal.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Move the motor back to accommodate a set of headers? I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time it was done.

I'm no expert, but I'm focusing on logic, here. If it's cost, what about the cost of a new-length drive shaft?

Then you have the mundane aspects of rad hoses...probably not, but maybe stock length aircond lines, etc.

It just seems like a slippery slope to move the motor back.
Not your issue with the mounts, but I had to notch my frame for some headers.

I know this wasn't the question, but new headers would probably be the cheapest way to go.

Or, I'm misreading the whole post?...Maybe?
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 09-21-2011 at 12:52 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
dhpenner

No i appreciate the input. I am in the build stage and do not have a driveshaft made, its an LS1 so no dizzy to worry about and ive measured everything close to the fire wall and it looks like it will all fit without too much headache. I would have to move my Trans Cross memeber again but thats not a big deal.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpenner View Post
No i appreciate the input. I am in the build stage and do not have a driveshaft made, its an LS1 so no dizzy to worry about and ive measured everything close to the fire wall and it looks like it will all fit without too much headache. I would have to move my Trans Cross memeber again but thats not a big deal.
Yeah. Sorry. I re-read the post and was editing my reply as you wrote.

Hammer on........Have fun.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
rob32472

I used ECE mounts and thorleys with my swap with zero issues in fact the transmission cross member used one of the original bolt holes on each side. I think the engine looks better closer to the firewall anyway. You won't regret it for sure
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
sodak68

Do you remember the name of the eBay store you got the headers from? I just used whatever frame stands where in my truck and trans-dapt adapters plates and just drilled new holes in the frame and mounted the stands with engine as far back as it could go. I haven settled on headers yet and those look like they would work great and cheap.
Attached Images

sodak68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

I think your least expensive option is to get some square body clam shell style engine mounts & stands. They are much lower at the interference point you have and will most likely fix your problem.

I got a set for under $10. Pretty much every small block powered two wheel drive square body from 73 to 91 will have the parts you need.

The steel mount on the engine side has the same standard 3-bolt pattern so it will bolt right to the LSx adapters you have.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote