The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
the-wreck

Holley Carb Problem-Need Help

Hello
Trying to get my 69 finished. I have a 600 cfm vac. secondary Holley with almost zero miles on it. Put it on the truck and it runs pretty rich. Then it floods and stalls like the float is stuck. Take the frt, bowel off and it looks clean, everything moves correctly and the float looks fine as well as the float setting . Put it together and the same thing floods over-through the veture by the choke horn. What could be the problem? Id hate to replace this at this point. Thank you
the-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:34 PM   #2
sbrban

I've got a holley 3310 and I put a fuel regulator on the fuel line before it goes into the carb don't know if it would make a difference or not but I at least know how much fuel I'm dumpin' in the carb.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:39 PM   #3
Alaskan
Truck'n the alcan

Check the needle and seat, might just be dirt stuck in it or the float could be leaking, to check just remove it from the bowl and shake it. Lastly check the fuel pressure at the carb should be 7 to 10 psi if I remember rite. To much and it will get by the seat.

Last edited by Alaskan; 10-09-2002 at 07:14 AM.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:40 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

On your o-1850 600, have you had bowls off?......check to see if the bouyancy spring has bounced out that goes under the float......that will cause a big flood over problem. good luck.....crazy longhorn
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:48 PM   #5
Gene

sbrban is absolutely right, put a regulator or a fuel pressure gauge inline to carb. because holleys are notorious for having fuel pressure problems, most street holleys are only capable of handling 7 psi. and some stock fuel pumps put out more than that. When this happens the fuel blows past the needle and causes flooding.. I have an Edelbrock 600 and have had none of these problems and have never set my float but holleys are good too when set correctly.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:22 AM   #6
the-wreck

Thanks guys. I will check the above mentioned items. I was thinking I may have too much fule pressure, howerver, I have used lots of Holleys over time and never had one fllod over like this due to fp. Then again it could happen.
the-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:40 AM   #7
67shortie
Green club

Ya, holley should have 6-7 psi, no more. The one common problem I have run into with the symtoms you describe is a float that is set too high or a needle and seat that has dirt in it as others have suggested here.
To check the float, run the engine (if possible) pull the sight plug off of the bowl, the fuel level should be just at the bottom edge of the sight hole. If it is pouring out uncontrolably, shut the engine off and pull the needle and seat out of the bowl by unscrewing the top of the assembley on top of the bowl fuel inlet. You don't have to pull the whole bowl off of the metering block possibly wasting a gasket and a bowl full of fuel. Look for dirt, even the slightest bit of it will screw thing up in a major way. If clean, screw it back in, adjust it to get a static level (approx) and fire the engine. Recheck the sight plug method and raise/lower as nessassary.

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote