The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Thomlost

Front drum problems... need help

So I have a 1968 GMC C2500 3/4ton LB and I recently replaced the brakes and tried to take the drums into a shop to get turned and after about 3 failed attempts (because apparently no one has the specs anymore) I decided to just buy new drums. I got them from Auto Zone and got home and as I was installing them I noticed the screw holes didn't line up and there was no adjustment hole/window so I took them back and showed them the problem but of course they had no other options so I got my money back and went to O'Reilly. Well apparently they have the exact same product... Does anyone make a new drum for my truck that actually has the correct screw offset and an adjustment window for the front brakes (and preferably isn't made in China)?
Thomlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Front drum problems... need help

Good luck with that. All you can do is make sure that all the hardware and adjusters are working correctly. Don't worry about the screws holding the drum on. Adjust the shoes the best you can to the drum you are putting on and call it good. Drive it around to get everything 'seated' and make sure it doesn't pull one way or the other. I went through the same thing about 3 years ago on my same truck,............still works fine
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Look at Rock Auto's website. They show AC Delco (not cheap) among others.

Napa may be another to check.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Former member Yoder213

cant remember if its front or rear, but one of those they don't have available ANYWHERE. One guy on here was talking with me and he found out that a cast must be made and new drums poured. at 265 a piece and an order size of 8 drums mandatory.

Front axle swap or find the disc brake caliper brackets and build a conversion kit is what I decided were my options, I found an axle

Good Luck!
Former member Yoder213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
GRX

Yeah, good luck with that. When replacing the entire brake system on my '69 c10 long stepper I tried every source I could find. All were made in China. Ended up going with drums from NAPA because they looked more beefy than other options. And yes I ground off where is said "made in China".
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
litew8

Looks like RockAuto might have them. Like this? $38 bucks

ACDELCO Part # 18B462 {#19183567, 89058322} Professional Durastop
Front; Do Not Use with OEM Metallic Lining; with 11-5/32 in x 2-3/4 in Brakes

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...804&cc=1144369
Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
GRX

^^ that is about what I paid for my chinese drums from NAPA. Can anyone confirm whether or not those Rock Auto drums are made in the USA? Been a couple years. Seems when searching I found they were chinese too.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Lately, my ACDelco purchases have been running about 75% Chinese made. I've gotten away from them somewhat because I can no longer trust the brand to deliver USA made stuff.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
And yes I ground off where is said "made in China".
Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Lately, my ACDelco purchases have been running about 75% Chinese made. I've gotten away from them somewhat because I can no longer trust the brand to deliver USA made stuff.

Not only brake parts, but recently (actually about a year now) have been buying water pumps at the local GM dealer for the newer trucks. Brand New In The Box Genuine GM AC Delco...red white and blue box........says made in china (mainland). A LOT (say 90%) of my recent purchases for brake parts have been china except for the occasional Raybestos made in Venezuela, which may be old stuff in the warehouse that hasn't been sold till now
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
FirstOwner69

If they are all made in China, I guess I'd bet my money on those with ACDelco on the box. Especially since they appear in the picture to at least have the adjustment slot the OP was looking for. Maybe check to see if any local dealers have one in stock to inspect. Then buy them at Rock Auto unless the dealer will match the price.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
68c10airstream

Hi Thomlost, I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions from people here (all good) but if i lived in salt free reno i would source a cross member from say 78-87 c2500, get the cross member complete= upper and lower suspension complete with rotors and spindles, get all steering components= drag link, pitman arm, steering gearbox (it will be a quicker ratio) get the rag joint, steering pump lines including the fitting screwed into the back of the pump and a new master cylinder and don't look back. I believe there are 8 bolts that hold the complete cross member with suspension to remove it from the frame rails. You will improve so many issues in one swoop you won't regret it. Disc brakes (better and safer) quicker and firmer steering, sturdier steering pivot points, oh and grab the antisway bar while you are at it if yours is small diameter or is missing. Good luck, Brian Fuller
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomlost View Post
So I have a 1968 GMC C2500 3/4ton LB and I recently replaced the brakes and tried to take the drums into a shop to get turned and after about 3 failed attempts (because apparently no one has the specs anymore) I decided to just buy new drums. I got them from Auto Zone and got home and as I was installing them I noticed the screw holes didn't line up and there was no adjustment hole/window so I took them back and showed them the problem but of course they had no other options so I got my money back and went to O'Reilly. Well apparently they have the exact same product... Does anyone make a new drum for my truck that actually has the correct screw offset and an adjustment window for the front brakes (and preferably isn't made in China)?
The specs should be embossed on the old drum. It's hard to believe that they can't do them.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
cdowns

you can easily add an access hole to adjust the brakes if you need to
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
rocks409

What exactly is "easily" ? the drums I have seen in the past were marked with indentions as to where to knock out the plugs. My '70 C20 has no reference as to where to open up. I can't believe they made a brake drum for a 3/4 ton truck and provided no access to adjust brakes.
rocks409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I drilled two holes in my drums and dremmeled between them to make my adjustment holes. It's not hard and took me about 10-15 mins per drum. ( I work slow )

Like you I tried everywhere, but evidently the older casting of the drums with the front adjustment hole are not done anymore. I am guessing they expect you to use the newer backing plate that has the adjustment hole on it instead of the drum.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
seth7843

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
Hi Thomlost, I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions from people here (all good) but if i lived in salt free reno i would source a cross member from say 78-87 c2500, get the cross member complete= upper and lower suspension complete with rotors and spindles, get all steering components= drag link, pitman arm, steering gearbox (it will be a quicker ratio) get the rag joint, steering pump lines including the fitting screwed into the back of the pump and a new master cylinder and don't look back. I believe there are 8 bolts that hold the complete cross member with suspension to remove it from the frame rails. You will improve so many issues in one swoop you won't regret it. Disc brakes (better and safer) quicker and firmer steering, sturdier steering pivot points, oh and grab the antisway bar while you are at it if yours is small diameter or is missing. Good luck, Brian Fuller

This is exactly what I would do and what I plan to do on my 67' C20. I just rebuilt my front drums and hubs and boy was it expensive. I'm sure I can find the entire crossmember from a 78-87 for much cheaper than it was to rebuild the brakes.

There are some posts on how to drill out the adjustment holes on the drums on this site. You should be able to adjust them out where there is a little friction between the drum and the shoes as you put them back on. Then do many reverse stops in the truck to get them to self adjust. Just be careful!
seth7843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomlost View Post
After new rotors warped in record time and having to replace lifetime u-joints every 5 years or so, I no longer buy anything that spins from Autozone.

Have you tried a machine shop instead of a brake service shop to turn them? If they aren't egg-shaped they will usually just turn them enough to clean them up good.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote