The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
cpnbnanamn

Parking brake cable issue

So, I'm trying to replace the parking brake cable and I have picked up a new front cable from Inline Tubing... The initial problem I had was that when I try clamping the cable onto the bracket and pull the handle, it pulls right through the clamp. So, I bent in part of the clamp to try and keep it form pulling through. That helped... sorta. Now, what's happening, when I clamp the cable in, it binds up. As soon as I take the bolt out of the bracket, and leave the clamp around the cable, it loosens up moves freely. WTH?
What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images

cpnbnanamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
octane

Re: Parking brake cable issue

I ran into the same problem when I was building my truck. The crimped part of your bracket is there for a stop for the cable housing to but up against. If that makes any sense... So only the round portion of the bracket actually clamps on the cable housing. The end of the housing is pulled against the crimped part of the bracket when you apply the parking brake. Hope this helps...

1971 C10 Cheyenne - Project Truck
1971 C10 Super Cheyenne - Driver
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
davepl

The shielded part of the cable gets clamped by the "open" part of the clamp you're holding - the end of that shield butts up against the crimped part as a stop, as mentioned above. So you wind up with a gap at the end where that crimped part is so that only the wire cable, not the shielding, goes through the crimped section.

Does that make sense? I can likely get a picture of mine if needed, so long as it's visible in the installed position (don't recall).
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

This may, or may not, help. This is on my '69.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
cpnbnanamn

It does help, but something still isn't right. I bent those prongs to help retain the cable. They weren't bent inwards before. I think what's happening is that it's the angle at which the cable is being forced to bend once attached to the bracket, binding it, which is a result of how much higher up on the collar of the cable I'm clamping it to retain it.
I've created a crude drawing to show what I mean.
I'm also wondering if I've screwed up the clamp, and now need to replace it.
Really pretty frustrated with this. Replacing a brake cable shouldn't have been this hard.
Attached Images

Last edited by cpnbnanamn; 09-13-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

It sounds like you have a 67 or 68 since you said something about pulling the handle. I don't know what differences there are cable-wise when compared with the 69 and up trucks with the foot operated parking brake. I don't know why you'd have the bend you mentioned. Where specifically is it? Under the hood or inside the cab?
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
cpnbnanamn

Sorry.. It is in a '67, and it's part of the hand-operated parking brake assembly under the dash. I'm thinking that the clamp is putting just enough of a sideways tweak on the cable to bind it up.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
cpnbnanamn

Ok... I might have solved this. I had to slightly modify the clamp so that it didn't tweak the collar on the cable so much. I accomplished this by shaving that tang down just a tad, and placing a washer inside the clamp to keep it from pinching the collar. Seems to work ok. I've tested it a little, but will test it more and adjust the tension as time goes on. Thanks for all of the help, guys!!

-Roger