The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
combustion

t56 issue

i picked up a camaro 6 speed tranny from my local junkyard for a steal. i payed 180 for the thing with no warranty. the car had just been dropped off at the junkyard like 2 days before i got there. now my question is that will it clear the tunnel for my 71. i know the shifter sits somewhat back more but it dont matter because i got buckets in it. now my issue comes when someone told me that my gen 5 454 didnt have a clutch pivot point (or something like the clutch. so can anybody help? i can resell the tranny as is with bellhousing and get more than the money i payed for but i kinda want it in my truck. No matter much people tell me to stick with the autos im building my truck the way i want. so if anybody has anything to help with i would really apreciate it.

the tranny is off a lt1 maro

specs on my engine are in my sig

thanx again
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be
Re: t56 issue

you have to remeber that both the motor and the tranny were intended to have hydro setups, not 100% sure if the nv4500 would have used a hydro throwout bearing but the t56 did.

its a very simple system, clutch to res, res to slave/bearing. and return line.

if you dont whant it is woth $400 easy
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
GRAYGHOST

i put a t56 in my truck. i used the camreo slave cylinder and a clutch master cylnder off a 94 s10 truck. if you have the high hump you won't have to cut it out( low hump you will).
GRAYGHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

i have a T56. i had to cut out my low hump. it really depends on what engine you have in there, where the engine is mounted (both how high and how far back) and what tranny mount you use as to whether or not you'll need to cut the floor.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
combustion

well im not afraid to cut the tunnel or anything like that. im just concerned about the clutch issue since i have a gen 5 bbc
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

the clutch can be a pain in the ass, depends on how you do it. i had to do a ton of research before i became comfortable with buying anything. I ended up purchasing a Wilwood generic MC with 1.4" stroke and .700 bore, if i remember right - it has an integrated resevoir. mounting it to the firewall next to the brake MC in my truck, then running a line down to the tranny from there.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
airdale94

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
you have to remeber that both the motor and the tranny were intended to have hydro setups, not 100% sure if the nv4500 would have used a hydro throwout bearing but the t56 did.

its a very simple system, clutch to res, res to slave/bearing. and return line.

if you dont whant it is woth $400 easy
No the T56s in 4th Gen Camaros use a non hydraulic T/O bearing and clutch fork. It has a reverse mounted hyd. slave cyl. that mounts on the bell housing and pushes the the clutch fork forwards when you push on the clutch pedal. At least the 95 I had was setup that way.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote