The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Jordanbsparks

exhaust leak nightmare......

Hi all! Been a bit since my last post here but i sure am glad these fourms exists.
so the deal isis that iv got a 74 k10 with the i6 250 is got quite a bit of miles on it. I was driving down the interstate and pulled off to get gas, well at tje light to get back on i was accelerating and something gave way and i had the most bad a#@ exhaust leak ive ever experience. Got back took off manifolds and saw that on the #3 exhaust on the corner of the ma ifold there was black splater mark witch i saw as a pretty good sign thats where it was leaking. Well i replaced gasket, replaced manifold, had intake and exhaust manifolds re surfaced with new gasket .....AND a lot high temp rtv. Still a leak at the #3 and the only option i see left is somehow the head is warped right there not allowing the manifold set up to seal and blowing gasses out the asses of the manifold. If anyone has input on any similar experience please help im at the end of my line.
Thanks
Jordanbsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

Re: exhaust leak nightmare......

Never mind. Missed the part about replacing the manifold on the first read/through

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Jordanbsparks

If it was before it got trued up at the shop it shouldnt be anymore they took about a quarter inch off of both.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
Jordanbsparks

Re: READ, EXHAUST LEAK FOUND AND FIXED...NEVER SAW IT COMING

So i got it fixed and it was something iv never seen b4 or considered. This is a lesson at the school of hard knocks and know it will help some un suspected shade tree mechanic in the future. So the truck was making a suck pow kindof noise when turning over and when started it just sounded like a bad A exhaust leak. I pulled the head to inspect the gasket and there it was lookin at me with a smile, the gasket blew inbetween the head bolts and water runners and was....wel there it was. Problem solved. Im npt a v8 guy so im unsure if that could happen. The big deal is the manifold assembly was right on top pf it on the i6 and made it look and sound just like a manifold leak if you didnt know what to look for.
•all chevy 6s could have this issue (- integrated head)
•if suck pew is hurd before ignition and there is oily residue on block below manifold, if vech stops holding idle if suck pew is hurd before ignition you might have blown head gasket. Those were the signs i experienced. Could have saved 75$ at shop and a lot of time if i knew those things
Btw it blew my mind to see where it came apart, a whole 1/2 inch of head gasket GONE and still ran, did not over heat, and did not send coolant into the case.....for the 56 miles i drove it like that to get back. Hope this helps keep heart ache from someone else
Go straight six-out.

Last edited by Jordanbsparks; 07-06-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: found and kiked problems rear
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
D13

Sixes are tough, and it's hard to figure out what's leaking on that side. Glad you got it fixed.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote