The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

Fuel smell, charcoal canisters, and me

OK Everyone. I have a weird problem that pretty much everybody else has had. I couldn't find very much information by searching - so here goes.

My cab smells after sitting like gas - fairly strong. I had the seat out last weeknd and replaced all of the rubber line in the cab and replaced the clamps too. I found the vent thingie that goes up the B-pillar, and was confused. What does it do? I know that the tank vent eventually leads back to the charcoal canister -and I know what that does. Has anyone every had one of these leaking before? Can I bypass it? The answer to that is obviously 'no', because GM would have done that too.

OK, what do I replace next: O ring around sender, vent tube thingie or under cab lines?
I can't see how this would be the cap - it doesn't seal- this is obvious, but neither does the replacement. Wouldn't that make my garage smell like gas instead? Same goes for the fuel nech/cab gasket - why would that make the interior smell?

I hope this is not going to end up being the tank - I don't have the $$$ for this.

Thanks in advance!!

-Brian
Old 05-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
72BLUZ

Re: Fuel smell, charcoal canisters, and me

I Have A 72, And Mine Has No Canister. Mine Is Blocked Off And Runs Fine
Old 05-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
GREASEMONKEY72

the cab is going to smell like gas from time to time since after all the gas tank is right there in the cab and i took my charcoal canister off also and i didnt notice a difference

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Texasdeere

If the tank is not leaking and you replaced the hoses already. I would do the O-ring next. I just replaced my tank, sending unit with O-ring, and hoses. I can fill up my tank all the way into the filler neck with no gas smell in the cab.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote